U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 10:33 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,436,975 times

Advertisements

I've been sorting through houses for sale in Texas and I don't think I've seen any with basements. Just curious, do Texas homes not have basements? I'm thinking there's probably a really good reason, but I'm missing it.

Thanks--Ellen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 11:13 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,658,119 times
The only place in Texas that you may see a basement is up in the panhandle and that is still going to be rare. Some houses say they have "walk out basements". This simply means the house was built on a small hill and the backside of the lot is lower than the front. But those are still few and far between more so in the Hill Country than anywhere else.

As for not having them, in North Texas, NO WAY!!! The soil in the majority of the North Central Texas region is mostly clay. Clay shrinks and swells way too much w/ the varying conditions. It also is very prone to cracks (right now w/ the severe drought we are in you could probably find cracks big enough to loose a child or animal in). In the few areas that do not have clay it is white rock. This chalky rock, sometimes there are veins of a harder white rock (hence White Rock Lake in Dallas and the White Rock Creek) that run thru the area are not ideal to dig into. It is done for pools and such but not good for basements.

In East Texas you will find more sandy soil. And in West Texas you will run across more desert. Neither of these are "ideal" for basements.

I've had relatives that lived in Kansas that had a basement and thought it was cool when I was a kid. But we don't have them here. We go up instead of down.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:29 PM

714 posts, read 1,778,716 times
Most of the Texas area is not good for basements, it is either the clay as mentioned, hard rock that you would have trouble digging up and haul away, and shallow groundwater that would encroach.

There is one house I heard of in my area (Plano TX) that has a basement, but the builder essentially built a swimming pool of gunite, built a house over that, then made the pool a basement.

A basement would definately be nice to be in during these 100 degrees summers.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:41 PM

1,067 posts, read 3,904,282 times
I wish we could have basesments too, it would be great! Great area to do a recreational room!

Old 07-15-2006, 09:33 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,436,975 times
Default well, that explains it...

Thanks. I'm in MD right now and most of the homes have basements that are used as storm shelters/rec rooms. Anyway, it seemed so logical I figured there had to be a really good reason that basements weren't available. Now I know

Old 08-18-2006, 11:46 PM

3,823 posts, read 10,000,638 times
Default Some Basements in San Antonio

I have noticed that Pulte Homes is building new houses in the Hill Country (just northwest of San Antonio) that offer finished basements on some models.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:51 PM

256 posts, read 944,554 times
The reason there are basements up north and not in the south is due to the frost line. If you have to dig out 4 to 5 feet of earth to get below the frost line then you might as well move a couple more feet and put in a basement. In central TX the frost line is about 3 inches.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:44 PM

3,823 posts, read 10,000,638 times
Default Frost Line

I don't think San Antonio has a frost line. It doesn't stay cold enough to make one! Anyway, aren't most basements in the Tornado Belt meant for protection?

Old 08-19-2006, 07:27 PM

122 posts, read 598,618 times
I was always under the impression that basements were fairly correlated with cold weather. The frost line reply is not something I've heard, but makes sense. It was typically mentioned to me as a way to take advantage of the insulation and warmth that the earth provides.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 44,375 times
Default Many Basements Located in the Dallas Area

It is now common for basements to be included in upscale homes in the Dallas area. I know of approximately 100 that have been installed in the past four years. The key is of course the type of drainage system that is included in the design. The soil conditions, whether rocky or clay only affect the cost of the installation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas