Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,093,809 times

Advertisements

Sunderpig: I can do the mind over matter thing to a certain extent, but not well enough to suit me! I've lived here all my life (well, not yet I haven't), and I'll never "get used to" the Texas summer. I don't mind the highs as much as I mind the 80+ degree nights.

It's going to warm up again this weekend and especially next week. We may not have seen the end of the 100-degree days here in DFW. We only need one more to tie the 1980 record of 69 days of 100 or above, and I'm hoping we don't get it.

Mind over matter: If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 06:54 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,262,366 times
the air is so dry that it kind of feels like fall, even though the temps are in the 90's. It's weird. We are still in desperate need of rain, but if the sunny days stay this dry then I won't mind them.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:58 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,906,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
the air is so dry that it kind of feels like fall, even though the temps are in the 90's. It's weird. We are still in desperate need of rain, but if the sunny days stay this dry then I won't mind them.
I think that even though the high temperature in SA (as an example) today was 96, it felt a few degrees cooler due to the 14% humidity and very low dew point. In a normal summer, this happens a lot in places like Lubbock and Amarillo. Unfortunately, those places haven't had one of those in two years (last year was humid, this June through August was very hot).

Old 09-08-2011, 04:10 PM

616 posts, read 851,177 times
Texas Hot is...so hot that the snakes wish they had feet.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:08 PM

679 posts, read 1,795,388 times
I do think the Hill Country has some of the best weather in all of Texas ( whatever that is worth ). We stay about 5-7 degrees cooler than SA and Austin and it does definitely cool down at night, usually it is between 68-72 in the early AM throughout the entire summer. We also don't get as cold as Dallas in the winter!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:21 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,231,208 times
You have to experience it to understand it and then you'll know.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:48 PM

4,054 posts, read 5,616,544 times
So true! If you haven't lived it, you'll never understand. I live in the true Hill Country (as far as I'm concerned, there has to be actual local hills to be Hill Country) and we don't get as hot as it gets in non-hilly places. But it's HOT still...and the drought just magnifies it. I've lived all my life in Texas (except for a few years overseas) and that fact doesn't mean it doesn't feel very hot, sweaty and miserable to me in the summer. I grew up without A/C, but I DO love the A/C! I've had 3 skin cancers removed...now, if I could do it over, I would have spent less time in the sun and taken more precautions. I now mostly wear a hat now when outside and no sleeveless clothes, but it's impossible for me to wear all that much clothes because I just burn up!

Old 09-12-2011, 05:31 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,231,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
So true! If you haven't lived it, you'll never understand. I live in the true Hill Country (as far as I'm concerned, there has to be actual local hills to be Hill Country) and we don't get as hot as it gets in non-hilly places. But it's HOT still...and the drought just magnifies it. I've lived all my life in Texas (except for a few years overseas) and that fact doesn't mean it doesn't feel very hot, sweaty and miserable to me in the summer. I grew up without A/C, but I DO love the A/C! I've had 3 skin cancers removed...now, if I could do it over, I would have spent less time in the sun and taken more precautions. I now mostly wear a hat now when outside and no sleeveless clothes, but it's impossible for me to wear all that much clothes because I just burn up!
I'm sorry to hear about your skin cancer, but this Texas heat will do it to the best of us. You can't get cool in this heat but when it gets chilly, it's so easy to get cozy and comfortable and spend many hours outside. I can't wait.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 PM

679 posts, read 1,795,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I live in the true Hill Country (as far as I'm concerned, there has to be actual local hills to be Hill Country) and we don't get as hot as it gets in non-hilly places.
I'm about as Hill Country as it gets, Lee! You're not the only one on the forum.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,104,048 times
What makes Texas hot so bad is the fact you may be looking at three to four months of it with little to no relief in sight. It wouldn't be so bad if we heated up for a few days, then "cooled" back down into the upper 80s or lower 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas