Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:14 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,140,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I probably should have worded this differently. What I was trying to say is that the people I meet dont have much to say negative or positive about areas too far from here. Ive never really heard anything bad about Houston from people here (outside of the weather, but everyone seems to think its a good city). I dated a girl from Houston way back when and Ive spent much time in Houston for work and in my time there, when we talked about other cities they didnt have much bad or good to say about Dallas.

What Im driving at here, is why is it so vocal online, but not in person?
ok, that makes more sense. I do think people in Texas are very much involved in where they live more than what is happening in the world outside of theirs. This may be good cause as you mentioned, they don't really hate the other cities.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,008,861 times
Speaking of Baylor, SMU, etc..do any of you remember the intense rivalry in the old Southwest Conference?

It's sort of the same thing..

Old 08-19-2009, 03:25 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,291,207 times
Oh yeah the SWC rivalries are classic, Baylor vs anybody Waco sits in the heart of the state I use to love a SWC game back in the day.

Anyway I think its a what your city has compared to what my city has. People love to compare apples to oranges in this case Dallas to Houston Austin to SA, Lubboock to Waco oh my.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:29 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,291,207 times
Waco and Killeen have always been frienemies. That goes back to district 13-5A football, basketball, and track. Plus people mostly outsiders( Ft Hood) look down on Waco and the people thats why i dont care for Killeen its Waco, Austin for me ( keep it on 35) And yes Waco is dominated by the Dallas market from channel 8 to k104.5 fm, most of the people who live up there are from Waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's a great and interesting point. It comes down to pull.

Let's look at from a Central Texas Standpoint which is the Waco/Temple/Killeen area. Market wise, the three cities are connected on TV. Because Waco has historically been the bigger city out of the three and in the region and Waco has many ties to Dallas, the TV stations we got in Killeen was the Dallas stations. We use to have WFAA (and they probably still have it) and CBS11.

But around 1996, as Killeen continued to grow and started to distance itself from Waco, it started to bond a little bit more with the Austin area. Killeen and Temple's other CBS station (because we still had the local CBS station based out of Waco) was replaced with Austin's CBS station and we also received Austin's Fox station. We got Austin's radio stations while Waco only received Dallas stations.

As a result, a growing number of San Antonio fans are in Killeen as well as adopting Texas as it's college team alongside Texas A&M. Baylor is not as popular in Killeen and most likely never was because most people in Killeen are not from Texas.

But from other states, you have rivalries. In the DC area you have DC vs Baltimore. They don't really much care for each other lol.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:30 PM

30 posts, read 137,631 times
I lived in Texas from the age of 3 to age 38, and I don't ever recall knowing about these feuds between the cities.
The thing I did see what how us Texans act like we are better than every other state, even if they haven't visited anywhere else.
I have lived in beautiful California for the past year, and have nothing but great experiences. When friends and family found out that I was moving to California, all I heard was "Ewww, people there are so rude!" "Eathquakes, wildfires, gangs!"
Haha, then I would ask, "Oh, so you've been to California?"
They would respond, "Oh no, never been."
But yet they knew SO much!

In my experience, its all how you act towards other people. If you go in with a negative attitude, then that's how you're going to be treated back.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:25 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,598,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyD1970 View Post
I lived in Texas from the age of 3 to age 38, and I don't ever recall knowing about these feuds between the cities.
The thing I did see what how us Texans act like we are better than every other state, even if they haven't visited anywhere else.
I have lived in beautiful California for the past year, and have nothing but great experiences. When friends and family found out that I was moving to California, all I heard was "Ewww, people there are so rude!" "Eathquakes, wildfires, gangs!"
Haha, then I would ask, "Oh, so you've been to California?"
They would respond, "Oh no, never been."
But yet they knew SO much!

In my experience, its all how you act towards other people. If you go in with a negative attitude, then that's how you're going to be treated back.
THANK YOU!

Ive been dealing with that on here as well. There another thread in the Dallas forum where a poster from Houston has been saying things about LA and when I asked him if he/she had ever been there, the answer of course was no.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:03 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,870,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The whole accent thing is mostly with Blacks. I'll try to find videos to show you an example
The accent thing is true. I'm at Prairie View right now, and you can tell who is from Houston and who is from Dallas by the way they talk. The ones from Houston are more laid back/calm and the ones from Dallas are more in your face/loud.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,049,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
The accent thing is true. I'm at Prairie View right now, and you can tell who is from Houston and who is from Dallas by the way they talk. The ones from Houston are more laid back/calm and the ones from Dallas are more in your face/loud.
You must've met my home girl lmao

Old 08-28-2009, 06:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,598,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You must've met my home girl lmao
Im still curious to know what the difference is by accent. You mentioned that its a black thing. The white people Ive met from both cities sound the same to me. Maybe Houstonians sound more cajun and Dallasites sound more midwestern, but thats a shot in the dark.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:07 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,857,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Im still curious to know what the difference is by accent. You mentioned that its a black thing. The white people Ive met from both cities sound the same to me. Maybe Houstonians sound more cajun and Dallasites sound more midwestern, but thats a shot in the dark.
Both sound Texan or where ever else they're from to me. However, here in Eastern Texas there is a discernable draw that sounds more like someone from Alabama or Georgia than Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas