U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 PM

8,815 posts, read 12,101,016 times

Advertisements

Only in a ghost town is the cemetery almost always the most comforting place around. The only place I felt somewhat safe.

That's interesting....I very much enjoyed your "tour" and post, since both sets of grandparents and great-grandparents have ties to Coleman County. I'm going to have to go check it out and see if I get creeped out, LOL!!

Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 02:07 PM

471 posts, read 714,114 times
Uh! Just looking at those photos reminds me of why I hate this part of Texas so much. Many of the current small towns don't look much better and the local people don't give a flip about improving the situation. Yeah, go ahead and flame me. It will just show that you haven't been through a tour of this part of Texas.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 AM

4 posts, read 23,254 times
as usual, your pictures and "report" where so interesting!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,679 times
Default Who are you?

As the owner of the property upon which the Belle Plain College ruins are located, I would like to know who granted you permission to enter my property and take photographs. At no time in the last 5 years has anyone been granted permission to enter or photograph any portion the property from within the property lines withour myself or a member of family present. I do not appreciate the fact that you entered my property without permission. You completely disregarded the purple posts (which in TX indicate private property and serve as a posting for NO TRESPASSING), and the No Trepassing signs, and in a total lack of respect for my family and my property entered unlawfully.
Despite the Historical markers, Belle Plain is NOT a public access property. As a college graduate with a BA in History, you should be aware with the ethics involved in viewing or visiting historic sites that are located on private property. I have a masters in history and work closely with the Texas State Historical Commission, and am well aware of those ehtical pratices that your professors at ACU should have taught you.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleplainrancher78 View Post
As the owner of the property upon which the Belle Plain College ruins are located, I would like to know who granted you permission to enter my property and take photographs. At no time in the last 5 years has anyone been granted permission to enter or photograph any portion the property from within the property lines withour myself or a member of family present. I do not appreciate the fact that you entered my property without permission. You completely disregarded the purple posts (which in TX indicate private property and serve as a posting for NO TRESPASSING), and the No Trepassing signs, and in a total lack of respect for my family and my property entered unlawfully.
Despite the Historical markers, Belle Plain is NOT a public access property. As a college graduate with a BA in History, you should be aware with the ethics involved in viewing or visiting historic sites that are located on private property. I have a masters in history and work closely with the Texas State Historical Commission, and am well aware of those ehtical pratices that your professors at ACU should have taught you.

Boo!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:34 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,277,405 times
Try Perry TX

Old 04-07-2010, 05:48 PM

8,633 posts, read 16,249,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccauley View Post
Boo!
\
Maybe he should post worded signs with a contact number so people who are truly interested can take a look, or direct them to the local authority who could contact him if people want to see the ruins and historical markers.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,302 times
Purple posts? Really? I'm a native Texan and never knew that purple posts meant "no tresspassing." I thought it just meant that the owner appreciated the artistic allure of jewel tones. At any rate, "belleplainrancher78" can't possibly be an historian -- true historians are eager to share history and its documentation with others, not hide it in the brush behind purple posts. Knowing he/she has an important historical site on the land, a true historian would at least take the responsibility of prominently posting how to access and study the area.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,658 times
This inspired me to check out some places around me too. I don't know if I am as brave but I am going to find out. Thanks for being an inspiration to us. We need pictures of these places before they are all gone.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,658 times
I thought purple posts meant "no trespassing, will shoot on sight". That is what we were taught. But if you truly are the owner of this land, can you not share it with people who will respect it? Not hide it away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas