U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:43 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,944,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So the people who talk about their children's science teachers stating that the Earth is 6000 years old are lying?
That's strange. I don't remember saying that. I'm sure in small town Texas (or any part of rural America), that might very well be the case, but for the vast majority of kids going through public school today (with me being one of them), creationism and Christianity are not mentioned except in an historical or analytical context (the Bible is alluded to very often in Western literature).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 05:25 PM

75,635 posts, read 36,744,695 times
Quote:
If its all the same to you, the debate should continue. When you get elected "Fuhrer of That Which Is Debatable" I'm sure we'll stop for you.

HOWEVER, since we, as a representative democracy (even in Texas) have the opportunity not to reelect the people who appoint the clowns who make these decisions based on their religious views, the debate should CONTINUE loud and clear. And it should continue until reasonable and constitutionally guaranteed separation of church and state exists in Texas schools.

The ONLY thing that shouldn't be up for debate is that evolution is science and creationism is theology.
I was replying to the poster and I thought the poster was not aware that it had passed already.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:26 PM

75,635 posts, read 36,744,695 times
Quote:
So the people who talk about their children's science teachers stating that the Earth is 6000 years old are lying?
A single poster said it was taught in their small town school.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:02 PM

1,478 posts, read 644,915 times
Some Texans and the Taliban have a lot in common. They would rather teach religion, live in ignorance, and be intolerant. Its too bad areas of Texas aspire to be the Pakistan of the USA.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:10 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,329,482 times
Well, aside from all that....if it's an elective and enough children want to take the class...the only problem I see is if it grows a culture outside those *elective* classrooms.

Yes?

No?

Old 08-23-2009, 01:35 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,529,910 times
The problem is it places one religion above other religions in school. In Texas no doubt Jewish and Muslim and other minority religions already feel a bit overwhelmed by all the fundamentalist Christianity shoved at them.
Private citizens having that effect on people with their dogma and closed-mindedness about other groups of people is one thing.
However when the State is favoring one religious group over another and using taxpayer money to fund that it is getting to the point of absurdity.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:57 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,329,482 times
Good point...hmmm...it seems like a balancing act between the school representing the community (who's taxes, if I'm correct, fund the school) and providing an atmosphere ...well, safe from the community.

Or something like that.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:18 PM

2,534 posts, read 4,922,949 times
Texas already lags the country in literacy and education, and those who want the Bible taught are the least literate portions of the population.

Why not have the churches pay property tax like everyone else has to?

Old 02-04-2010, 02:40 PM

32 posts, read 41,973 times
Wink World Religion Theory, Thought and Criticism

World Religion Theory, Thought and Criticism (which includes Agnosticism, Hinduism, Islam, Atheism, Taoism, and more.......

That is an acceptable course which is inclusive of all religions; not a course favoring one particular religious doctrine. The problem might be that the "World Religions" will not be offered because the same people who want the bible class don't want their kids exposed to other religions and theories.

If the bible course doesn't offer theory and criticism (and that criticism includes questioning its validity in theories, ideas and concepts, just as any other similar course like literature, philosophy, etc would) and the teacher does not present it in that fashion, then it isn't really an academic course, so what is the point of the course I ask?

Old 02-06-2010, 01:00 PM

14,652 posts, read 28,029,110 times
Texas already lags the country in literacy and education, and those who want the Bible taught are the least literate portions of the population.

TX is not the worst states but there are problems with our education system...
as an English teacher, I understand the impact the Bible, both old and new testaments have had on some of the significant writers of English lit--but it is mainly a Western influence...when part of the study of literature has widened to include world writers from variety of cultures who were influenced by the religions of their culture...
this was such a poorly thought out, knee-jerk reaction by someone in the legislature to win points with his constituents--
the district and TEA were taken aback and ill-prepared to actually TEACH this subject since frankly few teachers who teach in high school are certified to teach a Bible course--they did not know whether to put it under the ELA dept what--certainly did not seem like social studies was the right place..
there were no standards in place for what should be covered as far as specific curriculum--it is just wide-open for mis-use...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas