U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:20 AM

4,487 posts, read 9,943,157 times
Quote:
The Houston MSA won't have a tough time breaking into the top 5. Philly is barely growing, and might lose a county to New York's MSA.
http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/cb07-51tbl2.pdf (broken link)

2006 Metro populations:

1) NYC - 18,800,000
2) L.A. - 12,900,000
3) Chicago - 9,500,000
4) DFW - 6,000,000
5) Philidelphia - 5,800,000
6) Houston - 5,500,000

By the rate each metro is growing, Houston should easily pass Philly in the next 1-2 years.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:20 AM

609 posts, read 2,085,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/cb07-51tbl2.pdf (broken link)

2006 Metro populations:

1) NYC - 18,800,000
2) L.A. - 12,900,000
3) Chicago - 9,500,000
4) DFW - 6,000,000
5) Philidelphia - 5,800,000
6) Houston - 5,500,000

By the rate each metro is growing, Houston should easily pass Philly in the next 1-2 years.
I agree. Please read my response to the response.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:25 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,341,815 times
Ugggh. I cringe at the sight of metro population numbers.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:55 AM

609 posts, read 2,085,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
First of all, let me say, "wow." Lol, I did not read all of that. But I need to correct myself, it was not the metro that was expected to gain 3.5 million people, it's the city proper that is speculated to reach 3.5 million by 2013*.

*The TXC Network (searching for the link)
I would like to see that source of Houston proper gaining 1.5 million people in 7 years when the whole Houston metro (which includes Houston) is only gaining roughly 133,000 people per year. If all 133,000 per year were going to the Houston proper stats, then that would extrapolate to 931000 over 7 years, which would bring the proper population close to 3,000,000 people, which just edges Chicago. If you look at the fastest growing metro areas, none of them have added 1.5 million people over 7 years time, and these include their principle city plus suburbs.

But it's the suburbs of Houston that takes most of its 133,000/year growth.
Let's look at the numbers: Houston proper at 1.6 million people in 1990. Today it has just over 2.07 million people. In 2000, it had 1.9 million people. From 2000-2005, Houston proper only grew by 63000 people.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's very improbable at best since Houston proper barely clears 2 million as per 2006. This clearly tells me that proper's growth is not growing overly fast anymore and it's the suburbs around Houston that are taking most of that 133K/year growth.

It will remain 1) NYC Proper 2) LA Proper 3) Chicago proper 4) Houston proper for quite sometime.

But this is getting off topic of Houston vs. Dallas, but it's an interesting argument for people from Houston boasting a/b Houston and arguing that their city is passing up Chicago soon, b/c Houston people site their proper population as this booming entity over Dallas' proper population that is overtaking the traditional big 3 where as you can see by the numbers that Houston proper's growth rate has slowed to just 12,600/year over the last 1/2 decade. So has Dallas' proper growth rate (slowed down to almost nil). I will admit though that the Dallas' proper growth rate has slowed down to almost nothing and Houston proper is growing relative to Dallas proper at a faster rate, but then again, Houston has much more land then Dallas proper, which is bound by very large suburbs that are also in the top largest cities in Texas.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:22 AM

2,703 posts, read 238,372 times
Houston is also willing to annex some of those large suburbs (Cinco Ranch for one).

Old 04-26-2007, 08:51 AM

268 posts, read 604,762 times
Below are some statistics about the number of consular offices in selected cities:

City - Consular Offices
New York - 105
Los Angeles -90
Houston - 78
San Francisco - 73
Chicago - 70
Miami - 56
Atlanta - 55
Dallas - 30
Moderator cut: website
Here's an interesting and meaningful statistic from a N.Texas website to substantiate conceptions that Houston is the states (and regions) most international city.
Surprising that it has more foreign consuls than even San Francisco & Chicago, and trails only NY & LA in this country.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 04-26-2007 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: No competitive websites allowed.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:32 PM

13,380 posts, read 14,412,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I feel that a city needs to hit culture on all levels for it to suit a cosmopolite. The only cities that I have found to do this are New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, and D.C.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. I love Houston and I think it will reach the levels of those great cosmpolitan cities like New York. But Houston is not yet one of them. I think the five best cosmopolitan cities are New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Washington D.C. with an honorable mention going to Miami. Houston is in the next teir with Atlanta, Dallas, Boston, Philadelphia, and Seattle. Out of all the cities I named in the next tier, Houston has the greatest chance of reaching the top level.
Now I was raised in Texas but currently live in Alexandria, Virginia. This place oozes culture with a large number of West and East Africans, the largest Indian (the country, not natives) population in the United States, and huge European population so yes, DC belongs up there moreso than Houston. Houston does have the 3rd largest Nigerian population in the world behind Nigeria itself and London, as well as a rapidly growing Arab, Ghanian, East Asia and West Indies population.

And while Dallas is not as diverse as Houston. It can hold it's own with the best of them in their own tier. It's rapidly becoming a less black and white type of city.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
I would like to see that source of Houston proper gaining 1.5 million people in 7 years when the whole Houston metro (which includes Houston) is only gaining roughly 133,000 people per year. If all 133,000 per year were going to the Houston proper stats, then that would extrapolate to 931000 over 7 years, which would bring the proper population close to 3,000,000 people, which just edges Chicago. If you look at the fastest growing metro areas, none of them have added 1.5 million people over 7 years time, and these include their principle city plus suburbs.

But it's the suburbs of Houston that takes most of its 133,000/year growth.
Let's look at the numbers: Houston proper at 1.6 million people in 1990. Today it has just over 2.07 million people. In 2000, it had 1.9 million people. From 2000-2005, Houston proper only grew by 63000 people.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's very improbable at best since Houston proper barely clears 2 million as per 2006. This clearly tells me that proper's growth is not growing overly fast anymore and it's the suburbs around Houston that are taking most of that 133K/year growth.

It will remain 1) NYC Proper 2) LA Proper 3) Chicago proper 4) Houston proper for quite sometime.

But this is getting off topic of Houston vs. Dallas, but it's an interesting argument for people from Houston boasting a/b Houston and arguing that their city is passing up Chicago soon, b/c Houston people site their proper population as this booming entity over Dallas' proper population that is overtaking the traditional big 3 where as you can see by the numbers that Houston proper's growth rate has slowed to just 12,600/year over the last 1/2 decade. So has Dallas' proper growth rate (slowed down to almost nil). I will admit though that the Dallas' proper growth rate has slowed down to almost nothing and Houston proper is growing relative to Dallas proper at a faster rate, but then again, Houston has much more land then Dallas proper, which is bound by very large suburbs that are also in the top largest cities in Texas.
Well like I said, I'm looking for the link but I would not go so far as to say it is improbable. If that's the number that was speculated then they obviously had reason to believe so.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:00 PM

15,969 posts, read 25,409,286 times
Dallas proper is growing - and look for it to grow more as high rise apartments and condos continue to be built and the central city is totally redeveloped with new townhomes, office buildings being converted to residential and new development in the Design District and Trinity River Project.

There are 20-something cranes in Downtown and Uptown right now.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. I love Houston and I think it will reach the levels of those great cosmpolitan cities like New York. But Houston is not yet one of them. I think the five best cosmopolitan cities are New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Washington D.C. with an honorable mention going to Miami. Houston is in the next teir with Atlanta, Dallas, Boston, Philadelphia, and Seattle. Out of all the cities I named in the next tier, Houston has the greatest chance of reaching the top level.
Now I was raised in Texas but currently live in Alexandria, Virginia. This place oozes culture with a large number of West and East Africans, the largest Indian (the country, not natives) population in the United States, and huge European population so yes, DC belongs up there moreso than Houston. Houston does have the 3rd largest Nigerian population in the world behind Nigeria itself and London, as well as a rapidly growing Arab, Ghanian, East Asia and West Indies population.

And while Dallas is not as diverse as Houston. It can hold it's own with the best of them in their own tier. It's rapidly becoming a less black and white type of city.
San Francisco is not half as cultured as people make it. Especially as it has virtually no Black or Hispanic culture. This alone failed to impress me. And my visit to San Fran was very disappointing. What good does it do for a city to have a lot of foreign culture, and it doesn't acknowledge its own American culture. So for that alone, San Francisco doesn't even make the list for me. Now to me, Dallas and Atlanta don't even compare to Houston as far as culture goes. No way. Maybe Dallas a little bit, but Atlanta not so much.

I guess it depends on what you call a "cultured" city. But to me, it's having a strong American culture first, and a strong world culture that follows. And to me, these cities are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas