U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What is your favorite style of Texas cooking/food?
Southern/Soul/Country 14 25.93%
Tex-Mex 22 40.74%
BBQ 14 25.93%
Southwestern 2 3.70%
Other (specify) 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
3,984 posts, read 3,492,733 times
Reputation: 2029
C'mon Ya'll, is this even really a debate? It's BBQ all the way.

Question: Cousin's BBQ or Tex-Mex (*insert said Tex-Mex restaurant here*)

That's what I thought.....Cousin's all the way. Case closed.

I guess ya'll know how I voted.

It would actually be a tie for me between Southern (okay, let's just call it what it is = the way food is supposed to be/taste, LOL) and BBQ....but, I've always equated BBQ (the right kind) with Southern fare anyway......so I kinda see 'em as the same thing.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Status: "Summer vacation;out of town a lot and not on line much!" (set 12 days ago)
 
9,716 posts, read 10,443,142 times
Reputation: 4845
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Thank you!...Someone finally said what Ive been thinking....lol Ive been trying to ignore this fact for the longest when people say that beef is the type of BBQ that TX has...

but, I, like you have noticed that in East Texas you can find about as much pork BBQ as you can find beef.
I am not a native of East Texas, but definitely spend a lot of time out there. And we plan to retire in the Jefferson/Marshall/Caddo Lake area. Anyway, every bit of experience I have out there confirms what you and Mc say. Pork is -- at the very LEAST -- a featured item. East Texas BBQ is in the Deep South tradition.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 10:41 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 3,209,825 times
Reputation: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I am not a native of East Texas, but definitely spend a lot of time out there. And we plan to retire in the Jefferson/Marshall/Caddo Lake area. Anyway, every bit of experience I have out there confirms what you and Mc say. Pork is -- at the very LEAST -- a featured item. East Texas BBQ is in the Deep South tradition.
at times I feel like a Texas traitor...lol...I have developed secret affinity for pork ribs...sshhhh!...dont tell the other Texans tho...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
4,712 posts, read 4,347,258 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I am not a native of East Texas, but definitely spend a lot of time out there. And we plan to retire in the Jefferson/Marshall/Caddo Lake area. Anyway, every bit of experience I have out there confirms what you and Mc say. Pork is -- at the very LEAST -- a featured item. East Texas BBQ is in the Deep South tradition.
Do you happen to know if the Caddo Grocery in Uncertain is still around? We haven't been to Caddo in years, but my husband liked their BBQ. I think I read, and this could have been a couple of years ago, that Caddo Grocery was changing hands or closing...I can't remember. When I tried to click on a link for it at a Caddo Lake site, it wouldn't take me to their site.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,308 posts, read 2,060,246 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
at times I feel like a Texas traitor...lol...I have developed secret affinity for pork ribs...sshhhh!...dont tell the other Texans tho...
Don't feel bad. I used to live right down the street from this place: Central BBQ - Welcome to Central BBQ, and I developed quite a taste for pulled pork sandwiches with the slaw on them. It's definitely possible to like both pork and brisket.






Brisket is still better though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 01:04 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
3,984 posts, read 3,492,733 times
Reputation: 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Don't feel bad. I used to live right down the street from this place: Central BBQ - Welcome to Central BBQ, and I developed quite a taste for pulled pork sandwiches with the slaw on them. It's definitely possible to like both pork and brisket.

Brisket is still better though.
>>>>>
Brisket is still better though
<<<<<

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you here.

But let's just say I've never turned down brisket either.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 04:08 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 3,209,825 times
Reputation: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Don't feel bad. I used to live right down the street from this place: Central BBQ - Welcome to Central BBQ, and I developed quite a taste for pulled pork sandwiches with the slaw on them. It's definitely possible to like both pork and brisket.






Brisket is still better though.
gotta agree with this one....im a newly converted brisket eater



ah hell who am I kidding...I just love bbq
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Status: "Summer vacation;out of town a lot and not on line much!" (set 12 days ago)
 
9,716 posts, read 10,443,142 times
Reputation: 4845
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Do you happen to know if the Caddo Grocery in Uncertain is still around? We haven't been to Caddo in years, but my husband liked their BBQ. I think I read, and this could have been a couple of years ago, that Caddo Grocery was changing hands or closing...I can't remember. When I tried to click on a link for it at a Caddo Lake site, it wouldn't take me to their site.
*sighs sadly* Unfortunately, TXNGL, it is not only not open, but GONE!

We were out there in June, and just as you turn the corner onto Cypress Drive off of FM 2198, there the whole store was -- believe it or not -- up on a house-moving trailer rig! The lot where it once existed was pretty much vacant.

As I understand it from friends out there, Miss Betty (original owner) passed away a few years back and yeah, I think it WAS sold after that. What happened since -- as to why it was actually uprooted to be moved somewhere else -- I am not really sure of. In fact, in asking around among the friends I have made over the years in that area, I sorta got the impression that nobody really know the whole story.

But yep, you are right. They served up some excellent BBQ. It was also a gathering spot of local folks just to sit and pass the time of day. And the conversation when you drop in was always easy and friendly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
4,712 posts, read 4,347,258 times
Reputation: 3582
TexasReb, Oh no! It sounds silly, but one of our favorite things to do in Uncertain in the afternoon was to walk down (we stayed at Hodge Podge) to the Caddo grocery. My husband would grab some BBQ, my daughter would get a candy bar or some such snack. It was a nice walk, past the Turtle Crossing sign I think, shaded by those magnificent pines. This is just so depressing to hear.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Status: "Summer vacation;out of town a lot and not on line much!" (set 12 days ago)
 
9,716 posts, read 10,443,142 times
Reputation: 4845
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
TexasReb, Oh no! It sounds silly, but one of our favorite things to do in Uncertain in the afternoon was to walk down (we stayed at Hodge Podge) to the Caddo grocery. My husband would grab some BBQ, my daughter would get a candy bar or some such snack. It was a nice walk, past the Turtle Crossing sign I think, shaded by those magnificent pines. This is just so depressing to hear.
I know this is getting OT, but it doesn't sound silly at all, hon!!.

I know exactly what you mean. We too stayed at Hodge Podge the first couple of years we were out there. And yep, that walk along Cypress Drive to the grocery, and to the Shady Glade Cafe. The pines and the cypress trees dripping spanish moss along the lanes and lake. Just nothing like it. I could walk and just keep walking back and forth cos it was sooooo beautiful and sublime....
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top