Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:15 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times

Advertisements

There is too much complaining in this thread. UT is fine.

Though I agree the high schools need some help. Most of that isn't the schools' faults though, it's the idiot parents who don't do their job raising kids these days. I just saw that video from an Alief Taylor High school. Beyond sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Primary and secondary education and college education are administered by two entirely different sets of people.

UT is the school where the best and brightest of Texas attend, not the rank-and-file graduate of our subpar public schools. Also, Texas does not rank 49th in any ranking I've ever seen, and never will as long as that exclusive quadrangle of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama exist.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:36 PM

80 posts, read 108,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Primary and secondary education and college education are administered by two entirely different sets of people.

UT is the school where the best and brightest of Texas attend, not the rank-and-file graduate of our subpar public schools. Also, Texas does not rank 49th in any ranking I've ever seen, and never will as long as that exclusive quadrangle of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama exist.
That was right, we were were 45th before George W Bush was govenor of Texas, Texas was 49th after his two terms. So what is the differece 45th or 49th, neither ratings are acceptable.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:39 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You make the San Antonio area seem bad. I have family there is education is VERY important in to them. They don't settle for none of their kids not going to college, and pretty much will pay out of pocket just to make sure they achieve a higher education.
I like San Antonio. But I am not going to sugar coat the people I know here. These are the people I know here! Blame them, not me!

And one question for you -- have you ever lived outside of Texas?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:02 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Odessan in Austin View Post
That was right, we were were 45th before George W Bush was govenor of Texas, Texas was 49th after his two terms. So what is the differece 45th or 49th, neither ratings are acceptable.
That number that is thrown out is the dropout rate, not the overall quality of education, which is difficult if not impossible to quantify.

However, the remarkable thing is that Texas has as successful an education system as it does spending as little as it does on education. We rank dead last in education spending yet the best and brightest grads of Texas high schools (those that stick it out for all four years) tend to compete well with the best and brightest of every state. These are the kdis who are going to UT, and they're being prepared without bankrupting the state.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:23 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Dont' matter. As long as you have a degree, the world is yours.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I like San Antonio. But I am not going to sugar coat the people I know here. These are the people I know here! Blame them, not me!

And one question for you -- have you ever lived outside of Texas?
No, and I'm only 19. I've traveled outside the US though.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:41 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
However, the remarkable thing is that Texas has as successful an education system as it does spending as little as it does on education. We rank dead last in education spending yet the best and brightest grads of Texas high schools (those that stick it out for all four years) tend to compete well with the best and brightest of every state.
We have a successful education system because those at the very top succeed, while we fail hundreds of thousands who are not in the top 5 - 10%?

I don't know that the top 10% of grads from Texas high schools compete with the top 10% of grads from high schools elsewhere. The top 10 percent of my graduating class went overwhelmingly to ivy league universities. While you do have Texas grads going to ivy league or top tier schools, you don't have the percentage you have in other areas. I know that location is a factor, however, I don't think thelonerangers perspective is entirely accurate here.

Also, in most other places its a given that the best and the brightest will "stick it out" for the four years of high school... Is this really an issue here?

From what I hear from the UT community many top 10% high school grads are not prepared for even the rigors of UT-- which leads to a much lower 5 year degree completion rate than you say at the overwhelming majority of top 50 schools.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:12 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I don't know that the top 10% of grads from Texas high schools compete with the top 10% of grads from high schools elsewhere. The top 10 percent of my graduating class went overwhelmingly to ivy league universities.
My HS valedictorian didn't even go to college.

As long as Texas continues to focus on a test of very basic skills, it's going to drop further and further behind states like VA & CT.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:27 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
IIRC, ~40% of Harvard's Class of '09 was unemployed at graduation...a testimonial to the irrelevance of a lib arts degree, even from a prestigious college, in a challenging economy

Silly state boundaries are irrelevant in a globalized/Net-connected/Blackberry world where major tech or energy or financial firms will periodically relocate to most efficient locales where top execs want to live/work

Smartest kids from Harvard or Wharton flee upon graduation to NYC or SiliconValley

Despite MIT, Bos region has nearly no valuable tech cos.

U-IL is one of world's top 3-4 engineering schools for Computer Science, yet nearly all its top grads are in Silicon Valley, not in Chicago or in Midwest

Would argue money alone doesn't "buy" a useful education, nor do prestigious colleges always translate into a powerful local economy or big paychecks for grads

Smart, ambitious, entrepreneurial kids figure this stuff out on own, even while at mediocre public suburban elementary/middle schools; at middle-income family dinner tables (learning from parents' career mistakes/successes); and migrate to most relevant college opportunities, despite lame high schools...after all, any hungry kid can self-teach much via self-created "curriculum" in a Net/Kindle world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas