Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,491,866 times

Advertisements

LOL You know Big Spring must be horrible when people start offering Midland as a preferred alternative!

I think its like many small West Texas towns--friendly isolated, not really bad for crime, no nice lakes. Good high school football nearby but no professional teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 AM

782 posts, read 1,100,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamara8691 View Post
Considering a move to big spring any suggestions for good neighborhood to safely reside in and good schools for 5 yr old ? I am moving from WI where it is 25 below or more for the past 2 weeks and i am planning possible week visit in July or August I hope to scope out the area ....
The schools in Big Spring are some of the worst in the entire state, there is no place to get good schools. There really aren't any good neighborhoods either, and with the oil boom in west Texas, housing prices are through the roof (I have friends still there paying $1250 for a two bedroom apartment in an old and ghetto complex. I live in Round Rock/Austin and pay $870 for a bigger, newer, nicer place in an actually great neighborhood and school area) and availability is next to non-existant.

If you are single you might consider a move to Big Spring, but I am not lying to you ... if you have kids, don't go anywhere near this city.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
The schools in Big Spring are some of the worst in the entire state, there is no place to get good schools. There really aren't any good neighborhoods either, and with the oil boom in west Texas, housing prices are through the roof (I have friends still there paying $1250 for a two bedroom apartment in an old and ghetto complex. I live in Round Rock/Austin and pay $870 for a bigger, newer, nicer place in an actually great neighborhood and school area) and availability is next to non-existant.

If you are single you might consider a move to Big Spring, but I am not lying to you ... if you have kids, don't go anywhere near this city.

That said, if you ignore the warnings and go anyways, the very western areas of town tend to be the worst ... but there is no good area, there are massive drugs and gangs and crime everywhere.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
LOL You know Big Spring must be horrible when people start offering Midland as a preferred alternative!

I think its like many small West Texas towns--friendly isolated, not really bad for crime, no nice lakes. Good high school football nearby but no professional teams.
You are wrong. It is very, VERY bad for crime, a massive center for meth production, and home to a large gang pressence. Regular shootings and deaths. Some of the worst schools in the state, and massive drug problem in those schools.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:28 AM

130 posts, read 295,348 times
I like to call Big Spring "Sh~t Spring." last place in hell you would ever want to live. gangs, crime, drugs, and disease.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 PM

389 posts, read 1,651,426 times
I used to live south of big spring and enjoyed going their to shop and eat esp. at pizza inn and get groceries at HEB I never noticed any problem with the town or the people but I don't have any first hand experience living their its just my take on it.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 753 times
Big Spring is a s*** hole! We've been here for 2 years. You can't drink the water or drive on the roads without tearing up your vehicle. There are constantly water leaks on City mains which causes excavated roads which don't get repaved. There are limited restaurants and no nightlife. Houses are WAY overpriced and City just raised taxes again with scarce infrastructure improvements to show for it.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:27 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,251,463 times
Big Spring is not a good place.I used to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas