U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2009, 11:40 PM

791 posts, read 1,154,449 times

Advertisements

and here's the part that was left out, LOL

Texas Medical Center poised to overtake Houston's CBD by 2014.
Texas Medical Center poised to overtake Houston's CBD by 2014. - SkyscraperPage Forum
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 11:42 PM

5,843 posts, read 2,598,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Well dv1033, from the article you brought this subject up with.
Yes it does. Right here:
Obviously you don't understand the context in which I was speaking. The article isn't comparing acreage, but sq.ft. (which isn't stated but AGAIN is pretty obvious when comparing employment centers). Especially when the article says "It’s already larger than the combined downtown districts of Texas cities Fort Worth, San Antonio and El Paso, he said." It certainly isn't talking about acreage.

Quote:
Okay, point us to the portion of the article where it says that. In fact in your response you admit that…You later spent two days attempting to dig up sq. footage. Finally you find a graph that does show SF. It remains, however, that graph figures compare only to downtown Dallas office lease space, and nothing else.
I'm glad you kept track of how long it takes me to respond, I usually don't spend my weekends keeping up with internet forums; however, it took roughly 3 minutes to dig up that data.

Regardless, of how you measure downtown's office space, TMC is still going to pass downtown Dallas and downtown Houston in the foreseeable future. Also, the data excludes a fair amount of buildings in the TMC.

Quote:
And remember, just because D didn't clump their major medical centers into one mesocenter, doesn't mean they don't exist in multiple locales within the city. This is just one of 'em.
And the TMC isn't Houston's only medical center. I never was under the impression DFW didn't have any medical centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
as was said, Dallas is simply different where the main campuses of the other major hospitals are elsewhere in the city. Only Parkland and UT Southwestern build in this clump of buildings. If you added the main campus of Baylor, Med City, Presby, Methodist and John Peter Smith into that picture, you'd have a similar cluster to the TMS.
That maybe true but the TMC is on another level in terms of education, treatment, and research than Dallas's med centers.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:21 AM
mm4

314 posts, read 288,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Obviously you don't understand the context in which I was speaking. The article isn't comparing acreage, but sq.ft. (which isn't stated but AGAIN is pretty obvious when comparing employment centers).
See the part of this where it says
Quote:
Corporate Recruitment and Retention
The Downtown office market, the largest employment center
in North Texas, is made up of over 40 million square feet of
multi-tenant space. The workforce is 135,000 strong, and
in 2008, more than 40 companies relocated to Downtown,
adding approximately 6,500 jobs and 1.5 million square
feet.
What was the workforce figure for TMC again? 72,600? Strong?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:31 AM
mm4

Quote:
That maybe true but the TMC is on another level in terms of education, treatment, and research than Dallas's med centers.
Yeah we heard about DeBakey and Cooley in the 60s and 70s.

Have you been separating twins conjoined at the head down there?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:49 AM
mm4

Quote:
Especially when the article says "It’s already larger than the combined downtown districts of Texas cities Fort Worth, San Antonio and El Paso, he said." It certainly isn't talking about acreage.
Last I checked, "districts" are a function of land used, nothing else. Especially in the context of "acres" (the only measurement used in the Bloomberg article you presented to us).

Old 08-31-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
See the part of this where it says
What was the workforce figure for TMC again? 72,600? Strong?
Yes it is currently about 72,600 strong? And? I am not sure if you took this article personally of what because you are acting kind of hurt and retaliatory. Furthermore, Downtown Dallas having 40 million sq. ft. is only possible using the most extreme measures of the boundaries of downtown and counting every single type of building. What does multi-tenant space include?

Quote:
Yeah we heard about DeBakey and Cooley in the 60s and 70s.

Have you been separating twins conjoined at the head down there?
Yep, things are still the same since 60's and 70s.

Quote:
Last I checked, "districts" are a function of land used, nothing else. Especially in the context of "acres" (the only measurement used in the Bloomberg article you presented to us).
I don't think you have ever checked. I'm sorry if you are unable to comprehend things that aren't explicitly said. It's pretty obvious TMC will over take downtown Dallas. It was just an article, so relax and stopping taking personally.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
and here's the part that was left out, LOL

Texas Medical Center poised to overtake Houston's CBD by 2014.
Texas Medical Center poised to overtake Houston's CBD by 2014. - SkyscraperPage Forum
The ironic thing is I am TexasPlaya and posted that article on skyscraper and I did mention it will overtake downtown Houston recently.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:48 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,717,194 times

Old 08-31-2009, 09:16 PM

12,420 posts, read 13,574,176 times
Quote:
Dallas is simply different where the main campuses of the other major hospitals are elsewhere in the city. Only Parkland and UT Southwestern build in this clump of buildings. If you added the main campus of Baylor, Med City, Presby, Methodist and John Peter Smith into that picture, you'd have a similar cluster to the TMS.
Oh really? I was never aware Dallas had any tall medical towers to speak of, the tallest one there has to be no more than 20 floors up which is nothing in Houston. Meanwhile a 500 ft. Memorial Hermann tower just topped out on Houston's far west side complete with a sky bridge connecting to the newly renovated, upscale Memorial Mall just across the street.

Here stands the lonely & outdated Baylor medical center in Dallas.

Check out all those hideous looking parking lots!

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-31-2009 at 09:51 PM..

Old 08-31-2009, 09:42 PM
mm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Oh really? I was never aware Dallas had any tall medical towers to speak of, the tallest one there has to be no more than 12 floors up. Meanwhile in Houston a 500 ft. Memorial Hermann tower just topped out on Houston's far west side complete with a sky bridge connecting to the newly renovated, upscale Memorial Mall just across the street.
Well this one's 18 floors; the building's about 250 ft. It's just another medical center in Dallas--as there are many, not just one mesocenter.

I'm trying to figure out why anybody needs a 500 ft. tall building. Do they do medicine there? (For that matter, how much of its height is decorative?) Why don't you just make two 250 ft. ones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas