Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:27 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,438 times

Advertisements

I prefer Texas but hey thats just me
-WT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 02:53 PM

43 posts, read 35,580 times
Great thread even though it was really old! (Btw, I think the OP ended up moving to Tulsa OK lol).

Old 03-02-2018, 06:48 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Texas

Old 09-03-2018, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,178 times
I've lived in both and currently reside in Knoxville, TN. I'm debating on moving my family to Argyle (Nothlake) area, as we really like Texas. The only thing that turns us off, however, with Texas is the high property taxes. In TN, I paid $1100/year for a $260k house on 3 acres of land...the house we are looking at in TX, that's the monthly property tax rate on top of our mortgage! Some areas in TX allow you to choose your own electric company but here we have KUB (Knoxville Utilities Board) and they cover electric, water, sewer (City), gas, and trash. TVA runs the electric around here.

Land here in Knoxville is not terribly expensive and we live about 45 minutes from Gatlinburg. I am probably a lot different from most folks, but I actually prefer the warmer weather of Texas vs having 4 seasons. If you have allergies, TN is definitely going to be an issue for you. As far as jobs go, it's tough to find well-paying jobs here. It does cost less to live here than Texas but the job market in TX is the primary reason we are looking to move there. Knoxville is a medium-sized city, the 3rd largest in the state. We have manufacturing jobs, tourist jobs (Sevierville, Pigeon Forge) and Oak Ridge, as well as universities. The school system here compared to when we lived in Texas a few years ago, Texas definitely has the edge; however, TN schools, at least here in our area, seem to be more friendly and sociable. I was born and raised in TN so I guess I probably fit the mold more so than someone moving from California.

I do love the Fort Worth, Texas area and all it has to offer...except for the tolls, traffic, & property taxes. Our local sales tax here in Knoxville just jumped to nearly 10% but the property taxes are very cheap. TVA offers one of the lowest electricity rates in the nation - our average utility bill runs about $175...that's everything. One thing I noticed while looking for houses in the Ft Worth area, it's very hard to find a house that's not under some type of HOA...for the most part, in TN you can buy acres of land, build your own house, and not have to worry about that. If you want chickens, cattle, and horses in your yard, you can. We have the beautiful mountains here and as others have said, there are lots of activities to do around here. You're 2.5 hours from Nashville, 4 hours from Atlanta, 3 hours from Charlotte, and just down the road from Kentucky. The hospitality of Texans is awesome. We feel welcomed in Texas and enjoy it when we are there. Nashville is another nice city to live in but can be more expensive than that of Knoxville. Memphis...well, that's not really, truly "Tennessee" by Nashville and Knoxville standards...that part of the state is much, much different.

If there were high paying jobs here in Knoxville, we would likely stay just because as we get older, those property taxes in TX are going to be eating away at our savings; on the other hand, the warmer TX weather will certainly feel good on our bones, compared to freezing here in the winter

Old 12-07-2018, 01:36 PM

5 posts, read 12,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big10 View Post
I've lived in both and currently reside in Knoxville, TN. I'm debating on moving my family to Argyle (Nothlake) area, as we really like Texas. The only thing that turns us off, however, with Texas is the high property taxes. In TN, I paid $1100/year for a $260k house on 3 acres of land...the house we are looking at in TX, that's the monthly property tax rate on top of our mortgage! Some areas in TX allow you to choose your own electric company but here we have KUB (Knoxville Utilities Board) and they cover electric, water, sewer (City), gas, and trash. TVA runs the electric around here.

Land here in Knoxville is not terribly expensive and we live about 45 minutes from Gatlinburg. I am probably a lot different from most folks, but I actually prefer the warmer weather of Texas vs having 4 seasons. If you have allergies, TN is definitely going to be an issue for you. As far as jobs go, it's tough to find well-paying jobs here. It does cost less to live here than Texas but the job market in TX is the primary reason we are looking to move there. Knoxville is a medium-sized city, the 3rd largest in the state. We have manufacturing jobs, tourist jobs (Sevierville, Pigeon Forge) and Oak Ridge, as well as universities. The school system here compared to when we lived in Texas a few years ago, Texas definitely has the edge; however, TN schools, at least here in our area, seem to be more friendly and sociable. I was born and raised in TN so I guess I probably fit the mold more so than someone moving from California.

I do love the Fort Worth, Texas area and all it has to offer...except for the tolls, traffic, & property taxes. Our local sales tax here in Knoxville just jumped to nearly 10% but the property taxes are very cheap. TVA offers one of the lowest electricity rates in the nation - our average utility bill runs about $175...that's everything. One thing I noticed while looking for houses in the Ft Worth area, it's very hard to find a house that's not under some type of HOA...for the most part, in TN you can buy acres of land, build your own house, and not have to worry about that. If you want chickens, cattle, and horses in your yard, you can. We have the beautiful mountains here and as others have said, there are lots of activities to do around here. You're 2.5 hours from Nashville, 4 hours from Atlanta, 3 hours from Charlotte, and just down the road from Kentucky. The hospitality of Texans is awesome. We feel welcomed in Texas and enjoy it when we are there. Nashville is another nice city to live in but can be more expensive than that of Knoxville. Memphis...well, that's not really, truly "Tennessee" by Nashville and Knoxville standards...that part of the state is much, much different.

If there were high paying jobs here in Knoxville, we would likely stay just because as we get older, those property taxes in TX are going to be eating away at our savings; on the other hand, the warmer TX weather will certainly feel good on our bones, compared to freezing here in the winter

we are currently in San Antonio - getting ready to move out of Texas to either Oregon or Tennessee - I would love some honest feedback - I am bringing my job with me but we are also bringing two kids with us - we live in San Antonio and the large city life is killing us along with $600 a month added property taxes - FYI FT. Worth is way worse, moving from KnoxVille I can't imagine going into Ft. Worth its population is 5M people! I have allergies to pretty much everything - is it really that bad there? daughter is an actress is there a lot of opportunity for her to expand her horizons there? what is the non-religious scene like? we are at best non-denominational and have heard horror stories of folks that are christian moving to the area and being shunned for not being christian enough...

we love the 4 seasons and we want to help our kids find their tribe - and Texas isn't it for us. Oregon is a swing to the left and Tennessee is a swing to the right (literally and figuratively) - Hubby wants Tennessee and I want Oregon (southern) similar winter climates; vastly different summer climates.

what is the social climate in Knoxville? diverse and inclusive or exclusive and judgy?

TIA, Y'all

Old 12-07-2018, 03:49 PM

431 posts, read 257,215 times
If you want to consider North Texas, I would look at Parker County. It's 20 to 30 minutes west of Fort Worth and I think you'll like it there. I grew up in Weatherford and I think you'll enjoy the vibe in that growing town (home town of the late Larry Hagman of "I Dream of Gennie" and "Dallas" fame) and in my opinion, the prettiest central courthouse in Texas.

If you like more hills and more scenic views, consider the Texas Hill Country west of Austin and San Antonio. Visit towns like Boerne, Fredericksburg, and Marble Falls. Great wine region, awesome Texas BBQ and plenty of outdoor things to do.

I can almost guarantee you'll love any one of these areas.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:25 PM

729 posts, read 532,039 times
Tennessee has a huge problem. That is, it's illegal to make a U-turn anywhere in that state. So, Texas wins!

Old 12-08-2018, 09:21 AM

34 posts, read 32,113 times
I lived in nearly all four corners of Tennessee and I can tell you that I’d rather be anywhere else but there. I live in central Texas and it’s so much better. First off the summers in Tennessee are horrible with the humidity so you sweat just standing around. Next the school systems in nearly every county aren’t up to par as my wife worked as a teacher and they push kids through to make their numbers look good that should be held back a year. Next, the drivers are awful as they AND the truck driver are liable to run you over as I have had a truck driver nearly flip over on me as we took a curve in Knoxville. The small towns are nice as I’ve lived in many, but there’s not going to be much to do. You’ll find yourself driving 30-60 minutes just to get to a good grocery store, depending on traffic. Nashville and Memphis have the worst fish hour traffic, as I’ve seen it take 90 minutes to go 12 miles in Nashville, and see Memphis drivers do 70 in snow covered lanes. As far as cost of living, I’m paying less in central Texas than I have anywhere in Tennessee. I might not see much snow but I’m okay with that as I’ve had enough in East Tennessee. Also, much of Tennessee will get sleet and/or freezing rain from time to time. I hope you find yourself a home in either. Just giving 35 yers of experience in Tennessee.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:24 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacosSon View Post
So here's the story in short form:

My wife and I live in California. We hate it. Can't wait to get out. We've had some heavy encouragement to look into TN and TX. We're in love with both of them! So, I'm posting this in both state's threads. Can you guys help us decide? Here's what we're looking for:

- Small town (2000-15,000 people)
- All 4 seasons (would really like some cold in winter)
- Decent schools
- Jobs (I currently work as an IT Technician and she's a marketing coordinator for architecture)
- 3+ bedroom house with 1+ acres of land for under $220k
- Some conservative American values
- Great outdoor areas (we fish, hunt, camp, offroad and wakeboard/waterski)
- Within an hour or so drive from a city with a decent airport

I hope we're not being too picky, but its a big move since its the only one we'll probably make. We're REALLY leaning toward the Fort Worth area if we choose Texas. Can't stand too much humidity and we've fallen in love with that region. Can't do a dry county, and need some wooded areas to stay sane. We'll probably rent a year before we bought to get to know the area, but we just need to know where to start. If you can tell us some cities, and why you'd think they'd fit us that would be great. Also, any ex-Tennesseers wanna weigh in too? Thanks guys!

Nick & Court

easy - if you speak Spanish - head to Ft worth.
no spanish- Tennessee

Old 12-13-2018, 03:28 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,571 times
I would rather be a fence post in Texas then a king in Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas