Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:03 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,996 times

Advertisements

The University of North Texas in Denton is NOT a small school. What do you define as small -- anything smaller than UT-Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 10:56 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The University of North Texas in Denton is NOT a small school.
You're right. I should have checked on current enrollment since it's been at least 15 years since I was actually in Denton. The area has grown in general, so it's only logical the school would have too. It was 4th in Texas by enrollment in 2008.

Now I'm wondering how much Tex Women's has grown since I was there. I was accepted into the MFA program in 1990 but chose to go elsewhere (UTSA).

Top 10 as of Fall 2008[1] Ranking University Location Enrollment
1 The University of Texas at Austin Austin 50,006
2 Texas A&M University College Station 48,126
3 University of Houston Houston 36,104[2]
4 University of North Texas Denton 34,795
5 Texas State University–San Marcos San Marcos 29,125
6 The University of Texas at San Antonio San Antonio 28,585
7 Texas Tech University Lubbock 28,422
8 The University of Texas at Arlington Arlington 25,070
9 The University of Texas at El Paso El Paso 20,458
10 University of Texas–Pan American Edinburg 17,577

Old 09-06-2009, 11:08 AM

384 posts, read 1,413,242 times
UNT is projected to have 45,000 enrollment in 2015 and climb to over 50k after that. It hasn't reached cap while others schools on that list have. Part of the reason for this projection is because according to the last census Denton is the 10th fastest growing city in the country. Denton has plenty of room to expand unlike other areas. Now whether this is bad or good depends on what side of the coin you enjoy.

http://media.www.ntdaily.com/media/storage/paper877/news/2008/07/17/News/Denton.Makes.Top.10.Growing.Cities-3391904.shtml (broken link)

Last edited by jabbit; 09-06-2009 at 11:19 AM..

Old 09-06-2009, 12:17 PM

Frankly, when I was in graduate school at TCU, 1976-80, I didn't consider UNT (which was at that time NTSU) a small school. By contrast, I'd consider TCU to be a small school, either at the upper limits of small or the lower limits of medium-sized. NTSU in those days had an enrollment of about 19,000. ISTM that any university of around 20K qualifies as large; schools like UT-Austin are huge, rather than merely large.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:41 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,833 times
So trying to get this thread back on track - is Denton a good retirement choice or not? That was the crux of my suggestion - that the Weatherford and Denton areas aren't mentioned in the same sentence with "retirement" communities. Should they be???

Old 09-06-2009, 04:58 PM

My mother and aunt both retired to Denton a number of years ago (they are both deceased now). They seemed to like it, but I don't believe really took advantage of what's there. Shopping was very close by where they lived -- about a 5 minute drive. The place can be very busy, especially around the leg of I-35 that goes to Lewisville and Dallas. There are some very nice, established, quite wooded neighborhoods there. In fact, Denton has some naturally prettier areas than anything in Fort Worth or Dallas IMO. However, it's no longer a sleepy small town by any means, but rather the northern tip of the Metroplex. I think it would be a good retirement venue for someone who wanted to be in a small to medium sized CITY and in close proximity to two much larger cities with their sprawling suburbs. However, for someone who wants a less urbanised life, I wouldn't recommend Denton.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTexas View Post
Lubbock is really too windy as well, but not quite as cold, however both places smell like cow poop most of the time (unless you live far away from the cow ranches).
Not a good description of Lubbock--the feedlot is east of town where the wind rarely comes from (the prevailing wind comes out of the south). There are very few cattle ranches near Lubbock (the countryside is mostly cotton fields).

Old 03-20-2010, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 15,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestemor View Post
My husband and I are looking at Texas as a place to retire in. Want to avoid the most hot and humid areas. Living a reasonable distance (hour or less) from full medical facilities is important, and don't want to live right in the city--used to having a lot of space around us. Husband loves fishing. Suggestions?
HORSESHOE BAY, TX is a GREAT place to retire.

1.) Steady water level lake (Lake LBJ)
2.) Wealthy Community who's prop taxes support the area even if you build a more modest home
3.) CLose to TWO MAJOR cities Austin and San Antonio
4.) 8 miles from Marble Falls a very nice town
5.) New hospital right in HorseShoe, Bay
6.) Has it's own airport
7.) Paradise on earth
8.) Low crime
9.) Two country clubs membership optional
10.) One yacht club membership optional
11.) Five star Marriott
12.) Reasonable property taxes and POA/HOA fees

I love the area so much I bought not one but two vacant lots. I am hoping my son or daughter will buy one so they can visit with my future grandchildren. If that don't work I will sell the elevated lot with the lake view.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:51 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,912 times
Quote:
Have visited Fredricksburg, Kerrville, and Harper--found weather to be acceptable. Have also been to Houston and then south to Wallisville and that's just too humid. This is one reason we ruled out AR. Quality of medical care is a top consideration but we just can't tolerate living right in a city with neighbors 100 feet away. We are willing to drive to lakes and rivers if we have to. We live in NM and love the dry air but it's a 1.5 hour drive to civilization and 3 hours to Albuquerque's medical facilities.

If you like Fredericksburg and Kerrville one place to check out is Boerne it's kinda like Fredericksburg but closer to San Antonio and Canyon Lake isn't to far

Boerne - Escape to the charming Texas Hill Country and shop along main street at art galleries, antique and speciality stores or stay in historic hotels

Boerne, Texas Chamber of Commerce

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canyon_Lake_(Texas)

Old 03-20-2010, 06:09 PM

40 posts, read 116,548 times
Quote:
My husband and I are looking at Texas as a place to retire in. Want to avoid the most hot and humid areas. Living a reasonable distance (hour or less) from full medical facilities is important, and don't want to live right in the city--used to having a lot of space around us. Husband loves fishing. Suggestions?
I purchased 5 acres up in Spring Branch. Canyon Lake is right there, for fishing. The area is very upscale. I have yet to build but will eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas