Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
As an adult I lived twenty five years in Houston then ten years in Dallas and I've been over under around and thru both. NEVER heard anything about rivalry between the two. More like one doesn't even know the other exists.

They are two very completely apart, separate and distinct parts of the state.
As strange as it sounds, Im finding that out myself. I initally signed up for this board because I wanted to find out more about Dallas since I was moving there and most of what I found was ALOT of Houston vs. Dallas stuff all over the place. Quite heated too.

However since Ive lived here, I dont think Ive heard Houston mentioned once. Heck, if Dallas has a rivalry with someone, there sure are quiet about it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 10:12 PM

137 posts, read 702,618 times
i always thought it was the rest of texas who didn't think of el paso as part of texas.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:27 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,263,230 times
Midland v. Odessa
Lubbock v. Amarillo
Dallas v. Houston
Dallas v. Fort Worth (this one is one of the bigger ones; ask a Fort Worther "what part of Dallas they're from" and they're liable to garrote you.)

Old 08-04-2009, 08:41 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
There isn't really a rivalry between Houston and Dallas because the Dallas people are all deluded.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:53 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
As strange as it sounds, Im finding that out myself. I initally signed up for this board because I wanted to find out more about Dallas since I was moving there and most of what I found was ALOT of Houston vs. Dallas stuff all over the place. Quite heated too.

However since Ive lived here, I dont think Ive heard Houston mentioned once. Heck, if Dallas has a rivalry with someone, there sure are quiet about it to me.
My experience as well. Grew up in Dallas, never heard of this rivalry. Started reading these boards, it's a whole different world!
I had been aware of a friendly rivalry between Dallas and Ft Worth, though it's not a big deal and not something that people I know go on about.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:55 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvp View Post
i always thought it was the rest of texas who didn't think of el paso as part of texas.
Never once have heard this. Of course El Paso is part of Texas!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:16 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
I consider El Paso a part of Texas. If you go there, you will see it is...

Old 08-04-2009, 02:41 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
I honestly can't believe some people have never heard of the Dallas vs. Houston sibling rivalry, its only been an on going thing since way back when. Dallas is the pretty, sassy little sister & Houston is the hard working big brother that likes to get his hands dirty.

Houston likes to pretend Dallas doesn't even exist & vice versa. When something is said about the other city in the local media its usually negative, not positive.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
You will hear more about the Houston vs. Dallas, Dallas vs. Fort Worth-less (had to work that in!)
rivalries if you are a native of one of those cities and you move to another!

It's all in good fun. Most times we don't give the other cities a second thought. Texas is rather large.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:20 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
These are really old articles, but yeah they show there is a long time rivalry even recognized by Time Mag and the NYTimes. Just keep your ears peeled during the evening news and you will hear an occasional Dallas jab, or you might see a nice Houston-slanted editorial in the paper.

"To folks in Dallas, Houston is a loud, boorish, blue-collar place, overwhelmed by nouveau riche high rollers and overrun with Cadillacs and pickup trucks. To folks in Houston, Dallas is a dull, snobbish, white-collar town, dominated by banking and defense interests, and overrun with Rolls-Royces and Mercedes."

The Best Little Rivalry in Texas - TIME
Houston vs. Dallas: A Boom, a Bust, Two Cities and One Intense Rivalry - The New York Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas