Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 01:39 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Come off it, DFW is one if the least, if not THE least centralized metro in the country. No where else are the amenities so spread out. All other major metros have the best ethnic food in the core. All other major metros have major colleges in the core. All others have the best arts in the core. All others have the airports as a satellite of the main city in DFW it seems the cities are satellites of the airport.

In Houston, the amenities are in the main city and the burbs surround it. That is definition of centralized.

San Antonio, Austin, Else Paso, etc are all more centralized than DFW.
Yes we are one metro.... but when you are in Dallas, you are in Dallas. DTD is the CENTER of the city of Dallas....same for Ft.Worth. Whats so hard to understand about that???...DFW is not one city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 02:39 PM

420 posts, read 705,805 times
Quote:
Come off it, DFW is one if the least, if not THE least centralized metro in the country. No where else are the amenities so spread out. All other major metros have the best ethnic food in the core. All other major metros have major colleges in the core. All others have the best arts in the core. All others have the airports as a satellite of the main city in DFW it seems the cities are satellites of the airport.

In Houston, the amenities are in the main city and the burbs surround it. That is definition of centralized.

What are you even talking about? I must have been on vacation when they relocated SMU, TCU, the cultural district, and the arts district out of the hearts of Dallas and Ft. Worth to the suburbs. I didn't realize you couldn't eat ethnic food inside of Loop 12.

DFW is hardly unique in having multiple large municipalities in a region with spread out amenities. Los Angeles and the Bay Area both come to mind. It doesn't mean the cores of the cities aren't still there and relevant.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:51 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
What are you even talking about? I must have been on vacation when they relocated SMU, TCU, the cultural district, and the arts district out of the hearts of Dallas and Ft. Worth to the suburbs. I didn't realize you couldn't eat ethnic food inside of Loop 12.

DFW is hardly unique in having multiple large municipalities in a region with spread out amenities. Los Angeles and the Bay Area both come to mind. It doesn't mean the cores of the cities aren't still there and relevant.
Proves my point.
The amenities are far from centralized.

In Houston they are centered in Houston. Saying there are other metros having municipalities with spread out amenities doesn't help your attempt to make Dallas seem more condensed with amenities.

Anyone with a quarter a brain will tell you Houston is more centered, but Dallas Homers always try to say the opposite

Old 06-10-2013, 03:19 PM

420 posts, read 705,805 times
Quote:
Proves my point.
The amenities are far from centralized.

In Houston they are centered in Houston. Saying there are other metros having municipalities with spread out amenities doesn't help your attempt to make Dallas seem more condensed with amenities.

Anyone with a quarter a brain will tell you Houston is more centered, but Dallas Homers always try to say the opposite

Wow. For starters, nobody has said that DFW is more centralized. Let's recap for everybody not paying attention

I said (partial quote)...

Quote:

Houston is bigger than Dallas. Houston (the municipality) has more people and jobs. It wouldn't surprise me if TMC had more office space than Dallas's downtown, nor would it bother me. It makes sense considering that more Houston jobs are in the core versus Dallas where jobs are more spread out between the city and the region as a whole.

To which Dallasboi replied....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This!!^^^^^^^ Is All I've been saying

TexasTallest chimed in, presumably referencing the "Most Pedestrian-Friendly neighborhood in Texas" thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
but i thought Dallas was the more centralized, pedestrian friendly city?

Dallasboi again....

Quote:
Overall...yes it is...But my comment that you highlighted has absolutely nothing to do with what you wrote in response to it...am i missing something?

Then you chimed in with this non sequitur...

Quote:

And then this again...

Quote:
Yes we are one metro.... but when you are in Dallas, you are in Dallas. DTD is the CENTER of the city of Dallas....same for Ft.Worth. Whats so hard to understand about that???...DFW is not one city.
Quote:

Congrats, my friend, because you are literally arguing with yourself about whether or not Houston is more centralized. Nobody else has said otherwise. The only thing Dallasboi and I have argued is that being decentralized does not mean you can't have very pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods in your core with lots of amenities just because the region as a whole functions under multiple, large municipalities with their own amenities.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:32 PM

Let me replay it slow fir you to understand

HE WAS ASKED
I THOUGHT DALLAS WAS MORE CENTRALIZED.

HE REPLIED
YES, OVERALL IT IS.

Dont tell me i am not paying attention. Either you are not paying attention or are having problems processing

Old 06-10-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Let me replay it slow fir you to understand

HE WAS ASKED
I THOUGHT DALLAS WAS MORE CENTRALIZED.

HE REPLIED
YES, OVERALL IT IS.

Dont tell me i am not paying attention. Either you are not paying attention or are having problems processing
You lost this one bud.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
You lost this one bud.
Sorry but yall did.
Dallas is more spread out.
even Ray Charles could tell you that

Old 06-10-2013, 03:52 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Quote:
Sorry but yall did.
Dallas is more spread out.
even Ray Charles could tell you that
Yes, compared to New York. Houston, no.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:

The Bay and Twin Cities are more like DFW (though the core cities are closer in those areas). LA is more like a Chicago. It's the unquestioned only big city in the area, even if it has large suburbs. DFW is kinda unique in how their are two major cities not too far apart in size, plus each having their own suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Yes, compared to New York. Houston, no.
No dfw is definitely more spread out than Houston. check your facts bud.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:46 PM

Tell us how Houston is less spread out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas