U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
 
1,841 posts, read 2,353,875 times
Reputation: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I just dont think random tall buildings sticking out of the landscape looks very attractive. I like how in Uptown Dallas the buildings are all around the same height, this creates a more intimate urban neighborhood feel like you have in DC and such. Random tall buildings is like a glorified office park.
^ My sentiments also.

I appreciate the DC skyline with it's lowrise/midrise clusters. Building height has never impressed me, individual design and skyline layout does. Houston's skyline is large but the styles and overall layout do not appear well thoughtout. I find Dallas' Uptown and Downtown more visually appealing.

Having Fort Worth's skyline nearby is a bonus.

 
Old 05-01-2010, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,390 posts, read 1,988,464 times
Reputation: 1135
Quality always rules over quantity and Dallas wins in this category. People keep mentioning the many skylines of Houston, but its not like Dallas doesn't have many areas that have highrises. Galleria and Las Colinas are very nice clustered skylines. There are highrises all along central expressway and LBJ freeways. Richardson/Plano have some nice highrise areas. Yes they are taller in Houston but that just isnt visually appealing. That Williams tower down there is a nice building in the wrong setting. It just looks awful where its located.
 
Old 05-01-2010, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
3,269 posts, read 5,046,259 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
That's just the nature of the beast of the DFW concept. Using Fort Worth and their economy is the only way Dallas can stand a chance to compete with Houston!
Don't hate because DFW has 2 major cities and Houston don't!
 
Old 05-01-2010, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,390 posts, read 1,988,464 times
Reputation: 1135
Its funny in these Houston vs Dallas or Atlanta vs Dallas threads they use that "well you have to use Ft Worth to be better than us" line like its a bad thing. Ft Worth is very much a part of the Dallas culture and vice versa because its one large area. People here love that there are two major cities with great amenities in the same metro area. Wow if I really wanted to prove my point and hurt someones feelings I would definitely bring up having 2 major cities in one metro as a bad thing! lol
 
Old 05-01-2010, 02:34 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
9,505 posts, read 9,127,449 times
Reputation: 4024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
^ My sentiments also.

I appreciate the DC skyline with it's lowrise/midrise clusters. Building height has never impressed me, individual design and skyline layout does. Houston's skyline is large but the styles and overall layout do not appear well thoughtout. I find Dallas' Uptown and Downtown more visually appealing.

Having Fort Worth's skyline nearby is a bonus.
How can our skyline be a bonus when it's 30 miles away (it's not that visable from Dallas due to distance, let alone the fact that it's not as tall or wide as the Dallas skyline)?


Again, stop using Fort Worth in this. We may be in the same area, but we're not one big city. It's Houston or Dallas. Not Houston or DFW...
 
Old 05-01-2010, 02:52 PM
 
1,841 posts, read 2,353,875 times
Reputation: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
How can our skyline be a bonus when it's 30 miles away (it's not that visable from Dallas due to distance, let alone the fact that it's not as tall or wide as the Dallas skyline)?


Again, stop using Fort Worth in this. We may be in the same area, but we're not one big city. It's Houston or Dallas. Not Houston or DFW...
The Fort Worth mention was a joke in reference to C2H's craziness. Chill.
 
Old 05-01-2010, 05:19 PM
 
2,498 posts, read 1,993,824 times
Reputation: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
The Fort Worth mention was a joke in reference to C2H's craziness. Chill.
 
Old 05-01-2010, 07:00 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
8,758 posts, read 7,830,685 times
Reputation: 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
^ My sentiments also.

I appreciate the DC skyline with it's lowrise/midrise clusters. Building height has never impressed me, individual design and skyline layout does. Houston's skyline is large but the styles and overall layout do not appear well thoughtout. I find Dallas' Uptown and Downtown more visually appealing.

Having Fort Worth's skyline nearby is a bonus.
I still don't see how you say Houston doesn't have a skyline layout. That's new. The developers did it on purpose. It's in a pattern, with the Heritage Plaza in the middle. Now, there is no height limit or anything, but the skyline's layout is nice. Maybe you meant something different by skyline layout though.

The closest thing Houston has to DC is the Texas Medical Center. I don't think there is another area in Texas as built and dense as the TMC.
 
Old 05-01-2010, 07:06 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
8,758 posts, read 7,830,685 times
Reputation: 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Quality always rules over quantity and Dallas wins in this category. People keep mentioning the many skylines of Houston, but its not like Dallas doesn't have many areas that have highrises. Galleria and Las Colinas are very nice clustered skylines. There are highrises all along central expressway and LBJ freeways. Richardson/Plano have some nice highrise areas. Yes they are taller in Houston but that just isnt visually appealing. That Williams tower down there is a nice building in the wrong setting. It just looks awful where its located.
Those buildings in Richardson/Plano are no different than what you'd find in the Energy Corridor in Houston, or The Woodlands, or Sugar Land. Galleria Dallas and Las Colinas is no different than Greenway Plaza, or Westchase, or Greenspoint. After that, that's when Houston separates itself from DFW. DFW just doesn't have the amount or height of Houston. The only quality I see with Dallas, is that the buildings in its Downtown look better when looked at individually. Houston's looks better as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Its funny in these Houston vs Dallas or Atlanta vs Dallas threads they use that "well you have to use Ft Worth to be better than us" line like its a bad thing. Ft Worth is very much a part of the Dallas culture and vice versa because its one large area. People here love that there are two major cities with great amenities in the same metro area. Wow if I really wanted to prove my point and hurt someones feelings I would definitely bring up having 2 major cities in one metro as a bad thing! lol
I like that Houston can have all of that rolled up into one (the Inner Loop). I'm in Dallas right now, and there is easily a difference.
 
Old 05-01-2010, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
889 posts, read 1,216,393 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Quality always rules over quantity and Dallas wins in this category. People keep mentioning the many skylines of Houston, but its not like Dallas doesn't have many areas that have highrises. Galleria and Las Colinas are very nice clustered skylines. There are highrises all along central expressway and LBJ freeways. Richardson/Plano have some nice highrise areas. Yes they are taller in Houston but that just isnt visually appealing. That Williams tower down there is a nice building in the wrong setting. It just looks awful where its located.
Quality may rule over quantity, but when one city's quantity is double another city's, than quanity rules.

How many buildings outside of DT Dallas hold up against the quality of Houston's secondary buildings and skyline. Even including FW, most of their quality buildings are rather short.

They come up short against the combined strengths of Williams Tower, San Felipe Plaza, and the other notable Uptown buildings, St. Lukes Medical Tower, Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza, Methodist Outpatient Center, and the other TMC buildings, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top