U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:36 AM

261 posts, read 1,060,113 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to either Dallas or Houston.
friends in Dallas tell us that Dallas is a better place to live.
while other frields in Houston tell us that Houston is better.

Can anyone share experiences on either?

We are looking to relocate to a nice area with good schools, employment opportunity, low crime, affordable housing, not too humid, etc.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:31 AM

151 posts, read 554,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
not too humid, etc.
I lived in Dallas for a long time and used to spend every summer as a kid in Pasedena. It is miserable in Houston in the summer time. It is very humid. Dallas is hot as well, but the humidity in Houston is pretty rough. I like both cities and wouldn't say no to living in either place. I would actually prefer them to my current North Atlanta locaction (tied to a job here else I would return). So I think you will find a good place either route you choose.

My personal preference would be Dallas. Houston is bigger, more spread out, and possibly a little more expensive depending upon where you live. I'm by no means an expert though on either market. I do like the suburbs north of Dallas...VERY affordable housing compared to similar areas around the country and most of the schools are well above average.

Dallas may have a little bit stronger IT, telecomm, banking/finance presence whereas Houston's strengths (corporate or blue-collar) are in it's huge port and the strong petro influence. So it depends on what kind of job you're going for.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:36 AM

8,640 posts, read 14,818,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiley1221 View Post
I lived in Dallas for a long time and used to spend every summer as a kid in Pasedena. It is miserable in Houston in the summer time. It is very humid. Dallas is hot as well, but the humidity in Houston is pretty rough. I like both cities and wouldn't say no to living in either place. I would actually prefer them to my current North Atlanta locaction (tied to a job here else I would return). So I think you will find a good place either route you choose.

My personal preference would be Dallas. Houston is bigger, more spread out, and possibly a little more expensive depending upon where you live. I'm by no means an expert though on either market. I do like the suburbs north of Dallas...VERY affordable housing compared to similar areas around the country and most of the schools are well above average.

Dallas may have a little bit stronger IT, telecomm, banking/finance presence whereas Houston's strengths (corporate or blue-collar) are in it's huge port and the strong petro influence. So it depends on what kind of job you're going for.
I would pretty much second what kwiley1221 said-especially the part about the HUMIDITY! But I grew up in W. Texas in sem-arid climate and humidity is a very big factor to me-I hate it! So for that reason alone, Dallas would win my vote!

Old 04-15-2007, 12:00 PM

2,703 posts, read 403,793 times
Quote:
The heat in Houston is miserable, but you will get use to it in about two weeks during the summer. The humid differences between Dallas and Houston aren't than much.

Quote:
Depending on what you look at (most people look at metros), Houston is a few thousand short of the Metroplex, but is less spread out. On average, the school districts are better in Houston. Housing is cheap in both places, with DFW being a little higher (not by much).

Quote:
Dallas has more IT, telecom, banking/finance prescense, but Houston has a very strong white-collar industry. Downtown Houston employs about 200,000 people every weekday (the most in Texas). The NW, N, W, and SW areas of Houston are very white-collar, and contains Texas' most expensive zip code. The SE, E, and somewhat NE areas of Houston are more blue-collar. The reason is the Port of Houston (sixth-largest in the world), as well as all of the refineries that dot the area.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:05 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,510,374 times
Quote:

I would hardly say that the humidity is overwhelming. A nuisance at times, but something that most people adapt to pretty quickly. It rains a lot in Houston, so sometimes you're looking for cloudy days shielding the sun and coastal or lake winds that are the perfect relief from the heat of the day. It's only necessary to know this is if you plan on spending a large portion of the day outside. I won't pretend Houston's weather is better than Dallas' because it's not. I mean, Dallas gets snow regularly (not fair lol), but Houston's mist and moisture allows for the forest canopy in a majority of the city. Something that Dallas doesn't have. So with that said, I guess I'll suggest Houston for other reasons that don't need mentioning because they will be obvious to you on your first visit to the city.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:41 PM

4,487 posts, read 10,287,839 times
You can't go wrong with either city, both are great in their own respects. I've been to both numerous times and while both are alike in many ways, they're also equally different.

Dallas has a larger metro.
Houston has a larger city proper.

Dallas is more image conscious.
Houston is more laid-back.

Dallas has a larger arts scene.
Houston has a larger music/theatre scene.

Dallas has bad traffic.
Houston has VERY bad traffic.

Dallas is slightly more expensive.
Houston is slightly more diverse.

Dallas has a larger finance/ IT sector.
Houston has a larger oil/ natural gas sector.

Dallas is more new money.
Houston is more old money.

Dallas is more spread out.
Houston is more centralized.

Dallas has a colder winter (albeit nothing compared to the Midwest or North).
Houston has more humidity.

Dallas has a hotter summer.
Houston still has more humidity.

Dallas has more upscale shopping.
Houston has more botique shopping.

Dallas has more restaurants.
Houston has more parks.

Dallas is more concrete.
Houston is more green and lush.

Dallas doesn't have a port.
Houston has a port.

Dallas has a good public transit system.
Houston has a pathetic public transit system.

Dallas has a tourist industry.
Houston has virtually no tourist industry.

Dallas has the Cowboys.
Houston has the Texans.

Dallas feels like you need to catch up with the Joneses.
Houston feels like you should be satisfied with what you have.

FINALLY

Dallas has Chuck Norris.
Houston has George Bush.
Who would you pick in a fight?

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:17 PM

What a way to put it. Atleast the user gets to see everyone's opinions. Nowadays finds Houston as a very popular music scene and it's this close to being a haven for the worldwide arts and fashion.

Dallas has Chuck Norris lol...true but I said it before and I'll say it again. We have Beyonce , and everybody loves her right lol. And word to the wise, we do not claim George Bush. Nope.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:38 PM

Houston has far from a pathetic public transportation system. We may be bad in the rail department (only 7 miles until the expansion is completed in 2012), but we have a FAR more extensive bus and HOV system than Dallas. Also, Galveston and areas to the Southeast of Houston have a tourist industry (Kemah, Schlitterbahn, NASA, etc.).

Old 04-15-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Houston has far from a pathetic public transportation system. We may be bad in the rail department (only 7 miles until the expansion is completed in 2012), but we have a FAR more extensive bus and HOV system than Dallas. Also, Galveston and areas to the Southeast of Houston have a tourist industry (Kemah, Schlitterbahn, NASA, etc.).
People forget that it's not complete. It's still developing so of course it's not going to be the best right now but it's getting there.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:40 PM

People also tend to forget that rail is not the only option in mass transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas