Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 02:41 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,391,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
LMAO. how was that a slam? i was simply pointing out a fact that SA is larger than Dallas. note, he said CITIES. not METROs. i give Dallas props where they are due, i just dont care for its superiority complex so my rebuttals may come off to Dallasites as "inferior complex". whatever you want to think..
So Are we supposed to cry because you point something so useless out.....
Houston is double the size of Dallas....not its metro tho.... its GDP is BARELY higher than Dallas's...Populations nean NOTHING .

Old 11-25-2013, 03:28 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,042,687 times
While I'm on Dallas' side, JoninATX made a false statement that Dallas was one of Texas' two largest cities and TexasTallest justly corrected him. So what if you can argue that city size doesn't matter compared to metro size? He clearly said city and was clearly wrong. Now get over it and start arguing points that makes us look good, not points that make us look like idiots.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:25 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,243,682 times
To me, Dallas is still the state's 2nd largest city. I know i've said it before and will say it again, Dallas is more representative as a city than S/A. It has more and bigger buildings, transit, larger airport, and employment.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:46 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,533,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
To me, Dallas is still the state's 2nd largest city. I know i've said it before and will say it again, Dallas is more representative as a city than S/A. It has more and bigger buildings, transit, larger airport, and employment.
I agree that Dallas definitely feels like the 2nd largest city. SAs skyline is so weak for a city of its size.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:04 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,042,687 times
Quote:
I see what you're saying and agree but since it's technically not the second largest city, it's ridiculous to lambast someone for politely pointing it out. The person should've just said he meant metropolitan area and that probably would've been the end of it rather than go on about how city population doesn't matter so somehow it not being important makes it not wrong.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:32 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,779,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I see what you're saying and agree but since it's technically not the second largest city, it's ridiculous to lambast someone for politely pointing it out. The person should've just said he meant metropolitan area and that probably would've been the end of it rather than go on about how city population doesn't matter so somehow it not being important makes it not wrong.
You are right in a sense, but it was equally ridiculous to correct JoninATX when everybody here knows what he's talking about. City is a vague word.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:31 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,811,019 times
Quote:
I've been traveling to both Dallas and Houston, as well as San Antonio and Austin for years on business and just chose to move to Dallas this year. Honestly, Dallas feels like the largest city in the state to me.
I know Houston is larger, but when you look at things like DART in Dallas that has so many lines / miles / stations, and then you look at Houston with that tiny one short line of light rail, just makes an impression that Dallas is larger.
Also, growing up as an out of state, non Texan, Dallas sort of always got the attention of out of staters....famous events ike The Cotton Bowl.....TV shows like Dallas......heck, even the JFK shooting (sad as it was). Seems for most outside of Texas, Dallas has always been thought of first, which in turn, sort of makes people think Dallas is the largest.
On skylines, Houston's wins by a small margin on height and number of buildings. The Dallas skyline wins by the fact it has more diversity and did a better job of preserving older, taller buildings.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
You are right in a sense, but it was equally ridiculous to correct JoninATX when everybody here knows what he's talking about. City is a vague word.
so if i claimed Houston was the largest metro in the state and a Dallasite corrected me, would that Dallasites correction be equally ridiculous as mine? surely everyone knew i meant biggest city, not metro..

Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I've been traveling to both Dallas and Houston, as well as San Antonio and Austin for years on business and just chose to move to Dallas this year. Honestly, Dallas feels like the largest city in the state to me.
I know Houston is larger, but when you look at things like DART in Dallas that has so many lines / miles / stations, and then you look at Houston with that tiny one short line of light rail, just makes an impression that Dallas is larger.
Also, growing up as an out of state, non Texan, Dallas sort of always got the attention of out of staters....famous events ike The Cotton Bowl.....TV shows like Dallas......heck, even the JFK shooting (sad as it was). Seems for most outside of Texas, Dallas has always been thought of first, which in turn, sort of makes people think Dallas is the largest.
On skylines, Houston's wins by a small margin on height and number of buildings. The Dallas skyline wins by the fact it has more diversity and did a better job of preserving older, taller buildings.
so you feel a good judgement for the "feel" of the size of a city is the size of its light rail system? interesting.. by those standards Dallas would be the biggest city in the US. you dont think something like highway infrastructure, number of loops around each city, number of international airports, number of supertall buildings, number of fortune 500 companies, or something more relative than a light rail system would be a better criteria for a cities size?
we all know how incompetent METRO is, that DART gets way more funding, and had that they a decade head start on METRO. comparing DART to METRO is comparing apples to oranges, just as comparing pretty much all the examples i listed between Houston and Dallas would be like comparing apples to oranges.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:17 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,151,379 times
Ok, I want to correct myself. I'm happy that the 2 largest metropolitans in Texas are going through massive developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas