Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 08:26 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Something that is overlooked in these Dallas vs Houston threads is how much more Downtown Dallas functions and resembles an actual downtown, compared to how DT Houston functions and in many ways appears more like an office park with very tall buildings.

In Dallas, the city blocks are small and compact. The streets are narrow. The buildings are better situated from a ground-level perspective for pedestrian activity.

In Houston, you have large city blocks and wide streets with many buildings awkwardly setback from the street. The downtown area is also dominated and cutoff by massive freeways.

I'll always prefer having an impressive city-scape over a massive skyline.
What makes smaller, compact blocks better? Nyc and san Fran have some big blocks and wide streets too. And I don't know of any awkward setbacks. Please point those out. And let's not act like Dallas isnt surrounded by freeways either. You just now have a small section of one with a tiny park over it.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
We never asked if you were a fan of Houston. I've got friends that live in Dallas that can't wait to get back to Houston. That's beside the point.. This is a skyline topic and Houston dominates in terms of skylines...

Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
What makes smaller, compact blocks better? Nyc and san Fran have some big blocks and wide streets too. And I don't know of any awkward setbacks. Please point those out. And let's not act like Dallas isnt surrounded by freeways either. You just now have a small section of one with a tiny park over it.
Photo credit: Ebird

Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
What makes it better? Show some proof.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
whats with the rolling eyes? i think the majority of us can agree that Houstons skyline is much more vast and definitely taller. we have two supertalls downtown, dallas has none. we have a 900 footer in uptown. whats the tallest building in uptown Dallas.. like 500 feet? Houston has over 100 more high rises than Dallas.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Something that is overlooked in these Dallas vs Houston threads is how much more Downtown Dallas functions and resembles an actual downtown, compared to how DT Houston functions and in many ways appears more like an office park with very tall buildings.

In Dallas, the city blocks are small and compact. The streets are narrow. The buildings are better situated from a ground-level perspective for pedestrian activity.

In Houston, you have large city blocks and wide streets with many buildings awkwardly setback from the street. The downtown area is also dominated and cutoff by massive freeways.

I'll always prefer having an impressive city-scape over a massive skyline.

I hadnt really noticed that before, but I agree. The tighter knit the urban fabric is the better the downtown is for the pedestrian.
Spent some time in and around DT Dallas this week and it really is infilling nicely and the city surrounding it, through uptown, deep ellum and Mckinney ave is bustling.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
whats with the rolling eyes? i think the majority of us can agree that Houstons skyline is much more vast and definitely taller. we have two supertalls downtown, dallas has none. we have a 900 footer in uptown. whats the tallest building in uptown Dallas.. like 500 feet? Houston has over 100 more high rises than Dallas.
Dude. Im not arguing the height of the skylines. The numbers speak for themselves. I just find your obsession at anything posted positive toward Dallas juxtaposed with a rebuttal about how amazing Houston is amusing. Your number laden response means a newt sized dung drop to me, but from the bottom of my heart, congratulations on your two supertalls it appears to complete you.

Last edited by Aceraceae; 08-06-2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Dude. Im not arguing the height of the skylines. The numbers speak for themselves. I just find your obsession at anything posted positive toward Dallas juxtaposed with a rebuttal about how amazing Houston is amusing. Your number laden response means a newt sized dung drop to me, but from the bottom of my heart, congratulations on your two supertalls it appears to complete you.
Really Houston only has one supertall and its only 2' over the threshold and BofA Dallas is only 75' shorter...

Old 08-06-2013, 10:05 PM

200 posts, read 294,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Really Houston only has one supertall and its only 2' over the threshold and BofA Dallas is only 75' shorter...
Technically, most define a supertall as anything above 300 meters. The Wells Fargo Plaza is usually classified as a supertall by most skyscraper sites and forums.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Photo credit: Ebird
Two can play the cherry-picking game.

http://placepics.triposo.com/N__1199379486.jpeg

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarkin...114e1d2ef7.jpg

Now let's examine what a typical downtown Dallas street looks like:

http://0.tqn.com/d/gaytravel/1/0/n/D...kyscrapers.jpg

...hardly worlds away from what Houston offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas