Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 04:36 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,691,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdygirly View Post
I know these messages are kinda old but I'm new to this site and felt I needed to comment to this one (can't help myself sometimes) on account of the fact that I live in southeast texas (golden triangle area) and KNOW that it is made up predominatly of rednecks and I mean the term negatively and yet people out hear have 'redneck and proud' bumper stickers! Anyways so my comment to this person's post about the redneckness of this area (sorry If I don't quote this right I've never done it!!) and I'm not trying to argue just disagreeing from my own personal experience...

You mean they will only do all this is you are also a conservative white christian. If you look, talk, or think differently (or at all) this is immediatly untrue. I saw first hand the 'compassion' in the area during Katrina when there were countless protests and all you heard was 'why cant those <insert bad racial slur> go somewhere else (and this was about a week after it happened).

Hmph yeah again I say they don't bother anyone who is exactly like them, try being an atheist or liberal in the area and see how 'left alone' they make you.

Unless you are refering to freedom of religion or seperation of church and state, then they havent the vaguest ideas what you are talking about.

Like I said, if you are not 'one size fits all' you are not treated in the way you discribe! Diversity or open-mindedness is NOT valued, which I think is ONE of the main things that make rednecks rednecks.
I have seen the same things as well as a few of my friends, you are not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you are generalizing too much. A few bad eggs are one thing, overall small town people, whether rednecks or whatever you want to call them are the salt of the earth. By the way, I am the farthest thing from a redneck, but I do know plenty of them.

You have a pretty narrow mind about the subject obviously.

Nita
A FEW bad eggs? I have lived here for over 3 decades and even my best friend tells me that he is amazed at how many people that I know,but even so, people here only are nice and help you if you are a white conservative christian. It's sad but true. I have lived in other parts of Texas and I have never had problems until I came back here. And she is pretty narrow minded? Not to mention the fact that the rednecks that I know don't like: blacks, hispanics, only listen to country music, only deal with people of one political party, only go to certain places, only hang out with certain people, will not learn about any other culture, will not learn any other language, thinks any job that is not "outside" is girl work...im sorry, which is more close minded now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 AM

61 posts, read 113,151 times
I want Annise Parker to mandate a wall ( a la Berlin) to keep the rednecks out of Houston. Yet, they can be mildly amusing and I wouldn't want them to be eliminated completely. Would a 'Redneck Zoo' be against the Geneva Conventions?
Visitors could throw them them beef jerky (and any other nutrient deficient, artery-clogging foods).

Old 08-04-2013, 09:17 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,823,832 times
A good book that explains some things about the mindset of the folks in East Texas, and the Big Thicket area is " Big Thicket Legacy" by Campbell, and Francis E. Abernethy, and published by the University of Texas press, 1977. The stories highlight different people and their lives in the Big Thicket, and areas around there. As someone else posted, these people are fiercely independent, highly resourceful, and would rather do without than have the Government dictate their lives. A very interesting book.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:50 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Wow, this post is wrong on so many levels.

I have lived in texas all my life and have NEVER received or gotten help from any "redneck". What i have gotten from them though, is a lack of culture, ignorance, and racism. This is not just one person but many people. Also, there is nothing wrong with "yankee" people. In fact, they have been a lot nicer to me than southerners have thats for sure.
Uhhh, could it only be wrong because perhaps you might not be open to Texas/Southern hospitality? What, exactly, was your experience? Reckon that could be the case? That is, because you are the one with the hostile pre-formed attitude about others? Not saying that was the case, but it might be important to tell exactly what happened.

And what is your definition of a "redneck"? The reply to that might lead to some very revealing explanations as to your outlook on East Texas (or any other part of the Deep South for that matter).

And so far as "Yankees" go? My own children are half-yankee (their mother was from Up North). I think you are missing something here. If so? I will be more than happy to go over it with you!

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-04-2013 at 02:00 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 07:06 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,767 posts, read 4,120,485 times
Quote:
I have seen the same things as well as a few of my friends, you are not the only one.

A FEW bad eggs? I have lived here for over 3 decades and even my best friend tells me that he is amazed at how many people that I know,but even so, people here only are nice and help you if you are a white conservative christian. It's sad but true. I have lived in other parts of Texas and I have never had problems until I came back here. And she is pretty narrow minded? Not to mention the fact that the rednecks that I know don't like: blacks, hispanics, only listen to country music, only deal with people of one political party, only go to certain places, only hang out with certain people, will not learn about any other culture, will not learn any other language, thinks any job that is not "outside" is girl work...im sorry, which is more close minded now?
Sounds like you are just as intolerant of people whose lifestyles, views, and educational levels are different than yours, as you accuse those mean old east Texas "rednecks" as being.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,691,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Sounds like you are just as intolerant of people whose lifestyles, views, and educational levels are different than yours, as you accuse those mean old east Texas "rednecks" as being.
How do you know? You don't KNOW me at all. I'm not like people here, I have interacted with a lot of people and a lot of times i just shut up and listen to what they say. The "N" word is thrown around like its nothing, if you see the list that I put up in the earlier post, that is just some of what they are intolerant of. I personally don't care, and I have went to school with several people like that, but that's just it, if I didn't know them previously, then you can forget about people being nice, helping you. They want to stay in their cliques then they can have it. I have never looked down on someone for being "less educated" than myself either, though I did have a friend that was kinda insecure about it, but that is his issue and not mine.

In essence, people are only that way if you grew up with them and that's it. When I came back here, I really tried to give this place a chance, even saying that I would go and do things that other people do around here. It didn't last long before the racism loomed over. I have so many stories here that it's ridiculous. People say to not paint everyone with a broad brush and I agree, but its hard and one can only provide excuses for people here so many times before things start to become a reality. Ok, close minded, lets see how many times does this have to happen, 10, 20, or 30 times, before someone finally says ok I give up, I guess that's just how people are here.

FWIW, I did tell my friend about the whole kkk bakery thing, he said that he saw a kkk bus pulled over to the side of the road, going down 105. Apparently, they were having a rally he said. This was in 2005.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:39 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times
Quote:
How do you know? You don't KNOW me at all. I'm not like people here, I have interacted with a lot of people and a lot of times i just shut up and listen to what they say. The "N" word is thrown around like its nothing, if you see the list that I put up in the earlier post, that is just some of what they are intolerant of. I personally don't care, and I have went to school with several people like that, but that's just it, if I didn't know them previously, then you can forget about people being nice, helping you. They want to stay in their cliques then they can have it. I have never looked down on someone for being "less educated" than myself either, though I did have a friend that was kinda insecure about it, but that is his issue and not mine.
Again, maybe it is your own attitude that is the essence of the problem you have. I am sorry if you have had bullying type experiences. But I maintain you still come across somewhat as one who is just looking for an excuse to cry "redneck- racist".

Quote:
In essence, people are only that way if you grew up with them and that's it. When I came back here, I really tried to give this place a chance, even saying that I would go and do things that other people do around here. It didn't last long before the racism loomed over. I have so many stories here that it's ridiculous. People say to not paint everyone with a broad brush and I agree, but its hard and one can only provide excuses for people here so many times before things start to become a reality. Ok, close minded, lets see how many times does this have to happen, 10, 20, or 30 times, before someone finally says ok I give up, I guess that's just how people are here.
Golly gee whiz...isn't that tolerant of you to "give the place a chance", as if you consider yourself the grand judge of things. Perhaps you really didn't give the place a chance. Isn't that possible. That you yourself was the one looking for a metaphorical fight?

Quote:
FWIW, I did tell my friend about the whole kkk bakery thing, he said that he saw a kkk bus pulled over to the side of the road, going down 105. Apparently, they were having a rally he said. This was in 2005.
The KKK is a joke today. It has no power in Texas nor any other Southern state. But anyway, what rally was this "friend" talking about? Where was it? Where did it take place? What bus where they on?

Please back this up with evidence and details. I am sick to hell of people telling self-described stories about Texas/Southern KKK and "racist" experiences that, usually fall apart completely under questioning as to details...or else amount to a hill of beans.

Your turn. How large was this KKK bus and where was this rally and town? Where did you live in East Texas? Where where you bullied and called a "N" in regular vernacular? Those should be easy questions to answer...

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-04-2013 at 08:50 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 09:12 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,227,945 times
Intolerance is a bad but very normal human characteristic. However, to some folks it controls their existence. There's always something to hate no matter where they are or who they are dealing with. To me, returning intolerance with intolerance is intolerance and one who does is giving in to one of the lowest forms of human nature.

But back to east Texas rednecks as I go somewhere else.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,178,837 times
Quote:

Reading your posts, and their tone, all I could think was, "You get what you put out there," and clearly you put out a vibe and attitude that makes people want to NOT help you. I've lived in Texas (including East Texas) twice as long as you have, and have had just the opposite experience. Maybe because I don't put out the kind of hateful attitude that you exhibit in your posts.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,741,212 times
Quote:

Vidor is NOT in the golden triangle and if you dont believe me, then get a map.

Did somebody move Vidor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas