Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times

Advertisements

Yeah and you know so much about Dallas that you posted that there is a gay section in downtown...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 04:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
There is when you're there.

Let me set the record straight for you Lakewooder...

Just so you know, my grandfather who is still alive today grew up on Hall Street near Oaklawn/Cedar Springs/Lemmon Avenue & used to milk cows there when it was nothing more than open prairie. My family has deep roots in Dallas & even has an elementry school named after one of my relatives. My grandfathers brother helped design the spire on what is now called the Republic Center Tower in Downtown Dallas. My uncle has been with the DPD for over 25 years. My family once owned many, many acres of land & still has the mineral rights on that huge chunk of land near Flower Mound where Williams is drilling for natural gas. I've lived in North Dallas, Lewisville, & Arlington. I'm a born n' raised Texan. I know all I'll ever need to know about the city & surrounding suburbs.

Thanks for caring!

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-18-2009 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-18-2009, 04:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Dallas is not full of transplants. The suburbs of Dallas are full of transplants.
It seems to be. Most of the people I have met in the city since I moved here are from other states and countries. But whats bad with that?

Maybe thats a difference in the mentality. I like to think of it that we can share what we bring from our respective homes. I dont think of it that Im ruining what you guys already had.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:58 PM

Most of the people I meet are natives - when I go to the 'burbs most of the people I meet are transplants...

So maybe it's anecdotal when you or Matt (who doesn't like Dallas) post but I have the perspective of having lived here for 50 years. I am heavily involved with my high school alumni association (and several other DISD alumni associations - we have an alliance) and my college (SMU) alumni association. We do keep records and the large majority of alums have stayed in the city. My high school alone has more than 26,000 alums.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:10 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
We do keep records and the large majority of alums have stayed in the city. My high school alone has more than 26,000 alums.
So lets say 26k native Dallasites in a sea of 1.2 million people? That's just a drop in the bucket.

Lakewooder, you have still failed to respond back to my above post. I think you're the one who just got schooled my friend.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,483 times
I think it's like that in just about every state. The cities themselves compete for state and federal funds, so that doesn't help matters much. Plus there are the conservative vs. moderate vs. liberal cities in nearly every state which adds a different dynamic. As another poster said, a lot of California natives don't think too highly of people from other cities and states (everyone else hates LA, LA has no use for anyone else in CA except for their water, some Californians wonder how anyone can live outside the state, etc.). So Texas isn't unusual in that respect.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:08 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Ive never know a place that loved their own state so much but hated each others cities so much. If you look at city vs. city threads, its as if Texans love spewing venom at each other more than anywhere else. I see this alot in the Dallas Vs. Houston threads. People will say ANYTHING just to make each other mad. Ive never seen a forum where people just live for trashing each other, than the Texas forums where posters are comparing cities. Houston is a chemical swamp, Dallas is rude and materialistic, Austin is an overratted liberal hick town, etc. Also, often Texan posters come across very arrogant when talking about their towns.

I just moved here from California, and I actually see very little of this among people I know and I ask their opinions often. Most people Ive actually met in Dallas have little to say about anywhere South of Waco or East of Tyler.

If Texans are so prideful, then why do they hate each others cities so much?

because Texas is so big, most Texans have only ever been to other Texas cities to compare their city too, and hate?

Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
From a Geographic perspective, it kind of makes sense.
That's a great and interesting point. It comes down to pull.

Let's look at from a Central Texas Standpoint which is the Waco/Temple/Killeen area. Market wise, the three cities are connected on TV. Because Waco has historically been the bigger city out of the three and in the region and Waco has many ties to Dallas, the TV stations we got in Killeen was the Dallas stations. We use to have WFAA (and they probably still have it) and CBS11.

But around 1996, as Killeen continued to grow and started to distance itself from Waco, it started to bond a little bit more with the Austin area. Killeen and Temple's other CBS station (because we still had the local CBS station based out of Waco) was replaced with Austin's CBS station and we also received Austin's Fox station. We got Austin's radio stations while Waco only received Dallas stations.

As a result, a growing number of San Antonio fans are in Killeen as well as adopting Texas as it's college team alongside Texas A&M. Baylor is not as popular in Killeen and most likely never was because most people in Killeen are not from Texas.

But from other states, you have rivalries. In the DC area you have DC vs Baltimore. They don't really much care for each other lol.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So lets say 26k native Dallasites in a sea of 1.2 million people? That's just a drop in the bucket.

Lakewooder, you have still failed to respond back to my above post. I think you're the one who just got schooled my friend.
26K is only ONE high school. If you read my post you will know that I am a member of the DISD high school alumni association alliance and we all keep records and have directories.

And where do you live now?

Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's a great and interesting point. It comes down to pull.

Let's look at from a Central Texas Standpoint which is the Waco/Temple/Killeen area. Market wise, the three cities are connected on TV. Because Waco has historically been the bigger city out of the three and in the region and Waco has many ties to Dallas, the TV stations we got in Killeen was the Dallas stations. We use to have WFAA (and they probably still have it) and CBS11.

But around 1996, as Killeen continued to grow and started to distance itself from Waco, it started to bond a little bit more with the Austin area. Killeen and Temple's other CBS station (because we still had the local CBS station based out of Waco) was replaced with Austin's CBS station and we also received Austin's Fox station. We got Austin's radio stations while Waco only received Dallas stations.

As a result, a growing number of San Antonio fans are in Killeen as well as adopting Texas as it's college team alongside Texas A&M. Baylor is not as popular in Killeen and most likely never was because most people in Killeen are not from Texas.

But from other states, you have rivalries. In the DC area you have DC vs Baltimore. They don't really much care for each other lol.
Hell Baylor isn't really even popular in Waco lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas