Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Texas City?
Austin 24 16.11%
Dallas (Plano, Irving) 26 17.45%
El Paso 7 4.70%
Fort Worth (Arlington) 15 10.07%
Houston 29 19.46%
San Antonio 48 32.21%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:29 PM

95 posts, read 279,230 times

Advertisements

Considerations:
- Texas-y-ness
- Quality of Life
- Climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 06:03 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,058 times
So why are the panhandle cities of Lubbock and Amarillo excluded from this poll?

Old 10-13-2009, 06:39 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
I voted Houston. But if you had Tyler in the list, I'd vote for that. It's over 100,000 in population and definately has better weather and seasons than the others in your list.

San Antonio? Really? Texaness?? All the billboards are in Spanish. Austin we gave to Californians with a bow on it.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I voted Houston. But if you had Tyler in the list, I'd vote for that. It's over 100,000 in population and definately has better weather and seasons than the others in your list.

San Antonio? Really? Texaness?? All the billboards are in Spanish. Austin we gave to Californians with a bow on it.
I agree with you on both points. If a city is too Mexican/Spanish, it isn't Texan enough. Houston is the best representation of Texas as it has the Mexican influence along with the Texas Anglo characteristics and a very diverse population to boot. Furthermore, we all tend to get along pretty well.

Austin, that place isn't Texas. It's a city for Americans to fawn over that dislike Texas. Those people tend to not understand what this great state is all about.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 AM

95 posts, read 279,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
So why are the panhandle cities of Lubbock and Amarillo excluded from this poll?
Sorry, I selected the top 5 metropolitan areas population-wise, but split Dallas & Ft. Worth into two.

List of Texas metropolitan areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I agree with you on both points. If a city is too Mexican/Spanish, it isn't Texan enough. Houston is the best representation of Texas as it has the Mexican influence along with the Texas Anglo characteristics and a very diverse population to boot. Furthermore, we all tend to get along pretty well.

Austin, that place isn't Texas. It's a city for Americans to fawn over that dislike Texas. Those people tend to not understand what this great state is all about.
Funny you should say that because according to some of your fellow Houstonians Dallas is more Texas-like whereas Houston is SOOOO worldly and comsmopolitan and beyond Texas hmm....interesting

Old 10-14-2009, 02:23 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
Quote:

I voted for San Antonio. Hispanic influence is a major part of Texiness in my opinion since Texas was actually part of New Spain and Mexico. Austin should be the most Texan of Texan cities but since it is quite different politically from the rest of the state I couldn't vote for it. DFW and Houston to me seem to feel less like Texas and more like typical largish American cities. El Paso sometimes seems more like New Mexico than Texas, so San Antonio wins this one, but they are all great cities.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,825 times
Quote:

Well that's obviously not true. If we're being honest, SA has arguably played the biggest role in Texas history making it the most "texan". If "texan" means F250s and belt buckles then alright you can give it to another city.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:12 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,149 times
This poll is kind of biased but not in a bad way. You see, If you grew up in Houston, then to you, Houston is Texas in your eyes and so on and so forth. It's like the quote from the movie Truman Show, "You accept the environment in which it's presented to you, it's a simple as that."

SA gets my vote.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
Well that's obviously not true. If we're being honest, SA has arguably played the biggest role in Texas history making it the most "texan". If "texan" means F250s and belt buckles then alright you can give it to another city.
Not exactly. The Old 300 settled in Brazosport. The provisional capitals were located in what is now Greater Houston. Santa Anna was captured in San Jacinto (near Houston). Galveston was the big city for the 19th Century.

San Antonio had the Alamo. The Alamo has been overplayed; people tend to forget about San Jacinto and don't realize what happened around Houston during Mexican and Republic times.

(Oh yeah, Houston wants the state capital back!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas