Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Texas Vote Democrat In Any Of The Next 5 Presidential Elections?
Yes 36 46.15%
No 27 34.62%
No Way To Tell 12 15.38%
Who Cares. 3 3.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:47 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,547,003 times

Advertisements

Seems to my limited view that Texas may be getting more liberal...
...with more Hispanics and more of those lovely Californians moving here.

God bless 'em both!

Anyways...
what are the chances I'll live to see Texas vote for a Democrat any time soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:51 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,386,127 times
The Hispanic community is largely conservative - not liberal. The only reason they leaned toward the Democratic side is because McCain held to irrational stances on immigration reform and his militant stances on methods to control illegal border crossings. It seemed that McCain went out of his way to offend that people group.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:02 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,196,267 times
NO! If I have anything to do with it, Texas will be going solidly Libertarian.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:10 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,386,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willysb View Post
no! if i have anything to do with it, texas will be going solidly libertarian.
amen!

Old 08-18-2009, 08:23 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,178,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Seems to my limited view that Texas may be getting more liberal...
...with more Hispanics and more of those lovely Californians moving here.

God bless 'em both!

Anyways...
what are the chances I'll live to see Texas vote for a Democrat any time soon?

"lovely Californians moving here."

We are not California.....We still pay our bills...And not with IOU's!!!!

And what really gets me is why don't people move to the places they think are so great.... Maybe we don't want to be changed.....I-10 goes all of the way to California....Gas is at a lower price right now, so it may just be the best time to head west if you think California is so great... And by the way, you will pay more for that gas in California.....

Old 08-18-2009, 08:58 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,562,196 times
If the Republican party keeps on with their current image of being nearly irrelevant, and the income disparities keep on growing, then Texas could very well turn blue in 20 years or less. Consider birth rates and the anchor baby theory. As long as whites keep worshipping their dollars and their birth control pills, they will lose voting power when the next generation is able to vote. The Republican party needs to reinvent itself pretty fast if it wants to retain control.

And I don't really see the conservative vs. liberal argument holding up any more. Many minority-Texan communities have a reputation of voting overwhelimingly blue, but are still fairly conservative overall, being church-going, family-oriented, etc.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:12 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,643,046 times
Contrary to what it may seem, more and more people are calling themselves "conservative" these days. According to the latest Gallup poll, conservatives now outnumber liberals in all 50 states.

CNSNews.com - Conservatives Now Outnumber Liberals in All 50 States, Says Gallup Poll (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/52602 - broken link)

It seems that most people are thinking they are conservative, when, in reality, they are really conservative democrats.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
The Hispanic community is largely conservative - not liberal. The only reason they leaned toward the Democratic side is because McCain held to irrational stances on immigration reform and his militant stances on methods to control illegal border crossings. It seemed that McCain went out of his way to offend that people group.
I was about to point that out as well, especially the ones that vote. Too many people put too much into the vote in 2008. I don't think we can really know what will happen in 25 years, heck Ca may become conservative and OK a bunch of libs, (not likely of course)

and yes, TexasNick you are right, more and more are saying they are conservatives.

Nita

Old 08-18-2009, 09:27 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
NO! If I have anything to do with it, Texas will be going solidly Libertarian.
You could be right, but the party has a long way to go. I am not knocking the party although I do have some problems with the views, I still think it is going to take many more years to convince people to vote for the libertarian candidates. The country is definently leaning Libertarian or independent, that is for sure.

NIta

Old 08-18-2009, 10:11 AM

265 posts, read 594,648 times
Texas needs to throw the anchor babies overboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas