Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Wow!...love the last two.
yeah, Houston used to throw down with the Power of Houston display. its a shame they stopped doing it.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
I don't know if it was the storms that did all that or if its just the building owners being cheap and jumping on board with that "lights out" energy saving initiative, but if it is the case of the storms, i don't understand how the lighting on buildings and billboards seem to hold up just fine everywhere else in the city except downtown.

The Wells Fargo plaza replaced theirs in early 2011 with the color changing rooftop, but the other buildings haven't seem to jump on board yet.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Wikipedia says the lighting of the Wedge tower inspired the lighting of the BOA building in Dallas? thats interesting.. i wonder if the lighting on Wedge was damaged during one of the storms?
That's wrong.

Wedge's green lighting came years after Bank of America. It wasn't damaged during the storm, it was turned off in the early 2000's because people in nearby residential towers complained about how bright it was at night in their windows. During the 90's that building was iconic in the Houston skyline. I'm sure maintenance was also an on going issue just as it has been with Dallas' green building. Every time a thunderstorm rolls through it knocks out a bunch of neon tubes & that can get cost prohibitive after awhile which is why Dallas' BOA is redoing theirs with LED as we speak.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That's wrong.

Wedge's green lighting came years after Bank of America. It wasn't damaged during the storm, it was turned off in the early 2000's because people in nearby residential towers complained about how bright it was at night in their windows. During the 90's that building was iconic in the Houston skyline. I'm sure maintenance was also an on going issue just as it has been with Dallas' green building. Every time a thunderstorm rolls through it knocks out a bunch of neon tubes & that can get cost prohibitive after awhile which is why Dallas' BOA is redoing theirs with LED as we speak.
Ive said this a million times but "I Work in this Building"...and to see all the upgrades happening is interesting. They tore up the entire entrance an Plaza its like a war zone gettin in and out of the building. They are changing all of the elevators too, all 24 of them...Cant wait to they start changing the lighting...I just want to witness the process and progress first-hand.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Hey Texas Tallest!...Fireworks huh?!?

Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Quote:
That's wrong.

Do you know when it will be completed?

Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
I get the feeling that I'm supposed to be impressed, but I'm not sure.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Do you know when it will be completed?
I'd imagine they'd want the lighting completed before the Christmas season. Some time in the 4th quarter of this year would be my guess, however, they'll probably turn it on a little bit at a time just to test it out & work out the bugs. No system is absolutely perfect no matter neon or LED.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:28 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times
Quote:
It wasn't damaged during the storm, it was turned off in the early 2000's because people in nearby residential towers complained about how bright it was at night in their windows.
if that is true then thats a shame. they couldnt leave them on until midnight or something? i was also wondering if it was due to the energy saving initiative they had going on with the lights in downtown for a while.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
if that is true then thats a shame. they couldnt leave them on until midnight or something? i was also wondering if it was due to the energy saving initiative they had going on with the lights in downtown for a while.
Was more of a maintenance issue just like BOA. Storms constantly wrecking havoc on the glass tubes & transformers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas