Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:34 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
^^^I grew up not far from the area and can third that.
Where 'bouts you from in that area, Bostoner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:05 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Where 'bouts you from in that area, Bostoner?
Titus County

Old 11-08-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
Titus County

Gotcha!

Yeah, sometimes when we go to Caddo, we will go/come back thru Mt. Pleasant. Isn't Don Meridith (of old Dallas Cowboy fame) from there?

Anyway, great East Texas small city! The couple we usually rent from out at Caddo live there.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 21,488 times
Default East TX now, but formerly from WI

I moved here in June from WI and must say I was suprised at the amount of color I have seen here in East TX. It is beautiful in its own way and why we picked over here as it does stay greener, more trees, etc than alot of TX... Here is a shot of fall WI color out of the back door of our former home in WI near dusk a few years back. Tour buses come thru in the fall colors from all over so it also it up there in beauty. But the trade off for 5 mos of cold/stay in your house weather + high property taxes just wasn't worth the trade off. We moved near Van, TX and love it. People are great, schools are new and good, and the weather is super. And it has not been dry here around us. Cloudiest Oct. on record and several flood warnings last month.
Attached Thumbnails
East Texas Fall Colors-backdoorview.jpg  

Old 11-08-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutting horses East Texas View Post
I moved here in June from WI and must say I was suprised at the amount of color I have seen here in East TX. It is beautiful in its own way and why we picked over here as it does stay greener, more trees, etc than alot of TX... Here is a shot of fall WI color out of the back door of our former home in WI near dusk a few years back. Tour buses come thru in the fall colors from all over so it also it up there in beauty. But the trade off for 5 mos of cold/stay in your house weather + high property taxes just wasn't worth the trade off. We moved near Van, TX and love it. People are great, schools are new and good, and the weather is super. And it has not been dry here around us. Cloudiest Oct. on record and several flood warnings last month.
Pretty pic...and Welcome to Texas!

Where do you live out that way?

Old 11-08-2009, 12:28 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,206 times
East Texas is not the only region with beautiful fall colors......this autumn in Parker County (west of Fort Worth) has been simply STUNNING! The entire county is draped out in red, gold, and orange, with tall waving grasses to boot. It is so gorgeous, I have probably been an unsafe driver, for all my gawking.

These pics are from my backyard.....one of our huge red oaks, and the close-up is Crape Myrtle.
Attached Thumbnails
East Texas Fall Colors-img_2567.jpg   East Texas Fall Colors-img_2559.jpg  

Old 11-08-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
East Texas is not the only region with beautiful fall colors......this autumn in Parker County (west of Fort Worth) has been simply STUNNING! The entire county is draped out in red, gold, and orange, with tall waving grasses to boot. It is so gorgeous, I have probably been an unsafe driver, for all my gawking.

These pics are from my backyard.....one of our huge red oaks, and the close-up is Crape Myrtle.
Good point, Pontificator!

Many (including me) don't always appreciate -- or even think of -- the "Cross Timbers" region of Texas when it comes to this subject. I am only a few miles removed from it.

Also, go just NE of Wichita Falls into the Charlie and Thornberry areas along the Red River, and it has a lot of the same. That is, natural live oaks and oaks which have the beautiful colors come fall....

Old 11-08-2009, 01:27 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,206 times
Yep, yep, TexasReb!! I've just been surprised at the notions by some on the topic of fall color.....Texas is a BIG state, and it's not "all" this or "all" that. And it's beautiful EVERYWHERE, I like it all. This fall in the Near West is just particularly glorious, but it is the norm to have the beautiful colors.

I read that an early settler referred to the Cross Timbers region as the Cast Iron Forest!! It was said to be at the western edge of hospitable land.......now I know many would take issue with that!

Thanks for the tip on the area NE of Wichita Falls!

Old 11-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
Yep, yep, TexasReb!! I've just been surprised at the notions by some on the topic of fall color.....Texas is a BIG state, and it's not "all" this or "all" that. And it's beautiful EVERYWHERE, I like it all. This fall in the Near West is just particularly glorious, but it is the norm to have the beautiful colors.

I read that an early settler referred to the Cross Timbers region as the Cast Iron Forest!! It was said to be at the western edge of hospitable land.......now I know many would take issue with that!

Thanks for the tip on the area NE of Wichita Falls!
Lemme know next time you get up/out this way, and I will provide you the map to the "scenic" route!

Charlie and Thornberry are "produce" communities and purty as it comes! *smiles* You can stop along the way and, pick up a bushel basket, and pick yer own black-eyed peas and peaches!

Old 11-08-2009, 03:26 PM

6 posts, read 21,488 times
We live north of Van a bit. We looked over in Parker County as well as our main reason for moving was cutting horses. East of Dallas reminded us of WI more. I do have to say my favorite tree for color is the sugar Maples. Their rainbows are breathtaking if all weather factors fall into place. I do take notice of the Sumacs though and how pretty they can be. But it takes them all combining together to bring it all together. No matter where you live unless you truly "see" and "appreciate" the scenery it just blends into the backround. Some people just don't "see" it or take the time. I just saw a person's amazing pictures of bugs that were beautiful. The colors were so intense and stunning I was amazed even though personally I am not a bug lover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas