Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:04 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,072,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
No Im not and no it isnt even close. Ive worked in Houston many times. It is indeed international, but it isnt nearly as much so as LA.

jluke, youve made alot of statements about LA (about it being segregated, comparing Houston to it, etc.). How much time have you actually spent in the Los Angeles area?
I've never been to LA or CA at that. Just word of mouth. You hear lots of Californians move to Houston and are shocked by the amount of integration (this is not exaggeration either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:20 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,956,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've never been to LA or CA at that. Just word of mouth. You hear lots of Californians move to Houston and are shocked by the amount of integration (this is not exaggeration either).
The worldview of many Californians is shaped by the television they create.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 AM

686 posts, read 2,428,171 times
Quote:
Well, a lot of Californians are shocked we don't all have sprawling ranches, ride horses, and wear cowboy boots and hats all the time. Of course Hollywood doesn't exactly help dispel those kinds of stereotypes.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:59 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,618,278 times
Quote:
If you havent been, then what would give you cause to think that Houston is more diverse, international, or better/worse in any way than LA?

Honestly alot of people will come to a place like Houston and Dallas and be surprised with the diversity and International feel. But the reason isnt that we think its moreso than LA, its because (frankly) our standards for Texas are really low. Alot of people from California think Texas is a bible-thumping, gun toting, Bush loving, redneck-bumpkins paradise. As you know, this is obviously not true for a very large portion of the state, but that is the perception.

Up until 5 years ago, the only parts of Texas I had spent time in were Waco (moms hometown), Tyler/Longview (Dads hometown), and one semester at TCU for a specialty program they didnt offer at UCLA. Honestly, none of these did anything to convience me that Texas was international or diverse. I enjoyed visiting there, and I still like going to Waco and East Texas for a visit, but they arent places where you find the level of diversity you would in Dallas and especially not Houston.

Eventually I got a job where we had offices in Dallas and Houston and I was visiting those cities regularly. I was mistified at what I saw because it blew away the sterotypes I had grown up with. Whereas Waco, and East Texas had not really embrassed or contradicted the sterotypes I had. Houston has a very large Little Saigon and Chinatown and Dallas has a very large Koreatown and a couple of Little Saigons. Both cities are very gay friendly as well. I wasnt expecting any of that at all and most others from California would expect to find that in Texas either.

So when people come here from LA and are surprised at the internationalness and diversity, its not because we think its moreso than LA, becuase its not. Its because we werent expecting it in the first place.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:00 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,618,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
The worldview of many Californians is shaped by the television they create.
Yeah, because Texans dont have Sterotypes of Californians at all do they?

Old 08-28-2009, 03:46 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,138,762 times
Would argue major industries best define regions' cultures

Dall/Hou are both energy dominated; major cos. are generally based in suburban corridors in any town (Exxon in Irving and Hou's EC w/Conoco vs LA's Occidental Petroleum in CentCity or Disney in Burbank or Amgen in 1000 Oaks)

Just like LA's entertainment industry, energy industry is rather global with ~50% of revenues derived from outside US

And just like LA's Westside, HP/PrestonHollow or RiverOaks are heavily white w/rare Asians, reflecting socio-economics of high-income people in each town's major industries

LA's entertainment industry owners/top execs are more heavily Jewish than energy industry's owners/top execs, but both entertainment and energy industries have own unique cultures

Always laugh about silly claims of "international" and "diverse".....real question is who are wealthiest guys in any town....usually quite different demographics than those in lower socio-economic groups....it is what it is, no matter how global are industries like energy or tech or finance or entertainment

Old 08-28-2009, 05:37 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,599,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Yeah, because Texans dont have Sterotypes of Californians at all do they?
I hear that. Having been to LA myself I actually found the people I met very cordial, friendly and helpful if I needed directions or just wanted to chat. In addition, I find it laughable when anyone tries to distance Houston from Dallas by saying how much they are like LA. To quote John Bender of The Breakfast Club, "Not even close, Bud."

Old 08-28-2009, 06:23 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,737,143 times
I guess it will finally overtake Downtown Houston!

Old 08-28-2009, 07:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,877,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I guess it will finally overtake Downtown Houston!
Not!

TMC is Houston's 3rd largest district.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:19 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,956,736 times
Matt, these types of things are usually measured in building floor plate square footage. dv1033's original post portrays the Greater Houston Partnership's promotion of TMC as correlated with "terms of sq.ft."--but provides no citations for this. And nowhere in the Bloomberg article is such a contrivance made.

What we do find, however, from the Bloomberg report is that it sits on more than 1,000 acres (heck, so do many neighborhoods) and has around 72,600 workers, and nothing much else. It gives no building sq. footage or volumetric figures.

We know that "downtown Dallas"--however subjectively defined by promoters--is only a little smaller in area to dt Houston. We do know that downtown Houston defined comprises a 1,178-acre area. So, yes, in fact TMC is set to overtake downtown Houston in size sometime soon. (And, yes, it already overtook the combined downtown land area metrics of a combined San Antonio, El Paso and Fort Worth as the Partnership duly pitched.)

We also know that downtown Dallas holds 33 million SF of office space alone (not including residential, retail or hotel)--so the puff piece isn't talking about floor plate.

(And how are they defining "district"s down there anyway. I think Post Oak alone is bigger than downtown Houston.)

Last edited by mm4; 08-28-2009 at 10:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas