Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:40 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,996,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
That is what I have always heard as well, LR. Still though, I have never really deeply researched the etomology of the term, so can't say for sure.

Anyway, like you, what I had always "heard" was that it originated as a sorta "derogatory" term used by "city folks" (especially in the South and parts of the Midwest) to refer to the the working class -- especially farmers -- who spent a lot of time out in the sun...
Yeah, no matter what the origins of the term "redneck", like you said, most urbanites that I've ever spoken to certainly use it as a derogatory term. I have quite a few farmers and ranchers in my extended family (here in Texas and up in the Midwest) and have known many other farmers and ranchers out here in West Texas over the years and for the most part these people have a great work ethic, good values, and are generally very kind, loving, helpful, and friendly people. So, I say if that's what a "redneck" is, I would consider it an extreme complement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 02:39 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,575,282 times
Quote:
That is what I have always heard as well, LR. Still though, I have never really deeply researched the etomology of the term, so can't say for sure.

Anyway, like you, what I had always "heard" was that it originated as a sorta "derogatory" term used by "city folks" (especially in the South and parts of the Midwest) to refer to the the working class -- especially farmers -- who spent a lot of time out in the sun...
Of course, in South Africa they call persons of British descent "rooineks." This comes from either the fact that when the British came to South Africa they wore red uniforms or else that they got sunburnt because they didn't wear proper neck protection.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:31 AM

13 posts, read 34,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Most hold a good paying job and live a good life. ***** Forget the stereotypes. They are just like everyone else. They just grew up in very rural areas having less restrictive laws then else where. They are probably happier then their city slicker comrads.
I think this is called self sufficiency. Its a talent not generally shared by city bread academics and so called intellectuals who pass out the redneck labels and who couldn't survive a day outside their little institutions.

Care to try an experiment ? Try disagreeing with a "Red Neck" then do the same with a so called "Intellectual". A measure of self esteem can be taken as inversely proportional to the severity of the reaction you get. Besides that, its fun .

Old 06-21-2009, 02:08 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,046,375 times
HKMark23 are you new to the Tyler area? If so, where are you from?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:28 PM

13 posts, read 34,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
HKMark23 are you new to the Tyler area? If so, where are you from?
Hi

Sorry, I haven't introduced myself at all so here goes.

My wife and I live in Atlantic Canada in a town not much bigger than Tyler. We're investigating future retirement possibilities that will get us out of the -40 deg. winters up here, but Florida condos aren't really our style. Last year I worked on a job in SE Asia with a great guy who lives in the Piney Woods area. That's how I came to be checking out Tyler. We're looking into some Arizona cities too.

My real estate searches and other internet snooping lead me to this site. The posts here have been informative and thus far comforting to a couple of conservative Canadians, "yes, we do exist ".

About the East Texas heat, would living in a lakeside home on Lake Palestine or Tyler offer any real respite?

Thanx and Regards HK

Old 06-21-2009, 07:38 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,046,375 times
Thats one "thing" I simply don't know. Could only guess. I'll wait for others. Just didn't want your question to go "not noticed."

Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,054,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKMark23 View Post
Hi

Sorry, I haven't introduced myself at all so here goes.

My wife and I live in Atlantic Canada in a town not much bigger than Tyler. We're investigating future retirement possibilities that will get us out of the -40 deg. winters up here, but Florida condos aren't really our style. Last year I worked on a job in SE Asia with a great guy who lives in the Piney Woods area. That's how I came to be checking out Tyler. We're looking into some Arizona cities too.

My real estate searches and other internet snooping lead me to this site. The posts here have been informative and thus far comforting to a couple of conservative Canadians, "yes, we do exist ".

About the East Texas heat, would living in a lakeside home on Lake Palestine or Tyler offer any real respite?

Thanx and Regards HK
I'm sure the lake will help a little. Also in Texas the AC comes in very handy in the summer. It might be blazing hot outside but it's always a crisp 72 degrees inside. Arizona and Texas are both real hot in the summer. One part of Texas you might want to check out is the Lubbock and Amarillo areas. Lubbock and Amarillo are northwest Texas and the elevation is 3000 - 4000 feet above sea level. It's a little further north and the elevation is a little higher so it's not as hot in the summer. In northwest Texas it usually gets cool at night even in July and August. I used to live in Lubbock so I'm speaking from experience.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 PM

24 posts, read 51,738 times
The term Redneck has taken on new meanings throughout the generations. The etymological derivation is meaningless. It is safe to say that in order to be a shining example of today's redneck, you should meet the following requirements:

1. Poorly educated
2. Low on overall affluence
3. Rural in geographic location
4. Extreme right in conservative beliefs
5. Intolerant to human diversity
6. Congregates in the deep South
7. Usually has a flavor for NASCAR
8. Uncultured or unworldly
9. Partakes in poor habits (e.g. diet, chewing tabaccie, etc.)
10. Thinks living well is living cheap
11. Occupies a trailer home or rambler
12. Owns a pickup truck
13. Excessive pride about irrelevant ideas
14. Blue collar (working class)
15. Inarticulate
16. Shallow in thought process
17. Lack of self awareness
18. Tendency to be reactive and have a chip on their shoulder to compensate for their intellectual inadequacy
19. Tendency to have irrational fears around law enforcement or government. May be rational in the sense they are generally candidates for arrest due to unlawful conduct stemming from a tendency for rash behavior.
20. Tendency to be involved with hate groups or organized extemist or radicalist movements

Generally, rednecks exist all over the country - mostly in rural, less affluent areas. But, when you get right down to it, most Texans will always deliver on perfecting the redneck stereotype. Texas takes on those redneck qualities that are generally frowned upon world-wide, adopts them, and brands them as something solely Texan. This is a form of socialized ignorance. What makes South Texans and East Texans offensive on top of the stereotype is the added compulsive and compensatory bravado that accompanies the socialized ignorance. Only when Texans are made self-aware and insecure of their stereotype does the bravado actually increase. Generally, this is a drain for our civilization to have to endure as it only perpetuates and reinforces existing negative redneck stereotypes about Texans. This forces a vicious circle that will always make it difficult for Texans to evolve away from their current stereotype as rednecks today.

Last edited by CmonFolks!; 08-07-2009 at 05:43 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 05:29 AM

39 posts, read 93,587 times
Default rednecks

I know these messages are kinda old but I'm new to this site and felt I needed to comment to this one (can't help myself sometimes) on account of the fact that I live in southeast texas (golden triangle area) and KNOW that it is made up predominatly of rednecks and I mean the term negatively and yet people out hear have 'redneck and proud' bumper stickers! Anyways so my comment to this person's post about the redneckness of this area (sorry If I don't quote this right I've never done it!!) and I'm not trying to argue just disagreeing from my own personal experience...

Quote:

As you say, those "backwoods rednecks" (whatever the hell that means) will be the first to feed you, put you up for the night if you are stranded, stop and help you change a flat tire, or just pass the time of day with friendly conversation.
You mean they will only do all this is you are also a conservative white christian. If you look, talk, or think differently (or at all) this is immediatly untrue. I saw first hand the 'compassion' in the area during Katrina when there were countless protests and all you heard was 'why cant those <insert bad racial slur> go somewhere else (and this was about a week after it happened).

Quote:
And what do they ask in turn? As you allude to, just to be left the hell alone by the federal government and crusading yankee do-gooders with a savior complex. And that their way of life respected...even if not embraced. They don't bother anyone else and rightfully expect the same in turn.
Hmph yeah again I say they don't bother anyone who is exactly like them, try being an atheist or liberal in the area and see how 'left alone' they make you.

Quote:
Their understanding (even if not always articulated in so many words) of the basic concepts of freedom this country was founded on are much more akin to that of the Founding Fathers than just about any PhD or politician or "talking head" extant.
Unless you are refering to freedom of religion or seperation of church and state, then they havent the vaguest ideas what you are talking about.

Like I said, if you are not 'one size fits all' you are not treated in the way you discribe! Diversity or open-mindedness is NOT valued, which I think is ONE of the main things that make rednecks rednecks.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,212,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdygirly View Post
Diversity or open-mindedness is NOT valued, which I think is ONE of the main things that make rednecks rednecks.
Isn't this painting an entire population with one large brush, and decrying their way of being because it doesn't match yours, which is the very antithesis of open-mindedness?

Born and raised in East Texas, currently live in Central Texas after several years in the Dallas area, I was taught diversity of religion and acceptance of those who are not exactly the same as I at my preacher father's dinner table where he - the Methodist minister, the Baptist minister, the local rabbi (yes, they had them in small town East Texas in the 1950's, believe it or not), the local Catholic priest, and a religious leader of one or another of the religious sects in India would sit and discuss theology. That's also where I learned about separation of church and state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas