Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:35 PM

108 posts, read 438,148 times

Advertisements

It offends me as a 9th generation Texan that we have allowed the English culture and language to invade our state! We were founded as part of Spain and later Mexico, Mexicans have been here the longest and will soon again he the majority.

If you come here, you should learn Spanish or get out! It's our official language. I mean look at our city names!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:00 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Shouldn't Mexico have Mayan or Toltec as the required languages? Spanish speakers were intruders who committed genocide against the native populations of Mexico and imposed their foreign language and religion on the peoples making up that area. Either learn Mayan or get out of Mexico!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:49 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy2009 View Post
It offends me as a 9th generation Texan that we have allowed the English culture and language to invade our state! We were founded as part of Spain and later Mexico, Mexicans have been here the longest and will soon again he the majority.

If you come here, you should learn Spanish or get out! It's our official language. I mean look at our city names!
I figure you are just trolling but there is a very good case to be made for English even if Texas had no history of English use.

First of all, there is no official language of Texas. English and Spanish are common but not official.

Anyway back to the case for English.

English is by far the most important language in the world. Now there are more people who speak languages like Mandarin and Hindustani, but those languages are mostly limited to particular regions. English is widespread across the globe.

Many countries use English as an auxiliary language. In China and Europe school children are required to study English. Depending on how well those children actually learn English, it could soon become the most spoken language in the world with about 2 billion speakers.

Even in nations where English is spoken only by a small minority of the population, it is still often an official language of government and it is often considered a neutral language. In the Philippines for example many minorities resent the official use of Tagalog because of its historical baggage and would prefer the government to use neutral English. Same for Iraq, the Kurdish minority actually prefers the use of English to Arabic because Arabic is seen as the language of oppression. In India, there are so many languages that English is often the most practical choice for communication.

English is by treaty the official language of aviation and the de facto language of science and commerce. When scientists and business people meet for international conferences, English is usually the language of choice. English is also the predominant language for publishing. Most books and web pages are published in English.

So even if Texas had Spanish as the official language, it would wise of us to adopt English instead.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:28 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:

Lord....

Old 09-07-2009, 03:30 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Why aren't people required to speak Spanish in TX?

Same reason they aren't required to speak English in TX.
It's a free country. You can speak any d**m language that you want.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:10 PM

277 posts, read 577,214 times
Methinks you are being facetious.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:59 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
Quote:

Actually there were a few Spanish missions in Texas first. However Spain/Mexico gave land to anglos to actually settle the state.
Having a few outposts in a place doesnt mean its 'yours' or your culture dominates that place. As Mexicans found out after trying to exert too much control over the settlers of Texas.
In short the nonsense about Texas being part of Aztlan proves you shouldnt believe everything you read.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:24 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
No real gut hooks yet! Good fer y'all.

I can cuss in Cajun ... but I live close to La..

Old 09-07-2009, 06:57 PM

454 posts, read 688,356 times
Quote:

This is the type of attitude some Texans have that make this place blows. Narrow-mindedness.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:10 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Quote:

It offends me as a Texan that we have allowed the English culture and language to invade our state! We were founded as part of the Indian Nation, invaded by and systematically destroyed by Spaniards. Some Mexicans think they have been here the longest and will soon again be the majority.

To live here, you should be required to learn Indian languages or get out! It's our official heritage. I mean look at our state's name, derived from the Hasinai. a large confederation of Caddo-speaking Native Americans located between the Sabine and Trinity rivers in eastern Texas. They were known as the Tejas—Texas, an old Spanish spelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: