U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2007, 07:22 PM

246 posts, read 544,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I lived in Amarillo for 13 years until I made a career move to the Pac NW 2 years ago. I found Amarillo to be a very good place. Housing is reasonable, the people are really great, and the winters aren't that bad. Some winters go without any sort of snow storm---sometimes just a dusting, sometimes you do get a whopper. It does get cold, but then it heats up as well. It does get very windy and the summers can get hot, but to me that is a small price to pay for what seemed to me, an easier way of life. I always found the job market to be sort of click-ish for some reason. The medical industry is very big there and the west side of town is growing in leaps and bounds as is the south--and yet, you can drive a couple of minutes and be on a farm road away from it.

As a single woman, I always felt safe there and would often return there after living in Phoenix, Florida, CA, etc because I felt like it was a good place to regroup. People are friendly and you drum up alot of conversations with the grocery store cashiers, etc. They have a respectable symphony, a new arts center downtown, and downtown is going through a revitalization. I just found it to be a good place overall.
========================
I'm sure you've heard the local joke about the smell of money. Even lifelong residents told me they couldn't stand the stockyard smell. Can't smell it all the time like Hereford but when it's bad it's bad! I left in January during the worst winter in 7 years. But I was told it could get much worse and it was still pretty bad. The drought appears to be over so I wouldn't count on mild winters. I drive for a living so that's a deal breaker for me. If people don't mind that then it's a nice town.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Van,
I'm not sure how much time you spent in Abilene but we have three multi-screen theater complexes (12, 10 and 8) in the city, two drive-in theaters, and the beautifully restored Paramount Theater. And we have Books-A-Million, which is very big, and also Hastings which has a huge book section.

We have the typical stores and restaurant chains but what I REALLY like about Abilene is the number of local businesses and area chains. No way can I go to Texas or Logan's Road House (we have both) anymore for a steak when I can get an INCREDIBLY delicious steak at Joe Allen's for $8.99. Monk's Coffee downtown beats Starbuck's anytime, IMO. And, OMG, the new Beehive Restaurant has THE most incredible burgers and such! Their burgers are less expensive than Chili's and SO much better!

But, that's me. I don't like cities of concrete and the same old chain restaurants. Abilene has the chains most people want but the local businesses and restaurants abound, too. I like that, and I try to patronize the local establishments as much as possible. Yeah, we have a two-airline airport but why would we need more than that? DFW and Love Field are an easy 2 1/2 drive if you don't want to take the 27-minute plane ride to DFW.
=====================
Good to hear! I was saying that, IMO, when a city is developed enough to have a Barnes & Noble or Borders, a good airport, and large multiplex theatres, it generally will have about pretty much everything you'd want. Didn't mean to imply that places lke Abilene don't have at least some of those things. I have family scattered across the country so a good airport is important to me. I'm 5 minutes from the Lubbock airport, can't beat the convenience. But since I only fly twice a year, not that big a deal. As far as books go, there's a difference between the biggest chains and the rest. Books-a-Million is ok, Hastings less so. Hastings is headquartered in Amarillo where they recently opened a B & N style store but many of their stores lack the selection in many subjects. Not the end of the world, but I spent years working for my company in places like Eagle Pass, TX and Deming, NM. I'm really enjoying the amenities now. At any rate, I feel there's a point where a city has grown up. Just big enough to have much of what you'd find in much bigger places but without the congestion, crime, pollution, costs of bigger places. Regards.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:19 PM

81 posts, read 220,754 times
I'm looking forward to it also, even though I'm going to be moving for at least a year. It will be nice to have somewhere better than Hastings for book selection. I look for a lot of stuff there that they don't have.

It has changed a lot since 98. Remember the old freeway that sat there for 30 years unbuilt? It's done and along it there is a Circuit City, Furniture Row, Home Depot, Olive Garden, hotels, Jim Bass Ford Nissan etc. moved there and others. And stuff is still going up there. Just behind that where the movie theater was being built, it's loaded with shops and restaurants..Best Buy, Academy, Applebees, Marble Slab, Cold Stone, McCallister's Deli, Logan's, Outback. etc etc etc. If you haven't been here at all since 98 you'd be in for a shock. Sam's Club next to the Supercenter..and the other Wal Mart was turned into the largest Supercenter ever built. They are trying to get development on that side of town as well so it's not all on the SW-W part of town.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady12 View Post
I'm looking forward to it also, even though I'm going to be moving for at least a year. It will be nice to have somewhere better than Hastings for book selection. I look for a lot of stuff there that they don't have.

It has changed a lot since 98. Remember the old freeway that sat there for 30 years unbuilt? It's done and along it there is a Circuit City, Furniture Row, Home Depot, Olive Garden, hotels, Jim Bass Ford Nissan etc. moved there and others. And stuff is still going up there. Just behind that where the movie theater was being built, it's loaded with shops and restaurants..Best Buy, Academy, Applebees, Marble Slab, Cold Stone, McCallister's Deli, Logan's, Outback. etc etc etc. If you haven't been here at all since 98 you'd be in for a shock. Sam's Club next to the Supercenter..and the other Wal Mart was turned into the largest Supercenter ever built. They are trying to get development on that side of town as well so it's not all on the SW-W part of town.
==================
Wow! OK, got the blues now, lol. Had a chance to transfer there over a year ago but held out for Lubbock because it had more of everything I thought. Should've taken a drive to look it over. Thanks for the info. I'd recommend to anyone considering West Texas to check out San Angelo. For example, for anyone looking for something different, besides the lakes it also has a nice riverwalk. Great for walking, jogging, hanging out. Not your typical West Texas town.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:57 PM

791 posts, read 1,512,843 times
MWmom, I'd really like to ask why you would consider moving to west Texas. The only reason I could really fathom is a love for high school football.

Amarillo is larger than the other cities mentioned and would afford a better opportunity for work on a consistent basis. It is very windy, all the time. A long way from any where and very flat. If it is indeed served by five airlines then it would be my choice as that would afford more opportunities for escape.

Midland/Odessa are a hundred miles from Abilene which is a hundred fifty miles from Ft Worth and another thirty to Dallas, all on Interstate 20. There isn't much to do in MO or Abilene though Odessa is developing a trade for call center employment. I grew up in Abilene, or rather went to public schools there, growing up after I moved to the big city. The Abilene I knew is dead. Most development is either north or south. The once vibrant interior of the city is degrading. My mom continuously tells me how Abilene is growing, restaurants, hotels, shopping, stuff. She fails to mention the now vacant strip malls in town. Block after block, in all parts of the inner city.

The religious crowd has mostly moved to the northeast end for Hardin Simmons or Abilene Christian U and a real big WalMart. Everyone else has trended southwest, towards Buffalo Gap. This is where most of suburban development is taking place, including seniors living places. This area would also service the upper ranks of the nearby air force base, the lower ranks filling in what's left of the inner city. Abilene does not seek growth so you shouldn't expect to seek employment there. There are three church supported colleges (church of chrsit, baptist and methodist) and a state supported junior college. I cannot speak for Midland/Odessa excepting that Abilene, Midland and Odessa play in the same UIL (state competition) district.

A point to consider is the geography. Just south of Buffalo Gap is the Callahan Divide, an east/west divide between the Brazos River and Colorado River watersheds. The Brazos runs east almost to Fort Worth then south to near Houston, the Colorado somewhat east and then south to Austin and on to the Gulf of Mexico. This puts San Angelo in the Colorado watershed and really is a nicer area. And puts Abilene in the Brazos watershed and a bit of a saucer like 'ditch' on the northern edge of the Edwards Plateau. This effects precipitation in Abilene, which is usually less than either needed or desired. Though Abilene may have some nice features they probably aren't enough to justify throwing your life into the pit.

In short, do not seek life in Abilene, short of desperation.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:30 AM

3,494 posts, read 9,745,239 times
wow you paint a dismal picture of Abilene. i dont know Abilene very well, but always thought it seemed like a halfway decent town (it was one of my routes when i was a flight attendant). i remember the pilots would take me out to eat at Joe Allens BBQ (i think that is the name)

Old 07-29-2007, 12:06 PM

47 posts, read 235,465 times
Abilene isn't that bad. I continuously try to defend it, but people insist upon bashing it. Abilene isn't perfect, but it isn't the hellhole people make it out to be. I give up trying to make it seem like a decent place to anyone because my words fall on deaf ears and no one wants to think anything about Abilene other than that it is a Bible beating hick town that does nothing but sit on its **** and watch the world drive by. Forget it. If you want to move here, you are welcome to join us. If not, good luck in whatever you choose to do. I'm just sick of people always bashing my hometown just because it isn't a DFW suburb or commercial oasis. Let me know if anyone actually cares about Abilene and wants to know what life is really like here.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:47 PM

81 posts, read 220,754 times
I like Abilene fine, it's similar to San Angelo, my hometown. It seems though that the downsides to San Angelo are the same but worse up there. Not progressive enough, no pro sports there because they can't sell beer, etc.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:45 PM

9,041 posts, read 12,362,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexan87 View Post
Abilene isn't that bad. I continuously try to defend it, but people insist upon bashing it. Abilene isn't perfect, but it isn't the hellhole people make it out to be. I give up trying to make it seem like a decent place to anyone because my words fall on deaf ears and no one wants to think anything about Abilene other than that it is a Bible beating hick town that does nothing but sit on its **** and watch the world drive by. Forget it. If you want to move here, you are welcome to join us. If not, good luck in whatever you choose to do. I'm just sick of people always bashing my hometown just because it isn't a DFW suburb or commercial oasis. Let me know if anyone actually cares about Abilene and wants to know what life is really like here.
I hear you, and I understand very well. Midland-Odessa, as you already know, gets the same treatment. Ditto to some extent, Amarillo/Lubbock.

I also feel the same way. If somebody doesn't like it, let them go somewhere else. I also get sick of people bashing West Texas for whatever reason. I like all of these towns for different reasons!

Although I am relocating in a few days, if I come back to TX, it WILL be West Texas. I would not live any farther east than Abilene, period.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:31 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,635,867 times
I moved to Abilene 8 months ago and LOVE it! My goodness, little Abilene has a philharmonic, community chorus, ballet company, opera, and lots of theater. Downtown has been beautifully restored, and we have a big and thriving commercial area around the mall with just about every store and restaurant you could want. We even have a lovely little zoo!

Another commercial area is developing on I-20 near the new Walmart. Just since I've been here, two new hotels have opened near there and a new Lowe's and shopping center have been built. In fact, the owners of that development have announced that new hotels and restaurants have committed to coming and when all is said and done, this retail area is going to be bigger than that by the mall. (I'm still trying to figure out where the poster's rows and rows of abandoned strip malls are, as I haven't seen anything dramatic like that!)

We have a good quality of life here -- it's laid-back, comfortable, and affordable. The schools, from what I've read, are excellent and we have lots of parks and recreation. It's a great place to raise a family and also to retire. My 19-year-old son has said he wishes he grew up here, instead of the RGV.

Most of all, the people of Abilene are FAB! Kind, friendly and down-to-earth. Check out the Abilene Reporter-News' website and read the Letters to the Editor sometime. That section frequently has letters about random acts of kindness shown to them by Abilene residents. This is a great place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas