Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times

Advertisements

Since we're in the Texas forum, try to confine the comparisons to Texas cities. General US and City vs. City are the places at C-D to make comparisons between Texas cities and places in other states. It's fairer to the folks in (and supporting) those other states to discuss comparisons with their states in forums they're more likely to visit.

Last edited by Bo; 09-04-2009 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 05:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Where do I keep comparing them? Your the one always bringing up LA in every topic. Personally I could careless about the two being alike and your the one always bragging about how better SoCal is than Texas which is usually always irrelevant to the OT. Your right, Houston isn't LA and never will be. We trying to be Houston; not nothing else.

I only compare the two when it's brought up; you getting me confused with someone else buddy.
Youre right, I have no issue with you.

Im not the one however, who keeps comparing Houston to LA (and maybe its not you, but someone else who keeps bringing it up). I only chime in when LA is already brought into the arena. And then, I wont let the topic die. I would never compare Houston and LA because I dont think theyre alike.

Also tend to defend Dallas alot more because I guess Ive always been for the underdog. And Dallas is definately the underdog on this forum when compared to Houston. Alot more people rush to defend Houston, not as many do with Dallas. Plus I live here now.

I like Houston. I think its a neat city. Youre absolutley right in that some things Houston does better, some things Dallas does better. Its just typically when someone tries to name something Dallas does better (take shopping or light rail for example), a dozen Houstonians immediately say its wrong. Thats what I take issue with and it makes me defend it more.

I feel Dallas is searching for something that it can identify with thats positive. Houston is more international and diverse, Atlanta is more well known for its night lfie (I mention these two because thats typically the cities its compared with). Dallas has good night life, is international and diverse just not on a big enough scale to be noticed. Maybe thats where some people feel the attitude gets in.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
It looks like a downtown of a major city, but not as big as San Antonio's in area. San Antonio also has a pretty dense downtown. Too say it's as big as San Antonio, El Paso and Ft. Worth combined, is a downright stupid comment! Doesn't surprise me to hear something coming from a Houstonian, lol. Sounds like something my cousin from Houston would say. I like the way it's suppose to be bigger than downtown Dallas soon, but, you don't hear how it's going to bigger than downtown Houston, hmmm...
San Antonio's downtown area covers probably the same area as Houston's, w/o as many scrapers of course.
The Texas Med Center is the largest in the world, it is amazing, 74,000 employees, but come on now.
San Antonio's medical center, has 72 instituions and close to 40,000 employees, second only to Houston's, in Texas.

I wouldn't quite say this is bigger than S.A. or Ft Worth, let alone three Texas cities combined.

S.A.

FT Worth

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 09-04-2009 at 11:08 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 10:52 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
It's bigger than both SA and Ft. Wort in leasable office space sq. ft., which would exclude residential, retail, and hotels. This is the most commonly used measurement of downtown sizes as when you include all the other stuff downtowns vary to widely. Again, since those photos you posted were taken, TMC has added at least 4 buildings (one being the 3rd tallest).

Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 PM

Medical office space. Mosley says downtown districts, nothing about office space. So he is further from the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It's bigger than both SA and Ft. Wort in leasable office space sq. ft., which would exclude residential, retail, and hotels. This is the most commonly used measurement of downtown sizes as when you include all the other stuff downtowns vary to widely. Again, since those photos you posted were taken, TMC has added at least 4 buildings (one being the 3rd tallest).

Old 09-04-2009, 11:44 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Medical office space. Mosley says downtown districts, nothing about office space. So he is further from the truth.
Yes medical office space. Again, leasable office space is the most common measurement of downtown or business centers. I understand it isn't explicitly stated, but the only way TMC is bigger than both SA's and Ft. Worth's is in terms of leasble office space.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:25 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I have spent alot of time in Houston. My Dad lives in Houston and we have an office there which I work at (Dad lives in Sugarland, my stepbrother goes to Fort Bend Baptist Academy, our office is off Hilcroft). Ive been there somewhere between 12-15 times.

Houston isnt like LA. I got jluke to admit he had never been there, how much time have you spent there Matt, what about you Angel? Do the two of you really have a clue what youre talking about?

Youre also kidding yourself Matt if you think this isnt a two way street where Houstonians and Dallasites do this to each other. But hey, whatever makes you sleep at night.

Matt (and Ill come out and say it), youre being a hypocrite in every since of the word. I see you trash Dallas all the time, gerneralizing like everyone who lives up here is the same, and doing it to make Houston look good (and appeantly for no other reason).

Frankly I would much rather listen to the three of you trash Dallas all day long than sit there and think Houston is just like LA.

You think you know what youre talking about, but in reality, youre clueless about LA. Its all so you can make Houston look better. I read a funny post from jluke where he compared LA to Dallas, but just the negative things about LA (the traffic, the percieved "crime", etc.), then turning around and comparing all the good things about LA to Houston (diversity, internationalness, etc.). This all from someone who has never been!

Also, you guys want to talk about how "dangerous" and violent LA is? LA is wayyy safer than Houston or Dallas. Our murder and violent crime rate is rock bottom. Can we say that about these two Texas cities?

Also for the record I dont really have a preference of Dallas or Houston as cities. As reigions, I prefer North Texas. The real reason were here is because I lost my job and my wife liked Dallas better. If my department hadnt been laid off, no way I would be here. I like Texas, but no place is better to me than SoCal.

I digress. Think whatever you want.
Man, what the hell? First of all, I have spent plenty of time in LA. Been going there to visit family since around the second grade, and have went five times in the last three years. Each time for at least a week. The last time being just me and my friends. Don't know why you are trying to say Houston is nothing like LA. I have friends down here at Prairie View from California (most from LA), and they have said they love Houston because it reminds them of home, just a smaller version. You have your opinion. And they have their own. And they aren't the first people that I've heard that from.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:28 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
It looks like a downtown of a major city, but not as big as San Antonio's in area. San Antonio also has a pretty dense downtown. Too say it's as big as San Antonio, El Paso and Ft. Worth combined, is a downright stupid comment! Doesn't surprise me to hear something coming from a Houstonian, lol. Sounds like something my cousin from Houston would say. I like the way it's suppose to be bigger than downtown Dallas soon, but, you don't hear how it's going to bigger than downtown Houston, hmmm...
San Antonio's downtown area covers probably the same area as Houston's, w/o as many scrapers of course.
The Texas Med Center is the largest in the world, it is amazing, 74,000 employees, but come on now.
San Antonio's medical center, has 72 instituions and close to 40,000 employees, second only to Houston's, in Texas.
You should probably re-read the thread, because the poster who made the thread even said that.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
You should probably re-read the thread, because the poster who made the thread even said that.

I read the link, and, thats what i'm responding about.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:32 PM

24 posts, read 98,963 times
Quote:

I wouldn't quite say this is bigger than S.A. or Ft Worth, let alone three Texas cities combined.

S.A.

FT Worth
Those photos are obsolete. The Texas Medical Center has buildings being constructed almost like its Dubai.

Here are more recent pics.

Flickr Photolitherland

Flickr J-a-x

FLickr Againtothefuture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas