Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times

Advertisements

I am from California and that one thing I noticed quickly that the mustard burger was king in TX. Even Burger Kings' Texan Whopper has mustard instead of ketchup. Saying that, I have to always remember to "hold the mustard".
Still waiting for the king to open in Texas......In N Out of course, they'll be huge here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 03:14 PM

216 posts, read 934,526 times
Hold on slo1318 ... I lived in Panorama City, California through the middle of my 4th grade year. I normally brought my lunch from home, but one day in the 3rd or 4th grade I chose to eat a hamburger from the regular lunch line.

I took my tray to the table and took a bite of the hamburger and almost threw up. It had mustard on it way back in the late-60's in the Los Angeles area. I hated mustard then & I hate it still today.

Last edited by ripley; 12-12-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 12-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Dallas based ones do too - maybe its all Whataburgers?
Probably so. I meant that the Whataburger corporation is based in San Antonio.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:26 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
Hold on slo1318 ... I lived in Panorama City, California through the middle of my 4th grade year. I normally brought my lunch from home, but one day in the 3rd or 4th grade I chose to eat a hamburger from the regular lunch line.

I took my tray to the table and took a bite of the hamburger and almost threw up. It had mustard on it way back in the late-60's in the Los Angeles area. I hated mustard then & I hate it still today.

Im gonna say thats the exception. In CA burgers have mayo, ketchup, bbq sauce, thousand island, but rarely mustard.....

Old 12-13-2010, 07:19 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
I grew up in Dallas in the 60's and 70's. We only did mustard on burgers. I didn't realize it was a regional or a Texas thing. I know some places put mayo, ketchup etc, on them, but never thought about mustard being a Texas thing. It still grosses me out when I get mayo or ketchup on one. What's even worse is some kind of special sauce. YUK!!!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:49 AM

149 posts, read 357,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
More evidence that MUSTARD is the preferred condiment for Texans on their hamburgers:

Mustard on Burgers: As Un-American as Texas? - The Atlantic Food Channel
Texas is un-American? If it was not off-topic, I could think of a few things to post about the easterner's patiotism. At least the American flag flies over our public buildings and we respect it just like we respect the Lone Star Flag.

I've always liked my hamburger with mustard over mayonaise. Whataburger makes 'em good that way. I didn't know that it was strictly a Texas "thing" or that it was "un-American".

If you yankees don't want mustard on your hamburger (attacking the story), then request it without it but don't call it un-American if it does.

Ugg!

Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I am from California and that one thing I noticed quickly that the mustard burger was king in TX. Even Burger Kings' Texan Whopper has mustard instead of ketchup. Saying that, I have to always remember to "hold the mustard".
Still waiting for the king to open in Texas......In N Out of course, they'll be huge here.
You're in luck! They are opening one in the DFW metro area. I've posted this before. It is a good hamburger because they have a policy that promotes freshness which leads to tastyness (I think I've invented a new word!). However, the King (of hamburgers) is in San Antonio.

So, yeah, I'll give it to In-And-Out that they make a good burger because that's all they do and it is fresh. No chicken sandwiches or tacos or french dip concoctions as well as the hamburgers. Just simple; you get a hamburger (or cheeseburger), fries and a coke. That's it.

However, Whataburger has the same policies and that's why they are successful. Further, I suspect that since lots of Germans settled Texas many generations ago that they passed their pallets on to their decendents hence a love for mustard on hamburgers, hotdogs, sausages, wedding cake...opps! Just making a point for a love of mustard by Texans. So y'all have a great Texas day! Get to WB as fast as you can.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
The original hamburger, which was invented in Athens, Texas had ground MUSTARD on it, which was mixed with mayonnaise (I guess prepared mustard hadn't been invented yet?). So mustard is indeed TEXAN, and it is AMERICAN, since Uncle Fletch invented the first hamburger in America. Case closed.....

The Big Apple: Hamburger & Fletcher Davis of Athens, TX ("Original Home of the Hamburger”?)

Old 12-14-2010, 01:45 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritof68 View Post
It is a good hamburger because they have a policy that promotes freshness which leads to tastyness (I think I've invented a new word!).
Not really...there is already the word 'tastiness'. Your spelling makes it a new word of sorts, though.

I don't like either mustard OR mayo on my burgers. In fact, I like them with only meat, bread and cheese. Whataburgers are great that way! No need to cover up the taste of good meat with a lot of extraneous material. Call me a mostly carnivorous purist.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Not really...there is already the word 'tastiness'. Your spelling makes it a new word of sorts, though.
...well I would not say spelling is one of my strong suits!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don't like either mustard OR mayo on my burgers. In fact, I like them with only meat, bread and cheese. Whataburgers are great that way! No need to cover up the taste of good meat with a lot of extraneous material. Call me a mostly carnivorous purist.
I've posted before to each his own. Bread, meat and cheese is good. Something can be said for that.

Louie's Lunch in New Haven, CT has a no ketchup policy because they want you to taste the meat because they "worked darn hard at it". In fact, they frown on all condiments.

I still like the tang of mustard on my burger though.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas