Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:03 AM

161 posts, read 227,113 times

Advertisements

Tennessee is head and shoulders above TX. We are stuck here until March and TN was on our short list for moves. The weather is much better there, cleaner, more beautiful. TX is just one gigantic piece of land that takes days to cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 01:58 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
4 year old OP still getting replies???

Old 11-18-2013, 08:29 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post
Tennessee is head and shoulders above TX. We are stuck here until March and TN was on our short list for moves. The weather is much better there, cleaner, more beautiful. TX is just one gigantic piece of land that takes days to cross.
I agree and plan to be outta here in Tennessee in a few years.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:11 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacosSon View Post
So here's the story in short form:

My wife and I live in California. We hate it. Can't wait to get out. We've had some heavy encouragement to look into TN and TX. We're in love with both of them! So, I'm posting this in both state's threads. Can you guys help us decide? Here's what we're looking for:

- Small town (2000-15,000 people) Either
- All 4 seasons (would really like some cold in winter) TN
- Decent schools Either
- Jobs (I currently work as an IT Technician and she's a marketing coordinator for architecture) TX
- 3+ bedroom house with 1+ acres of land for under $220k Both
- Some conservative American values Both
- Great outdoor areas (we fish, hunt, camp, offroad and wakeboard/waterski) Both

- Within an hour or so drive from a city with a decent airport TX

I hope we're not being too picky, but its a big move since its the only one we'll probably make. We're REALLY leaning toward the Fort Worth area if we choose Texas. Can't stand too much humidity and we've fallen in love with that region. Can't do a dry county, and need some wooded areas to stay sane. We'll probably rent a year before we bought to get to know the area, but we just need to know where to start. If you can tell us some cities, and why you'd think they'd fit us that would be great. Also, any ex-Tennesseers wanna weigh in too? Thanks guys!

Nick & Court
Texas is large and has more variety in landscape but TN does have your four seasons.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:09 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
I've lived in both places.

If your preferences lean more towards scenery and climate, I would choose Tennessee -hands down, no question. If you're more concerned with friendly people, good food and more vibrant culture, I'd choose Texas. Tennesseans can be clannish and not open to outsiders and being from California would only exacerbate that for you.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,203 times
Moving from California should make it very easy to maybe payoff a home easy. Outdoors activities in TN are a lot better, not to mention the Smoky Mountains, Gatlinburg, pigeon Forge, parks, canoeing, biking, the music and the art, and a conservative friendly culture. Memphis is not an option. I lived in TN for 14 years and my daughter lives in TX. I have lived in San Antonio also. In TN the best place will be Williamson County (best county in TN), very good school systems, low crime, plenty of facilities, house price a little higher but coming from California it will be nothing. 2.5 - 3 areas from Smoky Mountains and many other attractions going to Chattanooga. 4 hours to Atlanta, 1.5 hr. to Space center in Huntsville Alabama. I was going to move to TX for job change and retirement, when I started studying about property taxes there, forget it, this is not a place if you are planning to a lower income in retirement (Austin might be a better place, but taxes are still a nightmare for retirees. I have a 312000 house in TN that I will pay off and have a property tax of 1666.00 when I retire, a similar house in TX will be around 236000 - 275000 but you will pay between 5000 and 10000 on property taxes depending on the location when you retire and this is after homestead exemption. The difference in take money home after retirement is huge, especially if you want to spend it having fun when retire. Also TN has a law that freezes your property tax when you retire at 65, not to mention you can see the beautiful landscape and change of seasons with the correct length of time. Spring Hill, Franklin, and Brentwood are very good areas, Antioch is also a very good area in Williamson County and you get a lot bigger and nice house for the buck. Rarely snows in Middle TN. The west side closer to the airport has some nice areas too and is closer to a very nice big lake.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,758 times
Default Tennesse or Texas??

Did you make the move?? We are looking at both states to retire to as well.
Any input appreciated. Texas is hot and crowded, Tennessee???
Thanks.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:36 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getpeggi View Post
Did you make the move?? We are looking at both states to retire to as well.
Any input appreciated. Texas is hot and crowded, Tennessee???
Thanks.
I know....right?

Last edited by hound 109; 07-15-2016 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 06:01 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
I would rather live in Texas than Tennessee.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:04 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Check out Argyle, Texas.

Although the acre for $220k may not be there. But close to there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas