Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:50 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times

Advertisements

Normally I find hsw's posts to be rather ridiculous. In this case, however, I fail to see where hsw inflicts any violence upon others (which you seem to indicate in your post). Where does he cause any violence against others in this post? A bit stumped over here, lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
You know it is possible to state your political opinion without violence against others. The fact that you choose not to do so reveals a lot about your character and your ethos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 04:12 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Odessan in Austin View Post
Looks like a lot of people on this thread will be cheering for Tom Delay on Dancing With the Stars. Another village idiot leaves the confines of the state just to embarrass Texas.
Quote:
Who’s bitter, I am laughing out loud at this thread and the responses. I am also staying on topic giving my thoughts to the OP's original question. The OP wanted to know why Hollywood always portrays Texans as stupid. Do you think maybe that is the way they perceive Texans based on the public figures that the state has elected in the past, or maybe after conversing with a few or for that matter maybe even a lot of Texans they walked away with that impression, or maybe after watching the religious community in Texas try to cram their agenda down everyone else’s throats they got that impression. Ya think. I think.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
FYI, I can not STAND Tom DeLay. Believe it or not a friend from church that actually worked for him can not stand him either and was actually gagging at the thought of him being on that show. Which I don't even watch.

Having visions of "My Cousin Vinny".
"Valley Girl"
"90210"
"Real Housewives of New Jersey"
"Real Housewives of Orange County"

There are PLENTY of stereotypes that are negative on other states as well. We don't actually corner the market in that area. However, it is a sad reflection of peoples real thoughts about others IF they actually BELIEVE these stereotypes. Like the blonde bimbo at Universal Studios back in the early 80's that asked us if we knew JR after finding out we were from Dallas. I had to laugh out loud when I said, "why yes, he is our neighbor" and SHE BELIEVED IT! Then the college guys from S. California that asked if we rode horses to school People SERIOUSLY believe this crap and they are from states that many believe to be better on the education front. LOL!!! Funny indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Really? Personally I don't think all Texans are portrayed all that horribly, and besides, a buttload of states have elected ridiculous people to prominent positions. I think you are in fact the one who's focusing on the negatives allowing them to obscure your own vision. You seem to think everywhere else in the world but Texas is full of roses and puppydogs, but really you are way off base. Dude, Where's My Car (a movie about absolute morons) was set in California. The Heaven's Gate eunuchs were from California. Senator McCarthy was from Wisconsin. Marion Berry is from DC. James Traficant is from Ohio.

We ain't exactly got a monopoly on stupid or corrupt or dangerously zealous.

And, Waking Life, a movie about Texans set obviously in Texas depicts Texans as rather intelligent people. Same with Reality Bites. Same with a score of others.

Again, visions of "My Cousin Vinny" as well as "The Sopranos".

There are stupid people all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Normally I find hsw's posts to be rather ridiculous. In this case, however, I fail to see where hsw inflicts any violence upon others (which you seem to indicate in your post). Where does he cause any violence against others in this post? A bit stumped over here, lol....
I was confused on that one as well. I reread hsw's post a couple of times and still missed even the slightest hint of violence. Was it edited soon after it was posted???

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
I believe you're wrong sir I believe it is possible to be both liberal and Texan.
It is also possible to be a Texan that is NOT affiliated w/ EITHER political party (they are ALL crooks and I try to vote for the best person for the job), OPEN MINDED to others way of life, friendly, understands other religions, accepts those that don't believe in God AND a Christian (Baptist affiliation). There are PLENTY of us out here. One just has to put down the prejuidices to actually get to see the real person. Having a brick wall up around ones self and being closed minded and upfront confrontational before getting to know someone in a friendly manner isn't actually going to bring to light the best of anyone.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:16 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Really? Personally I don't think all Texans are portrayed all that horribly, and besides, a buttload of states have elected ridiculous people to prominent positions. I think you are in fact the one who's focusing on the negatives allowing them to obscure your own vision. You seem to think everywhere else in the world but Texas is full of roses and puppydogs, but really you are way off base. Dude, Where's My Car (a movie about absolute morons) was set in California. The Heaven's Gate eunuchs were from California. Senator McCarthy was from Wisconsin. Marion Berry is from DC. James Traficant is from Ohio.

We ain't exactly got a monopoly on stupid or corrupt or dangerously zealous.

And, Waking Life, a movie about Texans set obviously in Texas depicts Texans as rather intelligent people. Same with Reality Bites. Same with a score of others.
Karl Rove-Denver Colorado.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:23 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
Heh...

I watched tv the other night, some show on TNT called The Closer. Some detective from Texas joined the regular cast cops, from Los Angeles I think, and he showed up complete with a cowboy hat and boots. If they don't show us as racist bumpkins, then they'll depict us as poorly dressed provincials. That's just the way it is.
I don't understand what the problem is...

I wear those things to job interviews and out in public and get complimented. It's only bad if you don't remove your hat inside.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Oh well, if you get ganged upon by the “Texas Welcome Home Committee”, you do. They are probably not a very well travelled group that has had a chance to visit other states in other regions of America to hear what America thinks of Texas. And the “Texas Welcome Home Committee” blames Hollywood. Look at all of the jokes that have represented Texas on a nation basis. Just a few come to mind:

George H Bush

George W Bush

Tom Delay

Texas A&M University
Both Bushes are carpetbagging Yankees. Delay spent his formative years in Venezuela and his college years at Baylor, where he was a drunk and a vandal.

I can't see what's wrong with A&M. They're cultish, a little creepy, but generally good people.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:25 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Both Bushes are carpetbagging Yankees. Delay spent his formative years in Venezuela and his college years at Baylor, where he was a drunk and a vandal.

I can't see what's wrong with A&M. They're cultish, a little creepy, but generally good people.

A&M is garbage. That is all.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:24 PM

80 posts, read 108,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
A&M is not garbage, just a true reflection of most of Texas.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Save it for Thanksgiving. We have OU to hate til then.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:22 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Quote:
A&M is not garbage, just a true reflection of most of Texas.
So, are most Texans college kids? Where do you come up with this stuff? You're like a Texas version of Woody Allen with a chip on your shoulder.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:49 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
The UT v. A&M hatred is so ridiculou,s and old. Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas