Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:13 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Padre Island gets quite wide in areas and has some very definitely 'inland' looking areas on it. This could be on the island somewhere, but I don't really know if it is or not. The ground is just a little too solid looking and there are a few too many tall plants, but you never know...

This is the photo gallery from the NAtional Park Service, and it has some neat pictures, too...
http://www.nps.gov/pais/photosmultim...otogallery.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 02:26 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Where does it look like this?

I love how the landscape is mixed with prickly pear, yucca (and maybe palmettos?) as well as other dune-like vegetation.
That was taken at the LAGUNA ATASCOSA Wildlife Refuge which is near South Padre Island. More info: http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/texas/laguna.html (broken link)

According to the docents at the little museum there, Laguna Atascosa is probably the closest you'll get to what it used to look like in South Texas when the Spanish explorers came in the 1500s. The area has been protected since the 1940s when it was used as a gunnery range for WWII pilots. The south Texas landscape is a unique blending of temperate, subtropical, coastal, and desert habitats. Mexican plants and wildlife are at the northernmost edge of their range, while migrating waterfowl and sandhill cranes fly down for the mild winters. This combination makes Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge world famous for its birds, and home to a mix of wildlife found nowhere else.

Now, the area is beautiful, but there are months of the year where the water gets really muddy/dark and almost black due to high winds causing strong under water currents that push the mud/clay around in the water. Also, on certain months, there is tons of seaweed thrown all over the beach and it's not a pretty sight.

Last edited by doss1; 05-01-2007 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-01-2007, 03:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
That was taken at the LAGUNA ATASCOSA Wildlife Refuge which is near South Padre Island. More info: http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/texas/laguna.html (broken link)

According to the docents at the little museum there, Laguna Atascosa is probably the closest you'll get to what it used to look like in South Texas when the Spanish explorers came in the 1500s. The area has been protected since the 1940s when it was used as a gunnery range for WWII pilots. The south Texas landscape is a unique blending of temperate, subtropical, coastal, and desert habitats. Mexican plants and wildlife are at the northernmost edge of their range, while migrating waterfowl and sandhill cranes fly down for the mild winters. This combination makes Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge world famous for its birds, and home to a mix of wildlife found nowhere else.

Now, the area is beautiful, but there are months of the year where the water gets really muddy/dark and almost black due to high winds causing strong under water currents that push the mud/clay around in the water. Also, on certain months, there is tons of seaweed thrown all over the beach and it's not a pretty sight.
Neat, thanks for the link!

What water goes almost black? The salt water between SPI and the mainland?

Old 05-01-2007, 04:09 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
No, it's not "black". Sorry for using that word, but more murky/brown like Galveston area. It's just not the blue/green water that you see in the pictures above. It's not consistent like Florida. Personally, I prefer SPI 10000x over California/Florida because of less crowds.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:43 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,311 times
Incredible!!! Those photos are very, very beautiful…

I look for to be there in August!!!!!!!
Is the water hot?

Old 05-02-2007, 10:01 AM

62 posts, read 458,889 times
In August, the water temperature in the Gulf will top out at 80 to 85 degrees - very comfortable! I just went for my first swim of the year yesterday and the water is 75 degrees right now.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:49 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb5745 View Post
In August, the water temperature in the Gulf will top out at 80 to 85 degrees - very comfortable! I just went for my first swim of the year yesterday and the water is 75 degrees right now.
80-85 F is equal to 27-30 Celcius. 75 F is equal to 24 C.

(in case you were wondering )

Old 05-02-2007, 10:50 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,311 times
It's fantastic! I have already loved this place!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:59 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
I will tell you which is better - SC coast Visit Hilton Head Island or the beaches of Charleston. No comparison.
SPI is the best of the TX coast but pales in comparison to the beaches on the Atlantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
absolutely GORGEOUS pictures.........wow
for those who put down SPI and Padre,,,,,,,,they have NO clue-go to Coastal GA or South Carolina and you tell me which is better-Texas Gulf Coast by far!
plus its dog friendly and 4x4 friendly here in Texas!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:54 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Awesome Pictures.. makes me almost want to put up with the border to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas