Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times

Advertisements

Dallas also has Fair Park - the largest collection of Art Deco Exhibition buildings in the world:

Fair Park

Historic Fair Park, Dallas, Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 05:55 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,973,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Brenham is a completely different scene,however, being essentially in East Texas (East Central, perhaps, but still East). It's just not Texas like the Hill Country. Too gentle and Southern. Not at all rugged. Not really horse country, either. Attractions nearby include Liberty, TX with its great antique rose business (forget the name) and farther on, Washington-on-the-Brazos, original capital of the Republic. It's not happening in the way that the Fredericksburg-Kerrville-Bandera region of the Hill Country are.

Way too late for me to edit, but the place I referred to is the Antique Rose Emporium. Although a business, it is truly a labour of love, doing research, having an exhibition garden, and acting as a resource to old rose lovers, esp. to the Texas Rose Rustlers. They put on educational programmes about rose horticulture and other aspects of rose culture. They're out in the country not too far from Brenham, with a Liberty, TX PO box.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:21 AM

58 posts, read 232,526 times
What about Wimberley in Hill Country? Anything near or around that town?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 AM

Wimberly is another good idea IMO. The thing is, for historical attractions, people would need to drive a bit. The countryside and vistas around Wimberly are incomparable. You'd just need to emphasise more of the outdoors aspect there than specific attractions AFAIK.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Wimberly is another good idea IMO. The thing is, for historical attractions, people would need to drive a bit. The countryside and vistas around Wimberly are incomparable. You'd just need to emphasise more of the outdoors aspect there than specific attractions AFAIK.
Very cool. We're all about horses, though. Is Wimberley a western type town (think: Bandera) or not so much?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Wimberly is a little more of an art colony type place. It's much less wide open vistas than Bandera. The town itself seems to be nestled in a little valley, though in close proximity are Hill Country features like the Devil's Backbone, a long, narrow rocky outcropping that runs for some distance and has a road built over it -- very good view going over it. Bandera feels much more Western. Wimberly is a little villagey sort of a place. I'd suggest visiting the various places mentioned in the thread, including Bandera, Fredericksburg, Llano, Wimberly, and Kerrville. I believe those would be my top choices.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Quote:
Wimberly is a little more of an art colony type place. It's much less wide open vistas than Bandera. The town itself seems to be nestled in a little valley, though in close proximity are Hill Country features like the Devil's Backbone, a long, narrow rocky outcropping that runs for some distance and has a road built over it -- very good view going over it. Bandera feels much more Western. Wimberly is a little villagey sort of a place. I'd suggest visiting the various places mentioned in the thread, including Bandera, Fredericksburg, Llano, Wimberly, and Kerrville. I believe those would be my top choices.

All those places have gone overly tourist the past decade. Pefect place to open a B&B.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
All those places have gone overly tourist the past decade. Pefect place to open a B&B.

"Perfect place to open a B&B" is music to my ears

Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,505,176 times
Interesting thread !!

Old 07-18-2012, 12:26 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,859,742 times
Quote:
Way too late for me to edit, but the place I referred to is the Antique Rose Emporium. Although a business, it is truly a labour of love, doing research, having an exhibition garden, and acting as a resource to old rose lovers, esp. to the Texas Rose Rustlers. They put on educational programmes about rose horticulture and other aspects of rose culture. They're out in the country not too far from Brenham, with a Liberty, TX PO box.
Actually, the Antique Rose Emporium is in Independence, Texas. The ARE also has a chapel and hosts many weddings. Independence is also home to the original site of Baylor University.

Brenham is at the center of the Blue Bonnet Trail for spring time viewing of the Blue Bonnets and other wild flowers. http://www.brenhamtexas.com/files/306.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas