U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:23 AM

212 posts, read 885,146 times
I went to SHSU (the university) and taught in Huntsville (lived there for 3 years). The prison had no impact on my life, except you see lots of people in grey uniforms (prison guards). I would have forgot that there was a prison there, if the signs in town did not point the way to the different "units" and the grey uniforms all over town. Huntsville is a nice town, nice churches, school oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 11:22 AM

76 posts, read 265,862 times
Huntsville will be a better choice. I've spent a lot of time in both and I can honestly say that C.S. is filled with a lot of drunk redneck students failing out of A&M.

Huntsville is more low-key, quieter, and easier to live in. Plus, you're a lot closer to Houston/Woodlands.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:49 PM

6 posts, read 30,368 times
Default Specialty Grocers in College Station, Texas

I posted this question yesterday, but cannot find it, so I'm taking this means of asking a question about CS, Texas. I'm thinking of moving to this area to be near my son and his family. I'll be leaving my favorite grocer, Trader Joe's, and am wondering if there is a comparable store in College Station. I also shop for tooth paste, cookies, etc. at the .99cent stores in L.A. I shop at Trader Joe's at least once weekly, so any advice about similar stores will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:22 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,521,351 times
having prisons there, whether one or several, has no impact.....i can tell you that as a former prison nurse myself, having lived in several towns where most everyone and their brother worked at the prison.
just dont pick up any hitch-hikers wearing all white he he

Old 04-11-2007, 08:56 PM

1,896 posts, read 4,540,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix3166 View Post
I posted this question yesterday, but cannot find it, so I'm taking this means of asking a question about CS, Texas. I'm thinking of moving to this area to be near my son and his family. I'll be leaving my favorite grocer, Trader Joe's, and am wondering if there is a comparable store in College Station. I also shop for tooth paste, cookies, etc. at the .99cent stores in L.A. I shop at Trader Joe's at least once weekly, so any advice about similar stores will be greatly appreciated.
Here you go:

Trader Joe type store in College Station, Texas

All you have to do is click on your name, then select Profile, and then Find All Posts.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 PM

17 posts, read 58,022 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
I've spent a lot of time in both and I can honestly say that C.S. is filled with a lot of drunk redneck students failing out of A&M.

Ooof! That hurt. But then again, the truth does tend to hurt quite a bit.

I always thought it was a shame that A&M and SHSU couldn't trade places. Sam Houston got the better end of the land deal for their university. The pine trees and lakes nearby are great and very scenic The Brazos Valley on the other hand....uuugh. And at least Huntsville is closer to the greater Houston area.

But for amenities and other things, B/CS beats out Huntsville handsdown. (Although to be perfectly honest, there are MUCH better choices in Texas than either town. )

I lived in College Station for many years. It was a great place to be as a student, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy now.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:03 PM

61 posts, read 286,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
Huntsville will be a better choice. I've spent a lot of time in both and I can honestly say that C.S. is filled with a lot of drunk redneck students failing out of A&M.

Huntsville is more low-key, quieter, and easier to live in. Plus, you're a lot closer to Houston/Woodlands.
Although I have little experience in CS, I agree with the above statement. Huntsville is a quieter town and is closer to Woodlands/Houston for any Big City amenities that may not be available in the college towns.

Huntsville prisons aren't a big deal either, few escapes occur, and good people work there. Renting may be tight there, but I've heard this is a small boom in building going on there because SHSU is adding classroom and dorms, and with more students, the area needs more apartments.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,723 times
i have lived her for 9 years. i worked for the prison system the whole time. i went to SHSU briefly. and now i have a family. the prisons are not anything negative. tell u the truth the few escapes that have occurred, staying in huntsville is the last thing those escapees try to do. thats the good thing about the concentration of the units. so many people are guards, everyone knows each other. i feel pretty safe because of that. the schools have been good for my young boys. i have had a lot of fun, from fishing, hunting, to games, bbq etc. now i will tell that we have some minor, minor probs and unfortunately its usually from some of the people that are attracted to SHSU from other areas. i have had some probs myself with those peole that are from other cities. but the cops dont play, everyone knows each other, and for the most part a good place to live. the reason i am relocating is because i am changing my career and it taking me to the plants down in houston.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,714 times
It has 13 prisons,but the gaurds arent letting the inmates go anywhere. Both Huntsville and Bryan-College station are nice.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:45 AM

2,234 posts, read 6,416,555 times
My nephew goes to SHSU and is on their roping team. He brought his horses and dog with him to college!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas