Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 05:00 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Pride cometh before the fall. The problem with pride is that it allows you to overlook massive problems right in your back yard.
1. Worst educational standards this side of Mississppii
2. Absolutely 0 environmental standards
3. Largest prison population of any state
4. Has most children without health insurance in country
5. Drugs pouring across the border
6. One of the highest poverty rates in country

Despite all this many Texans and the Politicians here dont get embarassed by being a backwards state. They see no role for the government in taking some of the brutality out of working families life.
They simply dont see the current state of their citizenry as something to be concerned about.

An educated person can obviously see the mentality of the politicians and many of those who they represent is in fact causing things to be far worse than it has to be. But they are too ignorant and blind to see their own complicity in the faults of this state.

At some point I think decent educated people have to ask themselves if this type of cycle of ignorance, and brutality towards average citizens is something they really want to be a part of.
*Yawns* You are not even original with your yada yada yada's... LMAO

Quote:
Myself I can committed to moving out of this state fairly soon
Wellllll, Sh*t fire and save the matches! Yourself? I confess I didn't realize just what an inflated balloon we ignorant backward Texans were dealing with! Excusssssse meeee.

But come to think of it...in fact, *snaps fingers* If I recall it, you were the feature feller on a Texas TV special of which the theme was something like "Pompous Parodies of the Self-Righteous and Self-Important Who Are Still Here"

Gawd. I have said it before and will say it again. I wish my response to posts like this could be boiled down to kiss my Bonnie Blue Lone Star Texas Southern a$$

If you don't like it? Leave. What the hell is so hard to understand about that? Why did you move here to begin with?

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-25-2009 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 05:03 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I do not want to bash TX or anything, I just want a straight answer on why the Texas people are so proud from being from TX. I would appreciate if you guys do not get offended by this question, and I also would appreciate if someone can answer my question. Thanks
Why worry, they are seceding.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:24 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Why worry, they are seceding.
From what I understand, Texas can't secede. Therefore, you can keep worrying.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 07-25-2009 at 06:04 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 05:50 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Pride cometh before the fall. The problem with pride is that it allows you to overlook massive problems right in your back yard.
1. Worst educational standards this side of Mississppii
2. Absolutely 0 environmental standards
3. Largest prison population of any state
4. Has most children without health insurance in country
5. Drugs pouring across the border
6. One of the highest poverty rates in country

Despite all this many Texans and the Politicians here dont get embarassed by being a backwards state. They see no role for the government in taking some of the brutality out of working families life.
They simply dont see the current state of their citizenry as something to be concerned about.

An educated person can obviously see the mentality of the politicians and many of those who they represent is in fact causing things to be far worse than it has to be. But they are too ignorant and blind to see their own complicity in the faults of this state.

At some point I think decent educated people have to ask themselves if this type of cycle of ignorance, and brutality towards average citizens is something they really want to be a part of.

Myself I can committed to moving out of this state fairly soon.
I am not a Texan so I'm not being defensive, but please allow me to mention a few things about grammar.

Your #1 point states: Worst educational standards this side of Mississppii

How do you spell the river and/or state that starts with an "M?"

punctuation errors ~ too many / not enough

None of your points are sentences; therefore, capital letters are not needed for the first words.

ending sentences with prepositions

leaving out apostrophes

How do you spell embarrassed?

Don't begin a sentence with a conjunction.

Families is plural and life is not. Therefore, it should have read "working families' lives." It is possessive, hence the apostrophe.

I believe in your last sentence, you meant to say, "Myself I (am rather than can) committed to moving out of this state fairly soon." I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one word. Do you know that "myself" is a reflective pronoun and therefore, you didn't use it properly in this sentence? In fact, you really "double-dipped." Myself and I together just doesn't jive.

That's all that jumped out at me with your post. I feel grammar is a very important part of education so before you put down Texas' educational system or any other state's standards for that matter, you might want to brush up a bit on your grammar skills. It's food for thought anyway.

I really am curious as to where you attended school.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:17 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Decency is a term I leave to others who choose to judge me but I can say with some certainty that I am an educated Texan. I doubt that there are any "Utopian states" but I've lived in several politically blue states whose brutality toward working families was stunning to this Texan. I recall a Maryland State safety inspection so strict that it nearly precluded the ownership of a vehicle under a few years old. I recall a young man making minimum wage in Maryland being fined $28 a day by the State for each day his older car went uninspected even though the young man was not even driving the car. The young man talked to me about having to move his family out of his native state to survive. And I recall that the same Maryland State safety inspection caused over $1200 damage to my car at a time when I had just moved to the State and was getting my young family on its feet financially. Beyond the State's anti-working class auto safety inspection, I also recall a town in Maryland where the parking of a "truck" within the city limits was prohibited by law. This precluded most self-employed blue collar workers from living there.

I've now returned to Texas after many years because I believe as most Texans do that a person in need should be given a hand up and not a handout. Most Texans do not believe in a perverted Robin Hood government scheme of redistribution of wealth with no regard of who or who does not deserve it.

However, you are right about Texas eventually falling. I've known nothing in my life that did not decay and fall down. Liberalism is a later stage of decay that all governments and societies go through and Texas is not immune to becoming blue. However right now based on State economies, if Texas falls soon, it will fall over the already dead and decaying bodies of states who bought the old lie that liberalism is some sort of advanced stage of social development.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:22 PM

15 posts, read 84,078 times
I moved from lubbock and amarillo to albuquerque for highschool and new mexico hates texans , hates that texas even touches their border ... I guess some of them feel like if they let us come over we will own half the state like we use to....lol As far as me being proud to be from texas im a proud american first , texan second , ill have hard times and good times here , but i cant see myself living and dying anywhere else but texas... just turns my stomach to even think about moving...

Last edited by stacy532; 07-25-2009 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 06:30 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
When people are "proud" of their race,ethnicity or that they are a "native born anything" I often wonder if they have no real accomplishments to be proud of instead. People have nothing to do with their place of birth or race. They can be good parents, good workers or have some special accomplishments.

I've lived in many states- Texas is nice because it is diverse and it has no state income tax. Because of the diversity I have lived in several parts - all different. Because of the no income tax - I was able to afford to - lol.

Texas also has things I am NOT proud of. Low literacy rates, high obesity rates and GW Bush.

Texas Nick people move here .. for jobs. We have oil and gas.

Each state has something good (Except Arkansas lol) .. and something bad to say about it. I enjoy Texas but rather be somewhere else in the summer.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:35 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy532 View Post
I moved from lubbock and amarillo to albuquerque for highschool and new mexico hates texans , hates that texas even touches their border ... I guess some of them they feel like if they let us come over we will own half the state like we use to....lol
Hi Stacy,

I guess I would have to say that some New Mexicans do indeed hate Texans especially among the younger folks but for me I love New Mexico almost as much as I love my native State of Texas. My life started and will end in Texas but I will continue to visit the Land of Enchantment until the DMV takes away my driving license.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:47 PM

15 posts, read 84,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Hi Stacy,

I guess I would have to say that some New Mexicans do indeed hate Texans especially among the younger folks but for me I love New Mexico almost as much as I love my native State of Texas. My life started and will end in Texas but I will continue to visit the Land of Enchantment until the DMV takes away my driving license.
my parents still live in albuquerque i have no regrets of living there 4 years but i could not wait to get back to the flatlands... its in my blood i guess? if you drive west of morton texas and drive to the newmexico border towards dora that has to be like going back in time to the 1800's i almost thought the road was closed and the baracades fell down ... I think it seems the nm dot hates their state so bad they refuse to fix the highways...

Old 07-25-2009, 07:56 PM

45 posts, read 173,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I do not want to bash TX or anything, I just want a straight answer on why the Texas people are so proud from being from TX. I would appreciate if you guys do not get offended by this question, and I also would appreciate if someone can answer my question. Thanks
Having grown up in Texas. It is because it's the biggest in the lower 48. It can also divide into 5 states anytime it wishes to. This was how Texas joined the Union with that particular stipulation. Also the saying don't Mess with Texas. Read about that on google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas