U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-27-2009, 12:08 PM

2,161 posts, read 2,117,794 times
Yeah, let me also say that you are saying this about Texas, but the rest of the world views all of America like this. We all are a bunch of Jesus-loved-gun-toting people. Our pledge says "One nation under God," so it isn't just Texas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-27-2009, 02:07 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,332,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
*Yawns* You are not even original with your yada yada yada's... LMAO

Wellllll, Sh*t fire and save the matches! Yourself? I confess I didn't realize just what an inflated balloon we ignorant backward Texans were dealing with! Excusssssse meeee.

But come to think of it...in fact, *snaps fingers* If I recall it, you were the feature feller on a Texas TV special of which the theme was something like "Pompous Parodies of the Self-Righteous and Self-Important Who Are Still Here"

Gawd. I have said it before and will say it again. I wish my response to posts like this could be boiled down to kiss my Bonnie Blue Lone Star Texas Southern a$$

If you don't like it? Leave. What the hell is so hard to understand about that? Why did you move here to begin with?
Dont lecture me redneck I'll do as I please. Just like you choose to do as you please and ignore the problems in this state and take offense if anyone dares pop your fantasy of this being some great place.

The lesson of Texas is that if you dont strive for excellence, if you dont tend the garden known as society. It will get choked with weeds, predators, and vines choking the other plants and blocking out the sun.

I hope Texas progresses and finds its humanity before it does itself in I really do.

Unread 07-27-2009, 06:33 PM

9,622 posts, read 9,930,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Dont lecture me redneck I'll do as I please. Just like you choose to do as you please and ignore the problems in this state and take offense if anyone dares pop your fantasy of this being some great place.

The lesson of Texas is that if you dont strive for excellence, if you dont tend the garden known as society. It will get choked with weeds, predators, and vines choking the other plants and blocking out the sun.

I hope Texas progresses and finds its humanity before it does itself in I really do.
Podner, if "redneck" means being a conservative proud of my state, I will wear that label with pride. Your (*snort*) personal opinion counts for a hill of beans. And, you don't have the slightest clue as what I might do to "better" my state. And BTW -- seems like you have a strange definition of "lecture." If I read correctly, you were were one giving the original hostile lecture (really, more of a self-absorbed supercilious rant). And you can bet the cotton-crop I will give it back in turn.

And I don't necessarily "take offense" when someone points out where improvements might be in order, as I can think of several myself. I am not easily offended, although there are times I get quite peeved. As applies to the topic at hand, it generally comes about when a certain type can do nothing but find eternal fault and believe that by doing so, they are more "enlightened" than the rest of us. It is all in the tone of presentation, not the points. And yours was disdainful and self-superior. And par for the course. I have doubts you'd be happy any place you live.

It is even evident in this post. For example, the statement: "...your fantasy of this being some great place." Well, yeah, to me and millions of others? Texas IS some great place. You don't like it? Too damn bad. It isn't perfect, but nothing this side of Heaven is. It is home though, and when it is attacked, we will defend it. Apparently, you are the one who gets "offended" when someone dares disagrees with your own critical, righteous assessment. So god-speed and good luck on your exodus from Texas. I am quite sure we will manage to get along without you.

With all that said though, I do want to mention one thing. Some of my phrasing in the original reply (i.e. ...kiss my Bonnie Blue Lone Star...) showed some bad manners on my part, as in the sense it was written on a public chat forum. For that, I apologize. The rest of it though, I stand by totally.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-27-2009 at 07:56 PM..

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:41 PM

26,036 posts, read 19,178,588 times
I think most people living in Texas now have no stake in the outcome of any war (even though your specifics on that are wrong, anyway) hundreds of years ago. It really does feel like its own place.

Unread 07-27-2009, 10:17 PM

11,806 posts, read 12,495,163 times
Texas is big enough for all of us, rednecks, jazz lovers, and hippies, I'd say. No need for anyone to get so outraged by any of it. Some things about Texas are great, but I'm not unaware of the things that aren't. Like the climate in August in most of it. But no place is perfect, and a lot of things are a matter of opinion.

Unread 07-28-2009, 07:46 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,387,983 times
Well everyone knows how I feel about Texas and I am not native and haven't lived here that long and I think the texas pride comes from people here just being on the defensive all the time.
After this past week, here are some reasons why I again found myself defending Texas, some may confuse it with Texan pride.

I had a bunch of people from out of state visiting for a week to attend some birthday party for a 90 year old uncle. EVERY person made a comment how they couldn't wait to get out of the state.. complaints ranged from heat, flat ugly scenery, it just felt heavy here, didn't like the people, teling me, OMG I couldn't live here how do you do it? etc... As a matter of fact 2 people didn't come because they refused to step a foot into texas. One wass a native from fredricksburg, he swore he would never return and the other just hates Texas I guess.

Ignoring them, I decided to show some the new house. Brand new, 4100 sq feet, good area and schools. The ONLY comment I got back from people was.. it's a nice house but you get a lot for your money here and they smirked. Not only did it **** me off but hurt my feelings.

To add to the insult I had to hear 3 stories, one has a sister that lives in Beaumont and he said it is one of the worst hell holes. A woman who said she was in houston cooking for her friend and husband and she left a stick of butter out ( she added she can do that where she lives) and it was eaten by roaches overnight. Then the last insult came from a guy from the UK who said 'except for the oil revenue, the relatively low price of gasoline, the zero-rated taxes and the amazingly cheap housing, it might be worth considering giving it back to the Mexicans'.

I forgot to add, there is a guy in n cali who rather risk losing his home than move to texas like his friends did.

Honestly I am getting tired of people making these comments to me. I am not happy here but it's cheaper to live here than any other state, plus there are jobs here. Unless they want to give me money to live elsewhere I am game! After this past week and these horrible people making me feel like **** for living here have really made me sad. With all this negativity I get from people of course affects me. But I think this is why people in Texas have "Texas pride" they have to be sick and tired of people always trashing them.

Unread 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM

Thank you! That is exactly what I was saying before. Other states have no idea how day and night I have to deal with family that won't visit me or speak to me because of where I am from. So I just say, well I am happy and that is all that matters. But people just cannot comprehend that there are people happy in Texas. That is what it is. They can't stand that some people are doing exceptionally well and love so they have to be negative. Most of the time Texans aren't the ones who start it. How would you feel if someone came to your house and told you it wasn't great and that your life was no good?

Unread 07-28-2009, 04:46 PM

4,469 posts, read 3,972,204 times
"But I think this is why people in Texas have "Texas pride" they have to be sick and tired of people always trashing them."

Nah. I had pride in Texas well before I ever knew people trashed it, and most of the trashing I've heard has only been in the last decade or so. You know what's funny? I never knew there was this whole Texas/California issue, for instance, until I started reading these boards! When I was growing up here in Texas, when we'd visit other states and countries and I'd tell people where I was from, they'd get all excited! I mean, it was funny. My Illinois relative's friends always wanted to know if we had horses (we didn't), they thought that would be so cool. Kinda hated to tell them the truth.
Seriously, most of the bashing seems to come from message boards and bloggers. And loads of it seems to be in connection to dislike of W's presidency, as far as I can tell. But nobody has ever trashed Texas to me in person. I guess you and I know different kinds of people, because what you're describing is truly small-minded and rude.
Texas pride has been around a lot longer than Texas trashing.

Unread 07-28-2009, 04:58 PM

Well you are very lucky because I am tired of people such as my family who judge me before they meet me. You are right, Texans take pride in general, but people don't know that the reasons Texans voices get louder is because we are so misunderstood.

Unread 07-28-2009, 05:03 PM

46,717 posts, read 41,147,002 times
have not been beaten down yet, have failed to become ashamed of their background and history.
resistance is not futile.
dont mess with texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas