U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:18 PM

148 posts, read 191,821 times
I am Christian, but I am not a member of the prevalent Christian churches in our city. I worried about moving to Abilene for that reason. However, when people have found out that I am not Church of Christ or Baptist, they leave me alone and still befriend me. I don't think you will have any trouble in Abilene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 04:03 AM

5 posts, read 9,474 times
Default Any Jews in Central Texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyl View Post
I live in Nacogdoches and I am jewish...and i think I am the only one in Nacogdoches
I currently live in Hamilton, TX and even though I can't prove on paper I am
Jewish with any organized Rabbi or movement, I for one Study Torah, from
the Tanakh, Chumash and Ba'al Haturim. Judaism makes more sense to me
than xianity, (dsjflksdjksldfj) I didn't know 100% I am Jewish, yet I like to
profess what Yisro did back "in the day" I profess to be Jewish by public
decree. At least state my intent to convert. Due to some paperwork issues
of the past, and family secrets that will die to the grave, I only speculate at
best. So I apologize for past confusion, but wish to notify anyone with any
concern, that I need to convert formally, and follow through with my intent
to convert to Judaism. I hope I haven't offended anyone but state that the
Torah has been right all along, and all Man has to do is Love Torah, Obey
Torah, Trust Hashem!

Any thoughts or comments, gripes, complaints, or Keh-vetching?

Shavuah Tov,

Micha'el D. Lucas

Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 PM

8,386 posts, read 3,976,041 times
I've lived in Abilene for a long time and I'm a Christian and a member of a large church here. I sincerely don't think you will have any problems here. I get the general impression that the vast majority of Christians in this town respect the Jewish people overall. I certainly feel that way as well. Jews and Christians certainly share a common heritage and the bible teaches that the Jewish people are God's chosen people and are to be treated as such. We just hardly ever run into any Jewish people around here to talk to, which is a shame because I would enjoy that.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 PM

187 posts, read 572,411 times
I would recommend the following group: the Texas Jewish Historical Society, see its website at:
Texas Jewish Historical Society . I have attended two of their meetings and found them to be a great group. Their members are in tiny towns (the current president hails from Alice!) as well as in the major cities. As a Yankee myself, I was surprised to find such a large, vibrant community in El Paso, for example, or enough of a community in Brownsville that keeps the Jewish cemetery looking beautiful...

Also, there is a new Jewish studies program at UT-Austin. See its website at: Schusterman Center for Jewish Studies . I've met the director, Professor Abzug, and he's very nice. I would email him to ask any questions about the vibrancy of the community, if there is one, in Abilene. In any event, it's a great little organization, average age of members must be, I don't know, 60. Mostly retirees, I think, but occasionally there will be a younger member like me...

Good luck with your move!

Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 PM

2,402 posts, read 4,522,471 times
Amarillo is horrible and close-minded. I've lived in most other parts of Texas and people don't seem to care about your ethnicity or religion as much as they did back east. My background is Jewish and when I ran against the president of the school board, I made some jokes about getting the jewish vote - lol about 4-5 of them. I won anyway. I don't think Abilene has much to offer unless you're a cow lol but doubt being Jewish matters one way or another.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:38 PM

Thank You all for the commentary and input. I for one, feel some to most Jews in Central Texas live underground, being such a small number. I frequent Stephenville, TX at the Wal-Mart they carry Hebrew National Hot Dogs, and some Jewish brand of Wine(s). I was surprised at the Wal-Mart in Brownwood, TX that has a Jewish section, but no organized or self sustaining Jewish presence as far as a synagogue or place of worship. Hamilton's only Jew did pass away a year or so ago. I for one, have to go to Waco, TX or the Dell Jewish
Community in Austin off of Far West Blvd, across and up on a hill from the Kosher H.E.B.

Giving that things are getting expensive, I have to establish myself financially, however, I
am an employee of the State of Texas and work a 12 hour rotational schedule, which means I
work 3 to 4 or 5 Erev Shabbath's (Friday night Sabbath services) a month, and have one
month where I have them off. I only hope I learn my lesson as to why I endure the suffering,
and growth that I endure and be able to be independently wealthy, or marry into wealth with
a nice sugar momma kind of Jewish or Jewish-friendly woman, who supports me and my
choice in becoming Jewish. I can only hope, and find a shul or synagogue I can attend and be
a supporting member.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:32 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,787,646 times
I think the OP is likely to find a bigger Jewish community in Lubbock and it's a better city than Abilene IMO, though it has basically the same social dynamics; very good medical facilities in Lubbock too, which might be a consideration for a retired couple.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:09 AM

5,223 posts, read 7,310,946 times
THere is a great Jewish community in Amarillo as well. A dear friend of mine is actively involved in the synagogue and I have attended many Shabbat services there.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:28 AM

I keep getting letters from "needy" organizations from New Jersey, and out of Texas wanting
lots of money. I also notice Jews in Texas are harder to find. I later realize I don't have all the
paperwork to prove I'm Jewish, but with all due respect, I choose to Study Torah and learn
Judaism even if takes me till I'm 150 years old. Nell Carter converted to Judaism, perhaps
Reform or Conservative? However, Amarillo, Abilene, Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas, are a bit far from me. The 'shul' in San Angelo was long taken over by Christians, and it seems I am
not able to locate on the map exactly where the shul is in San Angelo if they are still holding
services. One story floated around, that the Christians wanted to learn Judaism in order to
wait for Jesus to come back and bring the Temple. There are so many different versions of
the bible and beliefs that seem to point Jesus is Jewish. I digress, and there fore, I have also
renounced Jesus as 'my' messiah, and lord and saviour because of the doctrinal and often
confusing aspects of belief structure. I'd rather convert to Judaism based on an old Jewish
joke. "Two Jews were stranded on an island, one built a synagogue and the other built him a synagogue and both built another synagogue. When they were rescued they showed all of the synagogues on the island, and the question was raised.. 'what about that synagogue?' oh that's the one we both can't be caught dead in." If I mistold the joke. Ooops. The Shul or
synagogue in Odessa is both run by Conservative and Reformed and share the building. But
the Rabbi is part time. I had automotive issues with my 1988 GMC S15 truck, and I bought a
couple of 1981 Ford Granada's awaiting repairs. One in Evant by Vernon McCann, and Jeff in
Richland Springs. Both are mine now, but since my bad credit, repossession of a 1999 Ford
Ranger, I don't have 2 to 5 thousand dollar down payment, and I don't trust auto dealerships
trying to overcharge and snow job me into a newer vehicle.

(Oh yeah, some how I'm on some automatic mailing list, but I tell them time and time again,
to pray for me, but they seem automated in wanting money, and not caring for its financial
helpers, so heck with them. Just a bit overwhelmed and upset at insensitive con artists to
steal money from strapped people for personal pleasure, using charity as a means to steal.)

I also had some tragedies in my life. My darling cat Tiger died, and a Siamese took her place.
I also been hurt in a relationship when my ex dumped me for a trailer trash guy who also is a
con artist. I feel like Gary Coleman... I better stay single, and keep my money. LOL Unless
there happens to be willing divorced, separated or single sugar mommies who want to spoil
me rotten? HA! I didn't think so. I loved, and lost... I loved and been hurt, I loved and been
betrayed by the best! Time to pack it up, and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas