Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Im not sure. Dallas is being invaded by Californians, but I dont see Houston up in arms!
Because Houston is being overrun by Californians itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 11:10 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Because Houston is being overrun by Californians itself.
Where EVERYWHERE! You cannot escape! When Im hungry, I often find myself biting the necks and feasting on the blood of native Texans!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,714 times
I live in Houston and I am not sure why this happens, but it is incredibly true. The weird thing is we all have the same accent, our cities our absolutely similar and the people generally have the same beliefs politically and religiously. So anthropologically speaking this is a anomaly. But it's there, people in Dallas doesn't like Houston and people from Houston get defensive, I don't know how people feel about Austinites in fact i don't think i have ever met one, Austin is more like the battle ground between the two. But we keep it strictly smack talking about sports and which city sucks the most, no real violence.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stexan View Post
I live in Houston and I am not sure why this happens, but it is incredibly true. The weird thing is we all have the same accent, our cities our absolutely similar and the people generally have the same beliefs politically and religiously. So anthropologically speaking this is a anomaly. But it's there, people in Dallas doesn't like Houston and people from Houston get defensive, I don't know how people feel about Austinites in fact i don't think i have ever met one, Austin is more like the battle ground between the two. But we keep it strictly smack talking about sports and which city sucks the most, no real violence.
Sometimes when I go down to Houston for work and I mention that I live in Dallas, I get death stares. But most of the time people seem nice enough about it. Dallas is the same way with Houstonians. Some go off, but most are nice enough about it.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Oh it's just the traditions of our forefathers to feign disgust for the other cities. It's fun to to tease each other. But when someone from outside Texas takes a shot we circle the wagons. It's nice to see old Texas traditions being kept alive!

Although I have to admit that sometimes Austin really thinks it's better than the other places! Kind of like when you go to San Francisco and you tell someone you are from Texas.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 4,316 times
Frisco!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:16 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
I remember when Frisco was a wide spot in the road. I liked it better that way.

Seriouslly though, I think Lakewooder has it right. Although there are entirely too many threads trying to set us all against each other.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 AM

9 posts, read 16,617 times
People from Dallas and Houston rag on each other because the cities are so alike. In many areas in the U.S. there is one city in a given region that is the center of urbanity, culture, commerce, entertainment, art, ect. New York, Chicago, Denver, Atlanta, Seattle, Miami and Phoenix are the unquestioned signature cities in their respected regions. But in Texas both Houston and Dallas compete for this prestige. The cities are only 250 miles apart so they share the same region. Even L.A. and S.F. are far enough apart (400 miles) that the rivalry is kept civil. But here in Texas, neither city is the unquestioned center of all things that make up a great city, Houston has some areas covered, Dallas has others. It has been this way forever - so has the rivalry between the two cities.

It's hard for me to imagine one city ever truly pulling away from the other. There is too much civic pride at stake. Anything one city has the other works very hard to get. Stadiums, rail, towers, airports,ect. In the 70s, Houston was the fasting growing area in the nation. Today DFW is, with Houston right on it's tail as 2nd fasting growing area. Things changed in the past and they can in the future. I don't think either area will ever be the unquestioned leader in the state. And neither would I expect to see the rivalry ever go away. But who cares, the two cities ragging on each other is just another part of the experience of living there. Dallas wouldn't be nearly as interesting without Houston being nearby and Houston wouldn't be nearly as interesting without Dallas being nearby. With the 2 city/metros being so similar in all the things that really count - the only things there are to fight about are the little details. This is why the Houston/Dallas threads get so petty and juvenile. Still, it can make for some entertaining reading on a slow business day.

Last edited by DallasEngineer33; 08-25-2010 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasEngineer33 View Post
People from Dallas and Houston rag on each other because the cities are so alike. In many areas in the U.S. there is one city in a given region that is the center of urbanity, culture, commerce, entertainment, art, ect. New York, Chicago, Denver, Atlanta, Seattle, Miami and Phoenix are the unquestioned signature cities in their respected regions. But in Texas both Houston and Dallas compete for this prestige. The cities are only 250 miles apart so they share the same region. Even L.A. and S.F. are far enough apart (400 miles) that the rivalry is kept civil. But here in Texas, neither city is the unquestioned center of all things that make up a great city, Houston has some areas covered, Dallas has others. It has been this way forever - so has the rivalry between the two cities.

It's hard for me to imagine one city ever truly pulling away from the other. There is too much civic pride at stake. Anything one city has the other works very hard to get. Stadiums, rail, towers, airports,ect. In the 70s, Houston was the fasting growing area in the nation. Today DFW is, with Houston right on it's tail as 2nd fasting growing area. Things changed in the past and they can in the future. I don't think either area will ever be the unquestioned leader in the state. And neither would I expect to see the rivalry ever go away. But who cares, the two cities ragging on each other is just another part of the experience of living there. Dallas wouldn't be nearly as interesting without Houston being nearby and Houston wouldn't be nearly as interesting without Dallas being nearby. With the 2 city/metros being so similar in all the things that really count - the only things there are to fight about are the little details. This is why the Houston/Dallas threads get so petty and juvenile. Still, it can make for some entertaining reading on a slow business day.
Nicely put. +1.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:19 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times
my personal opinion is that they hate each other because each city is different from each other. but people do not realize this so they go on spreading puffery making claims why their city is so much better. they don't realize that it's their differences that makes texas an awesome state to be in.

i have seen quite a rivalry between austin and san antonio though. san antonioans think of austinites as snobby and pretentious.... while austinites don't really have an opinion about san antonio except that it's boring and ugly. i personally do not agree with either of them. most people who say this about san antonio are from out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas