Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:27 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times

Advertisements

Bigger cities just grow faster than smaller cities. Population growth compounds on itself. It seems like a city grows slowly until it reaches a certain point and then starts growing fast. There just aren't enough people yet to attract large amounts of people. (I'm not sure I'm making much sense to you guys.) The ugly terrain does have some effect on people that are considering locating here, but not much because the cities look fine. When I need a change of scenery, I just head out to Palo Duro or Caprock canyon, Lake Alan Henry, the Davis or Sacramento mountains, or Big Bend, all of which are beautiful IMO. I personally think the landscape just off the Caprock is pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 06:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I don't live in the Hill Country and I agree; it is getting too crowded. There is still unspoiled and pretty land left in my part of central Texas and I shall hope in my life time, it doesn't disappear entirely. Actually, there is a lot in the HC as well but the prices are astronomical.

You speak the truth about the HC and it's sad. I'm glad where I am isn't that bad yet. Trust me, I stay away from the traffic. I live a simple life in rural Texas and it suits me fine. Of course, going some place where no one lives would be better yet, but I may never get that lucky. I'm blessed though to live with few people around me...still too many...but few.

I do miss mountains as I'm from southern CA, but thank gosh we actually have rolling hills and prairies in central Texas. They're not mountains, but I'm glad it isn't totally flat here.
Well, have you ever been to M/O or Lubbock? Both places are the epitome of flatness, with Lubbock having a slight edge, LOL!!

But I still really enjoyed both places, even though I got tired of Midland and needed a change, badly!

I love the drive home down I-10 from El Paso--though I sometimes take the scenic route through Cloudcroft! I also love the drive to Alpine/Ft Davis/Marfa. I guess it seems desolate to some, but I love the whole Big Bend area, as unforgiving as it is!

What I cannot stand about most of Texas--beautiful and varied though it is.....is the humidity! Central Texas/Hill Country kill me in the summer, and I never go visit Sis outside of Austin during the summer, if I can help it!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:04 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Well, have you ever been to M/O or Lubbock? Both places are the epitome of flatness, with Lubbock having a slight edge, LOL!!
I once had a company pickup truck slip out of "park" and roll down a hill into a cotton trailer in Lubbock. Had it not been for other accidents of this type in this particular Ford truck model and year, Perry Mason would have had difficulty defending me. The first question my boss asked was "What hill?"

Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Probably the biggest factor is the lack of plentiful jobs out here, so most people naturally migrate to the metro areas more. For me, it's relative. Even though jobs don't pay as much out here, it also cost much less to live out here than the metros.
My husband and I would have never left San Angelo if we had been able to get jobs that paid decently and had benefits. We both have college degrees, too. Yes, our NICE apartment was only $395 a month, but when we had to do things such as buy a car, we were quickly reminded that our salaries were not up to par with the rest of the world.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:09 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post
I am just wondering how come all of these people moving to texas and just plain texans in general no one seems to be moving to West Texas. Everyone just wants to go to the overgrown towns that are always congested and getting more and more expensive to live in . West texas has many larger towns but no one wants to move to them. Lubbock Amarillo El Paso Odessa Midland. Yes they are growing but they are not growning like the rest of texas. We have a great climate and the larger cities have good jobs. So im just wondering what the reason is behind people kinda avoiding West texas.
Be careful what you wish for!! And be glad you are not experiencing all the newcomers and sprawl!! (But gee, you all sure have room for it.....)

Old 06-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
......The first question my boss asked was "What hill?"
"WHAT hill?" LOL!! He probably thought you were lying at first....

Old 06-19-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
Be careful what you wish for!! And be glad you are not experiencing all the newcomers and sprawl!! (But gee, you all sure have room for it.....)
SHHHHHH!!! The sparse population is one of West Texas' charms......LOL!!

The problem is that those in DC and everybody else outside the area think that West Texas and New Mexico are vast wastelands suitable for storing their nuclear waste and garbage.

I say they can take their waste/garbage and stuff it where the sun don't shine!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
SHHHHHH!!! The sparse population is one of West Texas' charms......LOL!!

The problem is that those in DC and everybody else outside the area think that West Texas and New Mexico are vast wastelands suitable for storing their nuclear waste and garbage.

I say they can take their waste/garbage and stuff it where the sun don't shine!
Years ago I attended a meeting of urban environmental managers at the Watergate in D.C. One of the persons I had the opportunity to meet had a major responsibility for handling NYC waste and garbage. On one coffee break this misguided fellow mentioned the "desolate regions of the southwest" that were only suitable for disposing of U.S. urban waste. In a professional and courteous manner I told him if he would pull his head out he would have plenty of room for NYC's waste storage. Needless to say, this fellow avoided me for the remainder of the meeting.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:54 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
On a slightly tangential note, is Del Rio/Amistad Lake considered to be West Texas by West Texans? I've always thought of it as being in South Texas.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:19 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
On a slightly tangential note, is Del Rio/Amistad Lake considered to be West Texas by West Texans? I've always thought of it as being in South Texas.
The locals say it is Southwest Texas. The climate is very different from the Rio Grande Valley, which is what most people consider South Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas