U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 PM

14,267 posts, read 19,625,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
La Posada is awesome, or was. Does it still have the museum?
According to their website it is still there.

La Posada Hotel and Suites, South Texas location on Rio Grande, Laredo Texas

Quote:
The Republic of the Rio Grande Museum is located on-site and the San Agustin Cathedral is immediately adjacent.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 05:04 PM

15,388 posts, read 14,863,680 times
I was wondering this myself as I wanted to get away for a long weekend. Hoping to relax in hot dry (er) air and maybe go into Mexico for cheap cocktails at night. Am I asking to be shot in Nuevo Laredo? Or is it more scare hype. I dont do drugs but I like Tequila

Old 09-16-2009, 08:04 PM

2,739 posts, read 5,531,790 times
Nuevo Laredo is fine, the Mexican military is all over it like white on rice. The cities have both suffered immensly due to the deserved bad publicity from a while back, but as a response, the military cracked down and literally took back the streets. You can now go to NL in the day as you used to, at night I prob. wouldn't recommend it...but by all means don't be anymore afraid of going to NL than say Matamoros.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:32 AM

15,388 posts, read 14,863,680 times
Good to hear. I talked w some folks I know in Playa who thought much of the violence was over hyped by US tourism agencies in order to keep vacationers in the States, so they would spend their money in Florida or Vegas where it was 'safe'. Then again some colleagues in El Paso are keeping their eyes open.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:27 AM

4,609 posts, read 6,069,840 times
Laredo is a worse place to live than to visit. There is in fact drug-related crime there, but it is I think mostly centered in the more poverty-stricken areas of town. There's also a tremendous amount of drug abuse by poor Hispanic kids, whom I used to see at a drug rehab facility in Central Texas, where the juvenile court in Laredo would routinely send them. BBC America also recently did an extensive report on the spillover of drug-related crime from Mexico into Laredo -- I really don't think the BBC were simply making it up (interviewing locals who were simply fantasizing about the gun play by young thugs around their homes and businesses).

Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 AM

2,739 posts, read 5,531,790 times
I don't know if I would say the danger was exaggerated, there wa a tough period and things were out of control like never before. But as you know with cable news channels running 24 hours, they have to fill up their space, and nothing better than sensationalistic stories.

Spillover crime? Depends how you look at it. Both cities are linked, same families on both sides, people cross the border...drug traffic and crime is a problem in both places, as it would be in any city at the border. But for the average person passing by or visiting it is fine. The problems are drug related, if you stay out of the criminal underworld you will be fine. Sometimes, the sensational or unknown things seem scarier than they really are, but I am sure if you were caught up in the drug trade in Houston, things would be just as dangerous.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:00 PM

158 posts, read 181,754 times
The La Posada has been great (and relatively cheap) everytime I have stayed there.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,775 times
Does anyone know where the safest rv park is to stay at in or around Laredo, TX?

Old 02-21-2010, 02:09 PM

200 posts, read 344,725 times
Lowest crime in Texas? That's certainly a load of BS. The total # of crimes may be lower tha DFW, but population wise it's through the roof.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:14 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,367,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertrev View Post
Lowest crime in Texas? That's certainly a load of BS. The total # of crimes may be lower tha DFW, but population wise it's through the roof.
No, actually the safety rankings consider per capita crime, not total # of crimes... And the data shows places like El Paso and Laredo to be significantly safer than either DFW or Houston. This article tries to shed some light: The El Paso Miracle - Reason Magazine. You can find similar population-wise data here on city-data, which will also show places like El Paso and Laredo to be much safer tha DFW or Houston.

Personally, I think the lawlessness across the border may lead to the US-side being so safe. I mean, if you give criminals a place where lawlessness, drugs, violence, etc run free... well, most of the criminals will go hang out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas