U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which Texas city is safer, Midland or Tyler?
Tyler, Texas 15 51.72%
Midland, Texas 14 48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,303,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So much for Midland not being humid. Right now at 3:45 am its sitting at 59 degrees with 72% humidity. In Tyler its a slightly cooler 55 degrees with 76% humidity.

Midland Weather Forecast and Conditions Texas
I didn't say that Midland never has some humidity. It's even humid HERE in NM because (surprise, surprise!!) it's been raining!

It is MUCH more humid now in M/O than 30 years ago because of Lake Amistad, population growth, new area lakes/reserviors, etc. The humidity always rises at night, even in the desert. I didn't like the greater humidity at all, but......

Watch the humidity as the day wears on. If it isn't raining in Midland, the humidity will go down more during the day than it will in ET.

But I'm glad we each like our own weather. I can tolerate the bouts of humidity more than I can a constant ongong high humidity.

You never answered my question. Does the humidity level in ET ever drop below 35-40%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,927,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So much for Midland not being humid. Right now at 3:45 am its sitting at 59 degrees with 72% humidity. In Tyler its a slightly cooler 55 degrees with 76% humidity.

Midland Weather Forecast and Conditions Texas
That's like saying Seattle is hotter than Dallas because there were a few times this last summer when that actually was the case. Anyone who has actually been to West Texas (which I doubt you have) knows that it doesn't have the stifling humidity East Texas does. Tyler is a great city, but its posters make look like it's full of people with a complex (which I know isn't the case because I've actually been there).

Old 10-25-2009, 02:09 PM

817 posts, read 1,004,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

You never answered my question. Does the humidity level in ET ever drop below 35-40%?
I can't find the source for it but I believe it does during the winter time but not everyday of course.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
I can't find the source for it but I believe it does during the winter time but not everyday of course.
I never even thought about that myself, but given that Tyler's average annual rainfall is 43 inches, with even 3.2 inches the average in the lowest winter month (Feb) it would really surprise me if that ever happens.

Tyler, TX - Climate

We have had up to 36 inches in rare years in WT (when the average extremes range from 8-18 inches, depending on where you are)......and people complained about the humidity a LOT, even if they did like the pretty green countryside, LOL!!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:50 PM

817 posts, read 1,004,421 times
Quote:
I never even thought about that myself, but given that Tyler's average annual rainfall is 43 inches, with even 3.2 inches the average in the lowest winter month (Feb) it would really surprise me if that ever happens.

Tyler, TX - Climate
Tyler doesn't get green during winter so the humidity drops during that time. I remember checking weather on weather.com everyday last winter the humidity will get down to 20% many times.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 AM

74 posts, read 100,454 times
Why won't you move to DFW? I guess Tyler won't be too unbearable if you're only there for 2 years, but please get out after that. If you want to do something other than go to chain restaurants and watch movies, for the most part, you're out of luck.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,088 times
We lived in Midland for several years and left because of the desert feel and the long drive to anywhere. Moved to Tyler for the trees and greenery. Wish we hadn't. Tyler is old money, corrupt, racist. If daddy is rich and the family has been here for a long time and you are white, you can be the Rose Queen. It will set daddy back several hundred thousand dollars, but you can be royalty. If you are white, that is.

If you have school age kids, put them in a private school. Public schools are NOT safe.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:39 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,522,542 times
Quote:
I give a crap about humidity. I HATE it, and I won't live with it, period!! Not all of Texas is humid--West Texas and the Panhandle are dry by comparison.

You can have humidity and lush green....I like some green, but not East Texas-Louisiana green. It's just TOO much. Frizzy hair, constant sweating that never goes away, shirt sticking to your back, never feeling clean, constant headaches, tiredness...unless you spend all of your time in AC, which is the only way to stand it.

That's the great thing about Texas....it has something to offer everybody.
Have you ever spent a summer day in Tyler? Because it sounds more like you're describing Houston. Northeast Texas humidity is nothing compared to Southeast Texas humidity.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Have you ever spent a summer day in Tyler? Because it sounds more like you're describing Houston. Northeast Texas humidity is nothing compared to Southeast Texas humidity.
YES. I'd say that July qualifies, wouldn't you?

You cannot begin to know the difference until you have driven from Jackson, MS to Midland (with stops). Yes, Tyler was less humid than Jackson, but far MORE humid than Midland (this was 1983).

If you aren't used to humidity, you can really feel it. I lived outside of Jackson for 6 months, and I never acclimated.

Driving from El Paso to Austin was the same sort of thing!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,522,542 times
Quote:
YES. I'd say that July qualifies, wouldn't you?

You cannot begin to know the difference until you have driven from Jackson, MS to Midland (with stops). Yes, Tyler was less humid than Jackson, but far MORE humid than Midland (this was 1983).

If you aren't used to humidity, you can really feel it. I lived outside of Jackson for 6 months, and I never acclimated.

Driving from El Paso to Austin was the same sort of thing!
I can understand Tyler being considered very humid to someone from out West, but to other people I'm sure it's not that big of a deal.

Plus, I used to live in Killeen where it could get pretty dry, and when I was younger we used to take summer road trips from Texas to Georgia. NE Texas weather is a picnic compared to places like San Antonio and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas