U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 AM

8,957 posts, read 15,462,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
That's a cool pic, Bob.

Come on guys, lets be honest...fall foliage in Texas SUCKS!

Los Maples State park is pretty good, though.

Well, so do Texas beaches...but there you go.

However, Far East Texas does put on a little show. The pine trees break up the color though. Like I said. I'll take pictures this fall, but we were pretty dry this summer, so who know what the trees will do. I am planning on planting a lot of maple trees this fall, so that should help in years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 12:53 AM

206 posts, read 297,328 times
Quote:
Dude, you're thinking of leaving OREGON? that's the prettiest state..or one of the prettiest. My vote would go for Wyoming/Montana area.
Western OR- four months of nice weather and eight months of living in a shower.
East Texas- Eight months of nice weather and four months of living in a oven.
Take your pick- Rain dripping off your nose or sweat dripping off your nose.
Wyoming/Montana- four months of nice weather and eight months of living in a freezer.
Western OR- average price of rural acreage- 15K acre
East Texas- average price of rural acreage- 3K acre
Oregon- Scenery- Breath taking
Texas- Scenery- hhmmm
Oregon- Doctor assisted suicide, legalized pot, gay marriage, diversity training for kindergarten, draconian land use laws, Environmentalist gone wild, highest tax rates, lowest church attendance.
Texas- Gay marriage laughed at, capitol punishment that is real, freedom to utilize private property, fast food still served in Styrofoam (gasp!) reasonable user fees and tax rates, people that still honor God.
Thinking, thinking, thinking
Well, I can always come back and visit Oregon in the summer

Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 AM

5,567 posts, read 9,515,770 times
Hehe bman, I agree with you, don't worry. I think the beauty of a Wisconsin Summer/Wyoming/Montana spring, even if only 4 months of the year, beats Texas, regardless. That's why, if you can afford it, I'd get a summer home in one of those states and come down to Texas during the winters.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:59 PM

1,622 posts, read 2,678,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman15470 View Post
Western OR- four months of nice weather and eight months of living in a shower.
East Texas- Eight months of nice weather and four months of living in a oven.
Take your pick- Rain dripping off your nose or sweat dripping off your nose.
Wyoming/Montana- four months of nice weather and eight months of living in a freezer.
Western OR- average price of rural acreage- 15K acre
East Texas- average price of rural acreage- 3K acre
Oregon- Scenery- Breath taking
Texas- Scenery- hhmmm
Oregon- Doctor assisted suicide, legalized pot, gay marriage, diversity training for kindergarten, draconian land use laws, Environmentalist gone wild, highest tax rates, lowest church attendance.
Texas- Gay marriage laughed at, capitol punishment that is real, freedom to utilize private property, fast food still served in Styrofoam (gasp!) reasonable user fees and tax rates, people that still honor God.
Thinking, thinking, thinking
Well, I can always come back and visit Oregon in the summer

Outstanding assessment.

I think I want my summer home in Maine though!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Status: "Ain't it great to be alive on City-Data?" (set 7 days ago)

36,585 posts, read 19,583,607 times
Quote:
That's a cool pic, Bob.

Come on guys, lets be honest...fall foliage in Texas SUCKS!

That didn't stop me from enjoying the tall pines in East Texas. There's still something to appreciate even when leaves don't fall.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 PM

3,424 posts, read 3,429,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
That didn't stop me from enjoying the tall pines in East Texas. There's still something to appreciate even when leaves don't fall.
Yeah I agree case...East Texas has quite a beautiful fall in its own right..I cant even say that it "cant compare" to places like New England or NC/VA...it can compare...its just that East Texas' falls may not be as picturesque due to the lack of mountains, and all that that includes regarding views, panoramas, and such. But East Texas' falls are quite beautiful..

Old 10-09-2009, 12:39 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 971,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I'm a native Texan too and I agree. I've seen fall in North Carolina and West Virginia, it's gorgeous, fall color as far as you can see. In my opinion, ten leaves turning does not qualify as fall color.

I agree with you. I have also spent time in NC, and VA/DC, the changing colors of autumn leaves are so beautiful. In Texas you can expect to see very minimal, and especially having a drought year, a lot of trees have died or are too weak.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:49 AM
Status: "Ain't it great to be alive on City-Data?" (set 7 days ago)

36,585 posts, read 19,583,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Yeah I agree case...East Texas has quite a beautiful fall in its own right..I cant even say that it "cant compare" to places like New England or NC/VA...it can compare...its just that East Texas' falls may not be as picturesque due to the lack of mountains, and all that that includes regarding views, panoramas, and such. But East Texas' falls are quite beautiful..
And you don't necessarily have to have mountains to enjoy natural beauty. Forests just have a certain air to them.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 AM

8,957 posts, read 15,462,300 times
Depends where you are in Texas..I have a "Vista." No where near the Blue Ridge in Beauty...but you make do with what you have...

Old 10-09-2009, 10:47 AM

3,424 posts, read 3,429,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Depends where you are in Texas..I have a "Vista." No where near the Blue Ridge in Beauty...but you make do with what you have...
Was that picture taken in fall by any chance? It looks a little like an early morning summer pic. To be honest I think that pic is perfectly comparable to what you'll find in some parts of VA...Now in other parts of VA where mountains exist, that picture would certainly fall short in the eyes of most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas