Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:00 PM

563 posts, read 1,711,094 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I grew up in Dallas and have lived there most of my life. A job loss and horrible economy has forced a relocation for me (moved in with my parents). They live in Conroe, 45 miles north of Houston.

I am a technical writer for computer software. I am trying to decide where to put down roots next? Conroe is definitely not my thing! Pretty trees, but waaaay too small and far out.

I do like Dallas a lot, but I wanted to try something different for a little while. I have driven through Houston once (to visit Galveston) and tried to drive in again the other day but I'm just too far out. I'm not sure if Houston is for me? I'm quite bothered by the traffic, humidity, smog, and HUGENESS of the city. It was very intimidating. And wow did it look ugly. But I haven't seen much of it yet outside of Conroe.

I guess I was wondering...since I have the opportunity to search for jobs anywhere now (my job hunt in Houston over the past 3 months has not turned up anything), what are the pluses/minuses for some of the other big cites in Texas (Austin, Houston, San Antonio)?

I was strongly considering Austin because of the hill country/lake access, plus its proximity to Dallas, Houston, and to the beach (3 1/2 hours drive for any of those), and there is work in my field there. I have friends in Dallas I still want to see, and family in Houston, and I adore the beach. But I'm not sure how well I would like it or if I would fit in? Haven't been there in a decade. Any opinions based on my personal information?

Here is what is important to me for a new city:
1. cultural diversity - I take hip hop dance classes and love salsa dancing, and also love good food from all over the place.
2. better access to nature - lakes or beaches, trees, hills, something.
3. somewhere I would fit in, as a single, 29 year old professional woman. And somewhere I would have a decent shot with a dating scene.
4. good airport access, or at least within driving distance of a good airport. Once I get a job again I'd like to travel a couple times a year and want reasonable fares.
5. jobs in the IT sector. My specialty is healthcare IT but basically just computer software is what I need. Seems like these jobs can be found in all the major cities right now though.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,331 times
Any large city fits in your 5 'wants' in a city, but Austin seems like it could be your cup of tea. It is a young feeling town, it is culturally diverse, beautiful Lake Austin with hiking and biking, the oceanbeach is within a couple hours, international airport, lots of young singles, and tons of IT jobs

Old 10-19-2009, 08:43 PM

627 posts, read 1,622,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
Hi all,

I grew up in Dallas and have lived there most of my life. A job loss and horrible economy has forced a relocation for me (moved in with my parents). They live in Conroe, 45 miles north of Houston.

What's wrong with living with daddy and mommy? Look at the bright side, you still have a roof over your head.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
What's wrong with living with daddy and mommy? Look at the bright side, you still have a roof over your head.
Hmmm...it's H*LL! lol...

Yes, I am counting my blessings right now. But anxious to get out. Have been focusing my search on Austin the last few days after doing some thinking, and I think that's where I want to be. Plus I am actually getting some leads on jobs there after three months of NOTHING in Houston. Thanks r_renea_a for confirming it for me!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
Hmmm...it's H*LL! lol...

Yes, I am counting my blessings right now. But anxious to get out. Have been focusing my search on Austin the last few days after doing some thinking, and I think that's where I want to be. Plus I am actually getting some leads on jobs there after three months of NOTHING in Houston. Thanks r_renea_a for confirming it for me!
Why? Are they being loud at night?

Can't you not have friends over? No more men over at your place after 8 pm?

You get some free warm home cooked meals, right? Free water and electricity, no?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 PM

277 posts, read 577,391 times
Quote:

You get some free warm home cooked meals, right? Free water and electricity, no?
Something called 'pride' I imagine...

Old 10-19-2009, 10:02 PM

7 posts, read 17,835 times
As a software technical writer, you have many choices.

I would spread my wings a bit and go to the high tech areas, like San Jose, CA or Seattle (Bellevue, Wa).

Old 10-19-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader6080 View Post

I would spread my wings a bit and go to the high tech areas, like San Jose, CA or Seattle (Bellevue, Wa).
Wings. I thought you were going to say something else.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:

I am almost 29 years old (too old to be living at home), I am not a freeloader (I would rather cook for myself and pay for my own place), and I had to leave all my friends back in Dallas (I'm now in a small, hick town north of Houston). It's not pride...it's inability to be independent and to have any semblance of the life I had before.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader6080 View Post

Cost of living is too high for me to go there right now. I had a bad divorce a couple years back that I'm still recovering financially from, and I can't afford to relocate that far right now. Plus I like Texas a lot. I may spread my wings someday, but now is not an ideal time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas