U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:51 PM

27 posts, read 68,077 times
Default Beaumont....good place to live? Where very nearby is better?

I have a possible job chance in Beaumont. Is Beaumont itself a decent place for a family? Or, what nearby city would be a better choice? Seeing as I wouldn't have to actually live in Beaumont itself. Thanks for your opinions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 09:21 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,581,047 times
What do you mean by "a decent place for a family". Obviously 112,000 people do feel it is or I assume they would leave.

What do you want in a new home? What are your desires? What are you looking for as far as your family is concerned. Need some likes and dislikes listed!

List what you are looking for and then you can get some more distinct answers.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 PM

27 posts, read 68,077 times
Is it a safe place? Here, Detroit has thousands upon thousands of people living in the city, but I wouldn't live in it. It's not safe. How is the crime rate? Do homes there have barred windows for security? Is it safe to walk down the street at night? Is it a good place for kids to grow up?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:38 PM

Move to Lumberton. No bars on windows. Good schools. Much safer.

I live 50 miles north of town and don't even lock my doors and leave the keys in my autos. I do have means to discourage bad guys. And I have a canine warning system.

Parts of Beaumont are nice and safer than others. I wouldn't live in any of Bmt. though ... get in outlying areas if you do on the northern and western parts of town. Some parts of town i would only walk in if heavily armed and wearing body armour.

But its all a matter of perspective.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:20 PM

12,298 posts, read 12,937,541 times
Beaumont for the most part is relatively safe. I visit friends in Beaumont quite frequently & would have no qualms about living there if I really had to. Its Port Aurthur you want to steer clear of. Crime down there rivals much larger crime ridden cities like New Orleans, Detroit, & Philly. Its VERY ghetto.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:59 AM

2 posts, read 6,292 times
Hello Michiman. It really depends on what environment you like. Beaumont is diverse while Lumberton as BobTex mentioned above is primarily "caucasian". If you do choose Beaumont, as many people here have also mentioned, the West End is a great place to start. It is close to practically everything you need (mall, entertainment, recreation, restaurants, good schools, lots of new home/apartment construction, safe area, and hospitals). Plus, you will not have to worry about rush hour traffic (well it depends where your job is located ofcourse). Good luck on your choice!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:32 AM

7,697 posts, read 17,678,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eFeL View Post
Hello Michiman. It really depends on what environment you like. Beaumont is diverse while Lumberton as BobTex mentioned above is primarily "caucasian".

If you exclude the principle cities of Beaumont, PA and Orange, I believe just about every town in the Golden Triangle is "primarily" (as in 90-95%) like that. The principle cities are "diverse" as in "black & white" like Louisiana, not internationally cosmopolitan like Houston or Dallas metros.

As far as the area being ''good'' for a family, I suppose that depends on your personal opinion. You can dig up ranks/reports for that, many of which put the area among the worst areas in the USA to raise a family. The reality is people do what they have to do to make money. I have been working in the area for 1.5 years, explored and gotten to know the area as best I could, and can tell you without a doubt I would never bring my wife & daughter here. Label me as you wish. I could write a thesis regarding my reasons, but I'll save that for another day.

They sure do know how to cook up some damn good seafood, Cajun cuisine and TX-LA hybrid BBQ though.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:13 AM

41,246 posts, read 43,989,368 times
It like any city whether its houston dallas or whatever. The best palces to live raise a family are in the outskrts like most place in the USA. Certainly its safer say than the worse reas of houston or dallas as its not as crazy. Lumberton is a good place as long as you like the bible belt type areas with no liquor sales etc.The mid cpunty area also is a nice area. Looking west and north you find more forested areas.Right now it has more problems because it is drawing so many workers from outside that bring alot of problems in a boom type environment.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:01 PM

4,609 posts, read 6,065,646 times
No place very nearby Beaumont is better than Beaumont. For that area of SE TX, Beaumont is the best you're going to get.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
No place very nearby Beaumont is better than Beaumont. For that area of SE TX, Beaumont is the best you're going to get.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas