Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:20 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
thanks so much everyone for your help. The kids and I are here in beaumont now. We decided on lumberton and found a house with the closing next month. It is not as bad as DH made it sound. I really like the community a lot and have talked to many people. I wish I would have thought about splitting the difference between beaumont and houston. that thought never crossed my mind. something to look for with camping and stuff though.

getting used to all of these ditches in the neighborhoods,trash everywhere and the dos and donts with slab houses seem to be the hardest thing to get used to. The people out here amaze me. everyone is so friendly! I dont think I will have as hard of a time adjusting as DH thinks I will.
Congrats Sally! Welcome to Texas! Now, don't forget the board here, come and give up some of your wisdom to other folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 10,681 times
Sally,

I live in Lumberton and my Father in law works for the port of beaumont but he lives in the country north of Lumberton. I would have to agree that Lumberton is the place that is growing the fastest and has some very nice subdivisions. You just have to come down and see. I do agree with Bobtex - the city of Lumberton has not planned for its expanded growth rate therefore the schools are becoming overcrowded and the social life in Lumberton needs a kick. But it is quite and comfortable.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:55 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange is an area of about 383,000. You can find a lot of nice areas there. I do thing some of you are exaggerating Lumberton's growth. How fast is it growing every year? I mean, there are as many people in the Lumberton district as in my school.

Last edited by Guerilla; 07-31-2007 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-31-2007, 01:45 PM

42 posts, read 177,475 times
One thing about Lumberton is that a lot of what people consider "Lumberton" is not in the city limits. I know when our family was considering moving there a lot of the property we looked at was down Keith Road or just outside the northern line of Lumberton.

Lumberton ISD covers an area of approximately 25,000 people right now while the city limits only has I would say 10-12,000. So, many of the people who say they are from Lumberton aren't actually counted as part of Lumberton in the census. I don't know if there are any plans to annex or not.

As far as enrollment in the district, the last number I could find was 2005 and that was right at 3,700 students in the district.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:36 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Oh okay. My school is at 3600 now (and will drop to about 3300 next year because of people leaving to go to their home schools). My school attracts people that aren't even zoned there, which is why the enrollment is high. Is Lumberton's district that way (from reading on here, it looks to be the best district in the Golden Triangle area).

Old 08-01-2007, 11:53 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Congrats Sally! Welcome to Texas! Now, don't forget the board here, come and give up some of your wisdom to other folks!
I will definetly still be on the board. I had never even heard of this forum til I started researching beaumont.

sally

Old 08-02-2007, 01:59 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and hoping someone has some advice for me.

I live in VA now, and husband is getting tranferred to Beaumont. I am having trouble finding good info on the areas. I'm hoping someone can explain all the little cities surrounding Beaumont for me. I know for sure we dont want to move into Beaumont because of crime and schools. What we do want is to be able to find a fairly nice house (pool, 4b, 2 car gar) in the 200k range and it be in a neighborhood. (added bonus park little bit of shopping and rest nearby) I have been researching schools on greatschools.com but I have never "moved" before and i'm at a loss.

I appreciate any advice or info on different areas.

thanks!
Beaumont is my hometown!! Wow, what a small world. Certain parts of Beaumont is okay, but be careful about close to the downtown area. That is where the crime is and such. But other than that, it's a good little city.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2005 View Post
One thing about Lumberton is that a lot of what people consider "Lumberton" is not in the city limits. I know when our family was considering moving there a lot of the property we looked at was down Keith Road or just outside the northern line of Lumberton.

Lumberton ISD covers an area of approximately 25,000 people right now while the city limits only has I would say 10-12,000. So, many of the people who say they are from Lumberton aren't actually counted as part of Lumberton in the census. I don't know if there are any plans to annex or not.

As far as enrollment in the district, the last number I could find was 2005 and that was right at 3,700 students in the district.
I live in Lumberton from the time I was born til the 1st grade. It has grown a lot since then. I used to live on Wheeler Rd. and went to Chance Cut-Off Nursery on Chance Cut-Off Rd. (it was that yellow building there). I'm very familiar with Lumberton. My childhood best friend still lives there and so does her parents. Wow, what a small world!!

Old 08-08-2008, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,695 times
a couple of yall actually seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to Beaumont area. We are looking at Kountze. We love the small town with the laid back feeling. We were just there last week and checked out the high school and did a brief search for real estate to see what kind of land is available (we want a few acres.) The high school is great from what we saw. What about the rest of the town? Is there like a downtown? Silsbee seems pretty trashy. Is there overflow into Kountze with it being so close?

Old 06-11-2010, 05:47 AM

3 posts, read 10,178 times
Default Hello All!

My family and I are going to be moving into the Beaumont area around August time frame. I am military and will be working in the Beaumont area. We have looked at several houses online and have been researching the local areas there. I am brand new to this thread thing. It appears there are some very very nice homes in the Sour Lake area but what is the real deal in Sour Lake. Is it city or country type environment, does it have the local amenities readily available? Almost scared to ask this but is there any racism there? We are an interracial couple and don't want this to be an issue. I have found some pretty decent information on the schools system but would like opinions on Sour Lakes school system versus the West Beaumont Area school system. We are a his and hers type family and there are many of us. Our primary focus in selecting somewhere to live is the school system, we always choose school before we choose a house. Our children's education is paramount and obviously like anyone else we would like to be away from any high crime areas. I know I asked alot but can anyone help? We are actually flirting with three areas; the beaumont west area, lumberton, and sour lake. Any suggestions/opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas