U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-14-2010, 06:33 AM

7 posts, read 6,889 times
Got a house now, just waiting for the actual move later this summer.. We will be in the old part of town, at least there are a lot of nice established trees in the yard! Spent a few mores days there this time and found a lot more of the good stuff Midland has to offer. Best will be a 7 minute drive to work (that was catching both lights red..). Traffic is amazingly light compared to what I'm used to. Lot of parks, nice duck pond within walking distance of the house. I'm actually starting to look foreward to the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-14-2010, 08:49 AM

4,003 posts, read 4,024,484 times
Good luck with your move. We lived in Midland twice for a total of 17 years, and Houston twice also. Loved them both. Midland will be a bit of a shock for you at first, but it does have so much to offer that I'm sure you will like it once you get settled. Sounds like you have a great attitude about it, which I think, is the only way to make it work. We have known lots of people that moved there and just grumbled about all the bad things and what it didn't have, rather than seeing the good parts. You did pick a great area to live also. The first time we lived there, we were also within walking distance of the duck pond. Unfortunately, the second time we moved to Midland, we couldn't find anything for sale in that area, so we ended up out on the north side of town, which was also very nice. Old Midland is a really great area of town with lots of very nice people. And yes, the commute will really spoil you. My husband still misses his commute. For a few years his didn't even require any traffice lights. He could get there by winding through the neighborhood and just going through a few stop signs. Mine was a little more difficult. I had to go all the way across town, and it took me almost 15 minutes! Truly horrible.hahahahaha!!

Unread 04-14-2010, 08:52 AM

7,856 posts, read 10,591,078 times
Yes, Midland itself is a good place to live--I MISS Tampico's bad!!!

Unread 04-14-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yes, Midland itself is a good place to live--I MISS Tampico's bad!!!
I miss Wall Street Bar and Grill! I loved their Sunday brunch.

Unread 04-14-2010, 09:12 AM

I liked it, too....good steaks....but my favorite steakhouse was Cattle Baron--I miss that too, but will probably hit the one in Ruidoso before long!

Unread 04-14-2010, 09:15 AM

Never ate there when it was Cattle Baron. We used to go there all the time when it was Harrigans though.

Unread 04-14-2010, 09:26 AM

I had completely forgotten that the location was once Harrigan's...which was also very good!

I guess that is what I miss the most about Midland--good restaurants. The ones here are so across the board mediocre...and some just plain bad!! All I need is a good steakhouse and a good Mexican place, and I have neither here (Alamogordo, NM). I have to go to Ruidoso to get decent food!

Unread 04-15-2010, 04:23 PM

316 posts, read 993,291 times
Hi Nolra! Welcome to Midland. I've been here for 3 yrs and it really has a lot to offer! It's a nice place to raise kids.

Hi Cathy and Debz! We just made plans to go to a play at the Yucca and eat at Wall Street with just the gals next month! It's raining cats and dogs today which is very unusual but is making everything green!

I went to Ft. Worth with the kids for Spring Break and it was horrendous trying to get to the zoo and science museum! I swore next year we will go to White Sands so maybe we will meet you for a coke!

Nolra, send me an email if you have any questions when you get here!

Pam

Unread 04-15-2010, 04:30 PM

Have fun at the Yucca, Pam! If you come for a visit at White Sands (a must, as it's wonderful!), let me know!

Are you also planning to visit Big Bend at some point? Now is the end of the time to go, as it starts getting very hot at the end of this month!

Unread 04-29-2010, 06:32 AM

7 posts, read 6,889 times
Love hearing about the good eats places. I'm writing them in "places to go" list. (-:}
I could stay busy for a few months just checking out all the restaurants that have been recommended. Hmm, that sounds like a good thing.

I really liked the trees in the older neighborhoods. There where a lot of nicer newer houses but they where just bare lots. Coming from Houston, that would have been hard to swallow. We have more big trees in the yard in Midland than we had in Houston...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas