Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 07:21 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,012 times

Advertisements

Your reasoning is pathetic.

Aside from that long rabbit chase about bridges, it's about time this thread returns to skylines.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:34 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Hartman Bridge is not in Houston. That would be Baytown and La Porte.

Houston doesn't have a signature bridge.
Still in Harris County & goes over the HOUSTON Ship Channel.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Agree with most everything up until you said the Montrose bridges weren't signature bridges.. They are indeed signature bridges that are iconic to that stretch of 59/69. They just aren't tall signature bridges.
Ok. Signature? Sure.

They aren't anything iconic, MHH is much more so.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:46 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
smhhh.. when i said Houston i meant H-O-U-S-T-O-N... just as when most of you say Dallas your actually referring to DFW.

btw, Houston (the city) doesnt have signature bridges?

they will look even nicer when the new LED lighting is installed on the arches.

of course they arent. there is nothing to hate on about the Houston bridge. it was built at a reasonable cost, is unique, and we never hyped it up like its the best thing since sliced bread. i can guarentee you if there were half as many press releases and publicity surrounding the Houston bridge when it first opened as their were the Dallas bridge, plenty of Dallasites would of raised an eyebrow or two.
Those useless bridges over 59 dont have ANY water under them.....why such an elaborate design for 100 foot bridges that dont even let you on or off the freeway?

Old 12-14-2013, 07:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Both bridges are cable-stayed bridges, which are very common. The design for the Fred Hartman is definitely the more ordinary of the two. Similar designs are all over the world. I like the Margaret Hill design better myself. At least it took the cable-stayed form in a new direction.

The reason it could is because it is not spanning a wide, navigable waterway. Piers in the center of a bridge's "span" actually defeat the purpose of a bridge. Depending on your perspective in this debate, you will either see that Calatrava took unique advantage of his site, which allowed form over function (a truly unusual circumstance in bridge design) and pushed the envelope of design to exploit this, or you will see this as pure ornament and masturbatory bridge design.

Count me among the former.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:19 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
Quote:
smhhh.. when i said Houston i meant H-O-U-S-T-O-N... just as when most of you say Dallas your actually referring to DFW.

btw, Houston (the city) doesnt have signature bridges?

they will look even nicer when the new LED lighting is installed on the arches.

of course they arent. there is nothing to hate on about the Houston bridge. it was built at a reasonable cost, is unique, and we never hyped it up like its the best thing since sliced bread. i can guarentee you if there were half as many press releases and publicity surrounding the Houston bridge when it first opened as their were the Dallas bridge, plenty of Dallasites would of raised an eyebrow or two.
Oh my. I will just refer to what BCB posted.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:46 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Your reasoning is pathetic.

Aside from that long rabbit chase about bridges, it's about time this thread returns to skylines.
Your misunderstanding of my points is pathetic. It's ok to use the excuse that MHH connects Dallas to west Dallas, but it's not ok to use the same excuse for the bridges connecting the Montrose and River Oaks to the Museum District areas? I'm ready to get back to skyscrapers too. I'm not a bridge aficionado but I do love my skyscrapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Ok. Signature? Sure.

They aren't anything iconic, MHH is much more so.
Agreed MHH is more iconic than the Montrose bridges. I never said it wasn't, or compared the two for that matter. If the Montrose bridges were 400' tall, designed by a world renown architect, not some Txdot engineer, and cost over 180 million dollars they would probably be similarly "iconic".

Old 12-14-2013, 08:54 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
Quote:
Your misunderstanding of my points is pathetic. It's ok to use the excuse that MHH connects Dallas to west Dallas, but it's not ok to use the same excuse for the bridges connecting the Montrose and River Oaks to the Museum District areas? I'm ready to get back to skyscrapers too. I'm not a bridge aficionado but I do love my skyscrapers.

Agreed MHH is more iconic than the Montrose bridges. I never said it wasn't, or compared the two for that matter. If the Montrose bridges were 400' tall, designed by a world renown architect, not some Txdot engineer, and cost over 180 million dollars they would probably be similarly "iconic".

Old 12-14-2013, 09:31 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,012 times
There's no hope.

Last edited by BCB; 12-14-2013 at 09:40 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 09:57 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
umm... I think all of the straws have been grasped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas