Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 03:07 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,750 times

Advertisements

(I thought I'd posted this before but here goes)

Wow, in the land where private property is KING...

Land: Coastal Legislation

Quote:
The Open Beaches Act of 1959, amended in 1991, guarantees the public's right of free and unrestricted access to the "public beach." It requires the commissioner of the Texas General Land Office to develop rules protecting the public's right to use and enjoy Texas beaches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Open_Beaches_Act
Quote:
The Texas Open Beaches Act is a U.S. state of Texas law, passed in 1959 and amended in 1991, which guarantees free public access to beaches on the Gulf of Mexico.[1]
The public... shall have the free and unrestricted right of ingress and egress to and from the state-owned beaches bordering on the seaward shore of the Gulf of Mexico ... extending from the line of mean low tide to the line of vegetation bordering on the Gulf of Mexico.[2]
After major storms, news headlines often suggest that beachfront residents may not be allowed to rebuild their homes due to the act[3] such as some Galveston homes affected by Hurricane Alicia in 1983.

I had no idea.

I think only Oregon (and Hawaii?) have these sort of public beaches laws.

This is for the whole coast right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 01:02 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
The whole Texas Coast, yes.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:45 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,265 times
California has laws like this. You can't enforce rights of way on private beaches in California, but you still have to pay big property taxes on them.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:09 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Well unlike HI, TX doesn't have Shanty Towns on the beach. I was totally shocked at the "tent estates" people set up. It was obvious they'd been living there for years.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:01 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,750 times
Huh! The NERVE!

Old 08-21-2009, 06:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I saw what not have this did in florida until tehy changed the law to require access by teh public to beaches. people satrted blocking acees and acting like the beaches were privte property.The beaches them sel;f must remain public property IMO.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:22 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
On Padre Island (including South Padre Island), quite a bit of the beach is private property with posted private signs on there. Also, a large chunk is also part of the Wildlife Refuge. Third, no vehicles are allowed to drive on the dunes. The beach is also enforced by the sheriff department and also various other agencies. However, it's still pretty desolate and remote out there. Padre Island is the longest Barrier Island in the world and the largest stretch of undeveloped ocean beach in North America.

I used to drive up and down it, explore behind every dune and did some location scouting for various movies and TV commercials. I even witnessed a fisherman reel up a barnacle-encrusted 19th Century musket with a lead ball still inside the barrel. Lots of history out there!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post

This is for the whole coast right?
And thank the lord that Texas did it.

Have you ever been to south Florida ? Condo after condo after condo after more condos line the beachfront. Small, very small sections of public beach.
There are public paths to the beach between some of the condos but then you can't find parking. What condos haven't grabbed up hotels did.

Further up the coast in Florida it's not as bad but still not great. Nothing compared to Texas and beach access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas