U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-07-2009, 08:42 AM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
8,968 posts, read 8,547,381 times
Reputation: 3285

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
TMC is the mother of all medical centers, but, I wouldn't start comparing it to downtowns such as Dallas, S.A. and even Ft. Worth.

San Antonio's downtown is much larger in area than the TMC. If i'm not mistaken it covers more square miles than any other Texas downtown.

Argumentative? No, because i'ts the truth.

Even though most of San Antonio's office space is outside downtown, along the business sectors of, I-410, 281, 1604, I-10, I-35, the infill of downtown S.A. is quite dense, regardless if it's a hotel, Bank, residential or Hosptial.
So comparing, a newly devloped medical district that covers a few blocks to a historic 300 year old urban core, is quite idiotic, and then to say it's medical district is the size of three Texas cities combined, simply delusional.

It's like saying San Antonio's downtown district is bigger than Dallas', Houston's and Austin's downtown districts combined because it has three times the hotel rooms in the downtown area.


And just a lil tid bit, S.A's downtown has five highrise Hospitals, (23 story NIX the biggest)and several to break ground soon at the new downtown University Medical Center. S.A.'s downtown is not all hotel.

Sorry if I'm being argumentative, but, I thought this was a forum.

dense downtownquote=dv1033;10639150]You are assuming that buildings with less height make it less big which couldn't be further from the truth. SA and Ft. Worth don't really have much office space for cities there size, plain and simple. Both cities have a sizable residential portion and hotel portion (more so SA).



You just like being argumentative. Pictures make for a pretty subjective comparison.

To the LA/Houston comparison:
I've been to LA several times and I think it does have a feel that is similar to Houston. Both cities have a pretty diverse population and have a chaotic feel to the them. I think both Houston and LA are cities that really don't have any other American city to compare them to besides each other.
[/quote]

Uh......what????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2009, 09:51 PM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
5,843 posts, read 2,601,117 times
Reputation: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
TMC is the mother of all medical centers, but, I wouldn't start comparing it to downtowns such as Dallas, S.A. and even Ft. Worth.

San Antonio's downtown is much larger in area than the TMC. If i'm not mistaken it covers more square miles than any other Texas downtown.
It's only being compared to it in size. Again, most downtowns are measured by sf. ft. of leasable office space.

Quote:
Argumentative? No, because i'ts the truth.
That was directed at another poster.

Quote:
Even though most of San Antonio's office space is outside downtown, along the business sectors of, I-410, 281, 1604, I-10, I-35, the infill of downtown S.A. is quite dense, regardless if it's a hotel, Bank, residential or Hosptial.
So comparing, a newly devloped medical district that covers a few blocks to a historic 300 year old urban core, is quite idiotic, and then to say it's medical district is the size of three Texas cities combined, simply delusional.
The TMC has been around for over 50 years, hardly a newly developed medical district. And it most certainly covers between 15-20 city blocks. AGAIN, the comparison is in sf. ft. of leasable office space. Maybe you need to goolge that so you can understand what it means. For whatever reason you are thinking the comparison is to the size of the downtown (acreage/ sq. miles).

Quote:
It's like saying San Antonio's downtown district is bigger than Dallas', Houston's and Austin's downtown districts combined because it has three times the hotel rooms in the downtown area.
Not really. It's not like this comparison is being made with obscure facts, such as most hotel rooms or residential units, or restaurants.

Quote:
And just a lil tid bit, S.A's downtown has five highrise Hospitals, (23 story NIX the biggest)and several to break ground soon at the new downtown University Medical Center. S.A.'s downtown is not all hotel.
At least 10 buildings are under construction or planned to be under construction in the TMC from now until 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 02:52 PM
 
2,368 posts, read 3,494,448 times
Reputation: 618
So the TMC will be Houstons new downtown, I take it? Move over downtown Big D!

Don't get me wrong, I like Houston a whole lot, I think it can compete with just about any city in the world in most every regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 02:56 PM
 
15,992 posts, read 25,842,387 times
Reputation: 5942
Sorry but Downtown Dallas is the nexus for a huge light rail system - see the DART Map:

Dart Rail Map

The Green line opens starting this weekend and the Orange line will be finished in a couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,424 posts, read 13,583,585 times
Reputation: 4819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Sorry but Downtown Dallas is the nexus for a huge light rail system - see the DART Map:

Dart Rail Map

The Green line opens starting this weekend and the Orange line will be finished in a couple of years.
If only Downtown Dallas could have life on the streets after 5 pm...and to think Fort Worth did it without rail.

DT Fort Worth > DT Dallas

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-08-2009 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 05:30 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
8,968 posts, read 8,547,381 times
Reputation: 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Sorry but Downtown Dallas is the nexus for a huge light rail system - see the DART Map:

Dart Rail Map

The Green line opens starting this weekend and the Orange line will be finished in a couple of years.
Oh, the Green Line opens this weekend? Nice. I thought it was 2010. But TMC won't be the "nexus" of an LRT system, but it will have the one line going through it, plus the Metro "Quickline" bus routes (think METRORapid in Los Angeles). Plus, the University/Orange Line isn't too far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 06:54 PM
mm4
 
314 posts, read 288,365 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Oh, the Green Line opens this weekend? Nice. I thought it was 2010. But TMC won't be the "nexus" of an LRT system, but it will have the one line going through it
Yeah we know the feeling. DART and TRE rail now cut through and adjacent the medical centers...

-- VA Medical Center
-- UT Southwestern Medical Center
-- Baylor Medical Center
-- Medical City Dallas
-- Presbyterian Medical Center

...each in vastly opposite parts of town.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
..., plus the Metro "Quickline" bus routes (think METRORapid in Los Angeles).
That's too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Plus, the University/Orange Line isn't too far away.
You'll let us know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
8,968 posts, read 8,547,381 times
Reputation: 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Yeah we know the feeling. DART and TRE rail now cut through and adjacent the medical centers...

-- VA Medical Center
-- UT Southwestern Medical Center
-- Baylor Medical Center
-- Medical City Dallas
-- Presbyterian Medical Center

...each in vastly opposite parts of town.
That's nice. Houston will be there by 2012-2013.

Quote:
That's too bad.
Not even.

Quote:
You'll let us know.
Whatever this means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 12:11 AM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
5,843 posts, read 2,601,117 times
Reputation: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Yeah we know the feeling. DART and TRE rail now cut through and adjacent the medical centers...

-- VA Medical Center
-- UT Southwestern Medical Center
-- Baylor Medical Center
-- Medical City Dallas
-- Presbyterian Medical Center

...each in vastly opposite parts of town.
Let me know how that ridership turns out.

Quote:
That's too bad.
Yep because buses are totally ineffective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 02:40 PM
 
38 posts, read 163,693 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It's bigger than both SA and Ft. Wort in leasable office space sq. ft., which would exclude residential, retail, and hotels. This is the most commonly used measurement of downtown sizes as when you include all the other stuff downtowns vary to widely. Again, since those photos you posted were taken, TMC has added at least 4 buildings (one being the 3rd tallest).


You are so right. I've read it actually has more office space than Ft Worth, SA, and Austin combined and will be the 10th largest business district in the entire US by 2012. That's TMC-Houston compared to entire cities in GDP and Office Space!!

JM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top